1.    #1  
    I'm on Verizon, so I don't pay anything extra to use the hotspot feature, but I still have to really watch my GBs toward the end of the billing cycle, since it's limited to five. But I get unlimited data when I'm not using the hotspot.

As much as I *LOVE* watching YouTube on my teeny tiny screen :s, I was hoping there was a way to put the screen on my computer. I often see videos of apps in the App Store and it looks like they've been recorded right from the computer.

How could I, a lowly lay-person, put my phone's screen on my computer?

Thanks for any help!

Kate
    not possible unless you pointed a webcam at your phone and watched that on your PC.

U could also download the clips to your Pre, and they play them from the phone connected via USB. Probably would look pretty bad if you tried to watch full screen.
    The ones that look like they were done on a larger screen were probably using the emulator on a computer for the app screenshots.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    anyways...the youtube videos will only playback @ 360p on a Pre, so blowing them up on a larger screen won't make too much difference.

But as Cantaffordit said. Downloading the videos and playing back via USB, would be the only solution there. There are no external monitor ports on the pre, and I don't believe you can connect a monitor via microusb, or the headphone jack
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    I'm on Verizon, so I don't pay anything extra to use the hotspot feature, but I still have to really watch my GBs toward the end of the billing cycle, since it's limited to five. But I get unlimited data when I'm not using the hotspot.

As much as I *LOVE* watching YouTube on my teeny tiny screen :s, I was hoping there was a way to put the screen on my computer. I often see videos of apps in the App Store and it looks like they've been recorded right from the computer.

How could I, a lowly lay-person, put my phone's screen on my computer?

Thanks for any help!

Kate
    In theory I guess a remote control service like VNC might work. Essentially if you had a VNC service on the PRE that could be remotely controlled via the PC then you could see things on your PC that were happening on the PRE. But as pointed out the resolution would be low - just bigger.

I think you lost me a bit. Are you setup so your only access to Internet is via Mobile Hotspot? My understanding of the 5GB limit is that this applies to all data use on the phone not just Mobile Hotspot. The limit isn't supposed to be a hard limit either... but repeated violations of this will result in problems possibly including dropping your service. I know of no one who has had this happen.

EDIT: I checked and I cannot find any VNC Server for the Pre. I can find VNC clients that allow you to see your PC's video and control it but not vice versa. In theory it would be possible however.

EDIT2: A proprietary solution for Symbian exists: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Displ...C-104756.shtml maybe they would port it? It's not cheap however.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 12/08/2010 at 02:16 PM.
    @unclevenya

here is how MHS and the data plan work on VZW:

data used by the phone itself, and the hotspot app NOT running, it unlimited. that's all browsing, streaming, email, etc.

But, when you turn on the MHS app, all data consumed by the connected PCs AND any data consumed by the phone and counted toward the 5G monthly limit. It's cool that you can surf on your pre while someone uses your MHS, but everything you do on the phone will be counted as MHS traffic.

This is not a "soft" limit like Sprint or Tmobile. Every bit beyond the 5G limit is paid for and it's very expensive.

That said, it sounds like the OP is using his MHS as his primary internet connection from his computer, and he's trying to use the unlimited data of the phone to actually pull in the data.

The flaw in thinking from a billing standpoint is that if he is running MHS, it's all going toward the MHS limit.

What he wants to do is only available on a few phones such as the EVO that have HDMI output - but that is to display on a TV and I'm not sure how he would convert that to an input on the laptop.

He can solve the MHS cap by using the MyTether/FreeTether approach, but it isn't going to help him watch it on the pc. But if he downloaded a bunch of videos on the phone, he could put it in usb mode and play them on the computer. It would just be limiting him to mobile-optimized resolution that would get really fuzzy at full screen.
  7.    #7  
    Wow! Thank you all for answering!

@Cantaffordit

Actually, "he" is a "she". Thanks for detailing to Unclevanya how the billing for the MHS works.

I just want to make clear that I only wanted to see if I could display whatever was on my phone on another, bigger screen--not use data illegally or go through some back door to get it--just display it on a secondary monitor, that's all.

Yes, my Pre is the only access to internet that I have. I spend way more time on my phone than I do on my computer, so it usually works out pretty well. It's just when we go video happy that we start running up against our limit with the Hotspot. (We turn the laptop on for video watching--bigger screen is much easier on the eyes.)

Thank you again for all your help!

Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Wow! Thank you all for answering!

@Cantaffordit

Actually, "he" is a "she". Thanks for detailing to Unclevanya how the billing for the MHS works.

I just want to make clear that I only wanted to see if I could display whatever was on my phone on another, bigger screen--not use data illegally or go through some back door to get it--just display it on a secondary monitor, that's all.

Yes, my Pre is the only access to internet that I have. I spend way more time on my phone than I do on my computer, so it usually works out pretty well. It's just when we go video happy that we start running up against our limit with the Hotspot. (We turn the laptop on for video watching--bigger screen is much easier on the eyes.)

Thank you again for all your help!

Kate
    LOL!!

Cantaffordit, you should know better and what part of KATE in the username didn't give away the female part? LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    LOL!!

Cantaffordit, you should know better and what part of KATE in the username didn't give away the female part? LOL!
    Also she signed it

Kate

So even if it was possible that katefields was just some guys messed up childhood fantasy creeping into the boards.. You can't mistake a sig like just Kate.!

Lol

Welcome Kate.. Stop by Loot when you get a chance ver will explain

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Also she signed it

Kate

So even if it was possible that katefields was just some guys messed up childhood fantasy creeping into the boards.. You can't mistake a sig like just Kate.!

Lol

Welcome Kate.. Stop by Loot when you get a chance ver will explain

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Wait?!? I will?

LOOT=Land Of Off Topic, where we females are few, but much adored!