Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    govnah told me tonight that the cpu was at -12c. How cold is too cold?
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Wow, that's past freezing. You're not in the Artic by chance?
  3.    #3  
    Nope, hanging out in good ole East Tennessee.
    In a slaughterhouse freezer in East Tennessee?
  5.    #5  
    don't think a slaughterhouse freezer would be that cold...
    Since -12c is about 10F, I'd say someone exchanged your phone for an ice cube! LOL
    Storing one's phone in the freezer is not advisable! LOL!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    govnah needs to reduce the temperature for a stable overclocking.
    That's normal ;-)
    The Pre should be fine below freezing for a short period of time. AMOLED screens can handle temperatures below that and the Texas Instruments board can as well.

The worry I would have is with condensation when you start to warm it back up. Short circuiting the internals due to water collecting on the inside of your phone would be rather bad. Overall, keep your phone close to your body (in a shirt pocket inside a jacket) when you are out and about in the cold. If your phone does 'freeze', shut it off, take out the battery, and let it warm up in a dry room.

Note: that last piece of advice should be followed on any new electronics you are getting via UPS/FedEx/etc. this Christmas season.
  10.    #10  
    Was outside reffing soccer games from 5:30 till 11 last night and just had to see how cold the phone actually got. Weatherman said it only got to 23 last night but my thermometer at home said 7 when I got there.
    It is very possible that the temperature sensor in the phone is not calibrated for lower temperatures.
    Hey Im in east TN as well and mine got down about that low, its been so stinking cold here, I miss the days when the phone was like 45 degrees so I could cuddle with it.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I find my battery pretty much goes immediately to DEAD whenever the phone gets below 10F.
    That low I'm more worried other parts breaking like the screen or eventual condensation from the temp differentials faulting the mainboard.

CPUs could operate much lower than that in general. The cooler they run, the better they run. Got a northwood cpu at -200F to give it a sweet overclock
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    It's low, but I wouldn't be concerned unless it was in that temperature range for an extended period of time (few days maybe)

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by wotan View Post
    I find my battery pretty much goes immediately to DEAD whenever the phone gets below 10F.
    Yeah. Batteries don't 'store' electrons. They are reversible chemical reactions and that process fails at low temperatures.
    I highly doubt that your cpu is at -12, otherwize your phone would be very cold to the touch.
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  18.    #18  
    phone was ridiculously cold to the touch, like there was ice on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by millworkman View Post
    phone was ridiculously cold to the touch, like there was ice on it.
    New feature in smartphone, icepack for coolers! What a way to keep my beer cool for the game and get my email
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Okay. So -20c is normal in Toronto so wondering what will happen if I leave it in the car on over night or something?.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast