Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone actually delt with overclocking voiding your warranty? Don't really won't to do it for what it is worth if it does actually void any warranty. Just got my phone back from Bell under warranty work (spider cracked screen) and hoping same issue won't happen again. So if anyone knows for sure about the voiding warranty from overclocking, let me know plz!!!
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes! Anytime you have a warranty and overclock the processor in something, it will void it.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Yes! Anytime you have a warranty and overclock the processor in something, it will void it.
    OCing does not always mean you void the warranty. I own 3 laptops atm that came with pre installed OCing utilities provided by the manufacture. Nvidia use to provide tools to OC the old geforce cards its not always OC and void the warranty.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    What if the overclocking had nothing to do with the problem though, for example screen cracking.
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes it voids. But I haven't read any story about a declined exchange/repair because of OC.
    We have read about declining repair/exchange because of installed preware.
    But we have the word from palm/hp that preware doesn't void your warranty.

So in short: It depends on the shop of your service provider and if they know what kernel/governor/uberkernel/some jet fighter is ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by shabby71 View Post
    What if the overclocking had nothing to do with the problem though, for example screen cracking.
    irrelevant
    It does void the warranty but is an acceptable trade IMO.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    If overclocking could only speed up time so I can get to August 2011 quickly and get out of my contract.
    Someone show me explicitly where Palm says that overclocking your device will void your warranty please.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    if you doctor your phone before taking it in, there wont be any issue.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    But, that would be considered fraud if the overclocking caused the issue with the phone (Processor death or something).
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    that's true, but I was responding to the previous post about other warranty issues not related to the cpu.

you and I are in agreement
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Someone show me explicitly where Palm says that overclocking your device will void your warranty please.
    I know I've seen it. But do I really need to go search around the internet to prove it to you? Come on, it's common knowledge...
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Okay. 'Cos I'm bored, here you go. Although it does just say might.

A statement on the “overclocking” patches | Palm Developer Center Blog

Chuq Von Rospach says...

Palm is working hard to improve the speed and performance of webOS, as shown in our recent 1.4 update. While we appreciate the effort the webOS community has put forth to try and help us along that path, the use of this application is neither endorsed nor recommended by Palm and will likely result in a voided warranty. Palm encourages webOS users to let Palm release official updates that provide safe, reliable, over-the-air features that improve their device in a number of areas, as we have in the past at a rate of approximately once per month.
    Sorry Chuq, but can't wait for Palm. I chose the alternative, which provides safe, reliable, over-the-air features that improve my device in a number of other areas neglected so far by Palm.
    Last edited by johncc; 12/08/2010 at 05:39 AM.
    Hey, it's worth it. If it breaks your phone, who cares... these phones are near unusable without overclocking.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    i just exchanged my phone (under warranty) and I did NOT unpatch it or remove the overclocking. Sprint had no problem. In fact, the rep i talked with also had a patched pre. Im sure if you got a ****ed off rep he "could" tell you that you voided the warranty but overall i dont think they care if you OC.
    Wow, this thread brings back old memories. This was a hot topic when overclocking required installing a .sh file from a command line. It seemed complicated to those new to homebrew hackery (myself included at the time) and thus caused some concern. But people quickly overcame their fears and did it anyway and now that the process is as easy for the end user as installing a patch/app from Preware, few people even give it a second thought.

Of course voiding the warranty is a real risk, If I recall correctly the precise wording is that unauthorized software modifications "may void your warranty". That means they can void it, and likely would if the modifications were a potential cause for the failure. But they are not likely to void the warranty if the failure is not related in any way to the modifications.

Each time I say "they" I am referring to Palm since "they" are the manufacturer of the device. Your carrier is simply the re-seller and doesn't have the same ownership and obligations as the manufacturer.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevillain View Post
    Hey, it's worth it. If it breaks your phone, who cares... these phones are near unusable without overclocking.
    I care, thats who. My phone seemed to work just fine without overclocking, maybe a little slower but it worked. Why would you say that the phone is near unusable????????
    You're right! if the pre may die why should I overclock it?!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevillain View Post
    I think you've brainwashed yourself. Try it without overclocking again. I do not overclock and my phone is fine. I had a buddy who was running 1ghz uberkernel and doctored and was amazed that the phone really wasn't that slow compared to what he was used to. He is no longer overclocking.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast