1.    #1  
    Hi there,

I am thinking about getting me a Palm Pre Plus. Can I use it on WiFi only (i.e. disabling data transfer and only allowing calls on mobile connections) so I do not have to buy an Internet Flat?
    I know that this option exists on the iPhone, but is it possible with the Pre too?

Thanks for your answers,
    Chris
    Yes, there is a Data On/Off option in the main menu. This will stop all mobile G/E/3G data transfer, but will still allow WiFi data when availalbe. It's a good way of making the battery last longer
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Do read up on activating the phone over wifi, though. It's not possible by default, but I think there's a workaround somewhere on these forums.
    Check out Movie Diary.
    Most carriers will not allow you to have a smartphone without having a data plan attached. with verizon you must call in to switch your phone if you purchaced it other than retail, and thay would in turn make you add a data plan, pretty sure the same for sprint, as for at&t i'm not so sure since they use a sim.
  5.    #5  
    Ah, thank you. What about the creation of the palm profile and the synchronisation of it? I heard someone saying that this is only possible over 3G!?
    you will be able sync over wifi. Not sure about creating the profile. You might have to use a little data to get started. Hopefully someone will post about profile creation.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChLange View Post
    Ah, thank you. What about the creation of the palm profile and the synchronisation of it? I heard someone saying that this is only possible over 3G!?
    Since your very first activation determines app catalog access, I am pretty sure you must have data available from the carrier, ie. 3G, 2G/Edge. And if you are activating that way, profile creation follows. It all takes only a couple of minutes. You can borrow a SIM from a friend or possibly even from a demo phone at an AT&T or T-Mobile store (with permission) for this.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    you can create a profile over wifi. check preware for a patch. i just did it works great.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shmutt1980 View Post
    Most carriers will not allow you to have a smartphone without having a data plan attached. with verizon you must call in to switch your phone if you purchaced it other than retail, and thay would in turn make you add a data plan, pretty sure the same for sprint, as for at&t i'm not so sure since they use a sim.
    Somehow that's a US peculiarity.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    Somehow that's a US peculiarity.
    It's more of a CDMA-thing. For those of us lucky enough to be on GSM, the rules of what you have to do seem to be much looser (as long as your network doesn't restrict access to specific phone models only).

I've been running a Pre+ with no data plan for over 7 months now. From time-to-time, I might purchase a data day-pass for a few dollars, but, otherwise: WiFi data only.

On a similar note, I think Palm should sell a Cellular-free unit that only has WiFi and BlueTooth radios (think iPod Touch competitor) in addition to the Pre2 and great new devices we hope to see soon.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Quote Originally Posted by cmahy View Post
    It's more of a CDMA-thing. For those of us lucky enough to be on GSM, the rules of what you have to do seem to be much looser (as long as your network doesn't restrict access to specific phone models only).

I've been running a Pre+ with no data plan for over 7 months now. From time-to-time, I might purchase a data day-pass for a few dollars, but, otherwise: WiFi data only.
    It's also an AT&T thing. I've heard of people swapping SIM cards from dumb phones into iPhones or Pres and having a data plan automatically tacked onto their plan.

Also, OP: If you learn how to do the Meta-Doctor, you can bypass the entire activation process and jump right into your phone. This way you'll be able to use the benefits of webOS without having to worry about the Profile creation etc. However, you won't be able to use the App Catalog etc. The good thing about doing this is that you'll be able to run the "First Use" app whenever you wish. You can then make a profile and do all that good stuff over WiFi and then you'll have access to the catalog again.
    I'm a new user (4days now) & I've found on my at&t pre+ that my wifi indicator doesn't quite keep up with the status of my wifi connections. I sometimes have dropped wifi connection and not known it while using pandora. It jumps my data usage up and i'm worried i'll go over my limit.
    It causes me to constantly check my status by tapping the wifi indicator to see if I'm associated with my home wifi.
    Is there an app or other way to have a message, alert or something when i've lost wifi connection without having to constantly check manually?

(sry if I'm hijackin or if this has been answered already)
    @happydaddy

in the dialer app open the settings and turn data off. that way it will be wifi or nothing. there are several patches in preware that will make that more convenient by putting that in the system menu just like airplane mode.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I was able to purchase a Pre w/o a data plan on 11/22/2010... as I have had a long running "data plan exclusion" on my previous Centro and Treo... on both Verizon and AT&T...

you have to strong arm the salesfolk online... don't bother going to any store or radio shack... you have to order the phone online and then strong arm your way up thru two layers of management...

but it is possible... good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    @happydaddy

in the dialer app open the settings and turn data off. that way it will be wifi or nothing. there are several patches in preware that will make that more convenient by putting that in the system menu just like airplane mode.
    I won't receive calls or texts this way will I?
    Just a notification sound when I disconnect from wifi would be sufficient.
    Then I could still use all the features of the phone, too.

I guess my other option is to setup repeater mode with extra AP I have to extend my wifi coverage around the house.
    Last edited by Happy Daddy; 12/08/2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: adding info
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    i still receive calls and texts... and i can browse the web via my home wifi, or any publically available wifi... i'm just not allowing my phone to access the more expensive (for me) data network...
    Palm IV > Palm Treo 600 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre Plus > Nokia Lumia 920
    I turned off my data in the dialer menu and also hooked up a wireless AP in repeater mode to extend wifi coverage throughout the house.
    Works great!
    Some things don't work on wifi only but I can now easily manage my data usage.
    Thanks for the help.