Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Hey guys,

I'm an Australian, getting a Palm Pre for Christmas (most likely from smoothmobiles) and wanted to ask a question.

There's a $60 difference between the original Pre and the Pre Plus - which one should I get? Is there a major argument for getting one over the other (especially in regards to build quality and speed)?

16GB memory isn't an issue for me at all, I already have a 32GB Touch...

Thanks in advance!
    Having both a Pre Plus and a Pre 2 on NextG... I'd suggest holding off (or forking out) and getting the Pre 2.

Two simple reasons: The Pre 2 feels very snappy compared to the Plus, and there seems to be a marked improvement in battery life for me. The only real drawback is that homebrew isn't really up to speed on WebOS 2.0 yet (which isn't really surprising given only the Pre 2 has it at the moment).

Failing that? Pre Plus, even if just for the extra RAM.
    agree with hendikins if you cant wait for the pre2 go with the plus. The extra ram and better feel to the keyboard of the plus makes it worth the extra 60 over the pre
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies
    I really don't have enough money to spare for the Pre 2... the Pre/Plus is an absolute bargain and I think I prefer the curved casing to the flat glass (from the images I've seen)

Just found out the Pre Plus only has NextG, while the original works on the Optus 3G network (which I use) - I'm guessing 3G is pretty important?
    You might want to question them (smoothmobiles) about where they are sourcing their product, and where it is activated, just to ensure you have access to the app catalog. Also, they seem to call their phone Palm Pre (NextG) implying that they work on the Telstra NextG network, but then in their list of supported carriers, they state Telstra 2G only. The assumption would be they are phones out of Europe, which would mean they will work fine on Optus, but if they are NextG ie: USA originated, they will work 3G only on Telstra
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I bit the bullet and sprung for the original Pre. Decided I wanted 3G and extra accessories over extra RAM and higher capacity (I can deal with this, its not a huge deal). Thanks for the advice though, appreciate it!

You might want to question them (smoothmobiles) about where they are sourcing their product, and where it is activated, just to ensure you have access to the app catalog. Also, they seem to call their phone Palm Pre (NextG) implying that they work on the Telstra NextG network, but then in their list of supported carriers, they state Telstra 2G only. The assumption would be they are phones out of Europe, which would mean they will work fine on Optus, but if they are NextG ie: USA originated, they will work 3G only on Telstra
    Yeah, pretty sure the Pre Plus was USA-sourced (didn't support 3G 2100mhz - Optus band). Smoothmobiles seemed really dodgy in the end anyway, decided not to buy from them... I managed to grab a pretty sweet deal on Ebay from an Aussie (who claims it has App Catalog access - saw Angry Birds running on the phone).
    Quote Originally Posted by sm07 View Post
    I bit the bullet and sprung for the original Pre. Decided I wanted 3G and extra accessories over extra RAM and higher capacity (I can deal with this, its not a huge deal). Thanks for the advice though, appreciate it!

Yeah, pretty sure the Pre Plus was USA-sourced (didn't support 3G 2100mhz - Optus band). Smoothmobiles seemed really dodgy in the end anyway, decided not to buy from them... I managed to grab a pretty sweet deal on Ebay from an Aussie (who claims it has App Catalog access - saw Angry Birds running on the phone).
    Interesting that they also don't list an Australian address (or any address). Understand that your purchase is a done deal but My Pre Plus has been great. There are some pretty cheap deals going for them on ebay as well at the moment. I recently looked up the guy I bought from. My Pre Plus was cheap when I bought it but now they're even cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by sm07 View Post
    I bit the bullet and sprung for the original Pre. Decided I wanted 3G.....................I managed to grab a pretty sweet deal on Ebay from an Aussie (who claims it has App Catalog access - saw Angry Birds running on the phone).
    LOL i was thinking of listing my Pre, Original Movistar with Spanish app cat access. I have just never figured out a way to get a spanish C/C :-)
    I want to get a Pre2
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3