1.    #1  
    Discover just sent me one of the new "Zip" cards, which acts like a proximity card. You can pay for your purchase by just tapping the card on the credit card reader device.

They also sent a "Zip sticker" which is about 1/4 the size of a traditional credit card. They suggest sticking this small zip card to your cellphone so you can easily pay for your purchases by tapping your cellphone on the credit card device. Here's a photo of my Pre+ with the touchstone cover removed and the zip card next to them.

I had the idea to insert the zip card INSIDE my Pre+ between the phone & touchstone cover. I placed the Zip Card on top of the battery and reattached the touchstone cover. When I placed the Pre+ on the touchstone, it immediately went through a reboot. After the reboot, the phone seems to be working as usual.

I haven't attempted to make a purchase with the Zip card inside the Pre+ yet. I was hoping someone else here may have some experience?

Here's how Discover suggests attaching the Zip card to your cell phone:
    Last edited by AlbanyHDTV; 12/07/2010 at 11:06 AM.
    here is an article and thread where someone put an rfid tag in his pre, so it should be possible.

that battery cover doesn't have any magnets, they are all in the charging puck.

he got front page coverage!

http://www.precentral.net/rfid-chip-transplanted-pre-works-4
    Quote Originally Posted by pointy View Post
    i thought the battery cover did have magnets where those four dots are. They align the phone with the touchstone, right???
    Nope... the small dots are metal pieces that the magnets in the touchstone pull to.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    the magnets are in the TS but you do know that the way inductive charging works is by using magnetic fields to induce a current, right?
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Really your bigger concern is RFID scanner scammers pulling your cc info when standing near you in congested public places. It's on the rise, it's cheap and easy. So look into a sleeve/pouch to prevent random unintended scanning.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    According to Mythbusters it takes an extremely powerful magnet to wipe the data from a credit card. Something much stronger than what is in the touchstone.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    But RFID is not magneticaly stores data. It is a transmitter that bouces back data when an incoming radio signal is received. I an wondering how many transmissions a tag has and if the touchstone will cause it to constantly transmit?

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    According to Mythbusters it takes an extremely powerful magnet to wipe the data from a credit card. Something much stronger than what is in the touchstone.
    I was fiddling with my ATM/Debit/Credit card one day and set it on my touchstone for just a second or two. Wiped it right out.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    MRI machines wipe credit cards very efficiently!
  10. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Tried putting the Zip sticker inside the touchstone compatible cover/backplate after I read this post. The zip sticker fits neatly inside the cover, but when I tried to use to pay via my pre, it did not register the zip card with the machine. I will try the zip sticker to make sure that it did not de-magnetize the sticker . . . any1 else have any luck with it?

Great idea~
    did you put it on the touchstone charger while that ting was in your phone? :O
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    I don't know about credit cards, but I've killed a bunch of hotel room keys and airport parking tickets with the blackberry sleave in the same pocket. Took me a while to figure out why it kept happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by jckatz View Post
    But RFID is not magneticaly stores data. It is a transmitter that bouces back data when an incoming radio signal is received. I an wondering how many transmissions a tag has and if the touchstone will cause it to constantly transmit?

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums Beta
    They transmit by receiving energy from the place they're transmitting to, so theoretically it can transmit indefinitely.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    those RFID cards are an easy way to have your identity stolen... throw them away...

Security Watch: RFID-enabled credit card theft - CNET Reviews
    Palm IV > Palm Treo 600 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre Plus > Nokia Lumia 920
    Quote Originally Posted by gilcarvr View Post
    those RFID cards are an easy way to have your identity stolen... throw them away...

Definitely... but not until it's in hundreds of little bitty pieces.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    I'm waiting till Steve Gibson approves them before I go near them. Until they have a standardized security system that he approves of, it's not worth it.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilcarvr View Post

A couple of points here...

Having your credit card info stolen is not "Identity Theft".

Identity Theft is where a person steals enough of your personal identification so that they can assume your identity...buy a house in your name, open up revolving charge accounts in your name, etc. This is a very bad thing and can take literally YEARS to sort out sometimes.

Having your credit card info stolen...while not a good thing...is not the end of the world. Call your bank when you see the fraudulent charges. They'll credit you for the fraudulent charges, cancel your compromised credit card, and issue you a new one. Move on.

Another thing...Mr. Vamosi (the writer of the above-referenced article) should do a little more research. There are no "batteries" in RFID tags. That's not how they work. There's a little inductive coil in them. The RFID READER puts out an electromagnetic field and that field energizes the RFID chip circuit via the inductive coil (find someone who has an American Express Blue card; you can actually see the chip and inductive coil in the card because the Amex blue cards are transparent)