1.    #1  
    I am getting my Palm Pre in the mail tomorrow, and I will have no idea what to do with it when I get it! I have never owned a smart phone before, and I am very exciting about getting my Pre. Is there some sort of "Pre for Dummies" thread? I am new, so any advice you can give me that will head me in the right direction would be wonderful. Thanks!
    Hi Annabella! Welcome to the P|C forums, webOS, and your new addictions!

Here's exactly what you are looking for:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html

Enjoy your new device! You can find a LOT more tips and info in our Palm Pre Tips, Information, and Resources forums also.

If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask
    review the 'help & how to' articles found right here at precentral.net:

http://www.precentral.net/pre-how-to
    the phone will take you through a short tutorial when you first activate it. You can also find helpful videos on Palm.com

And we are all hanging out here to answer your questions!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/06/2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I love this board. <3
    Learn the basics then load a few apps and go from there!

Your going to love it! Welcome!

No need for "Pre for Dummies" - we are all smart here
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Learn the basics then load a few apps and go from there!

Your going to love it! Welcome!

No need for "Pre for Dummies" - we are all smart here
    No need for "Pre for Dummies" - it's a simple, yet extremely powerful device! Gotta love WebOS!!
    Just yesterday I handed my Pre to my wife to look something up while I was driving. She had a hard time because she didn't understand gestures - especially the backswipe. My suggestion is look up gestures and practice. The phone's tutorial will help and there are tips posted on here. It isn't hard and won't take long, but until swiping becomes natural to you it can be a little frustrating.
  9.    #9  
    Thank you so much! This seems like an awesome board and I appreciate the links/suggestions/advice. So excited that my Pre comes today!!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rixpre2010 View Post
    Just yesterday I handed my Pre to my wife to look something up while I was driving. She had a hard time because she didn't understand gestures - especially the backswipe. My suggestion is look up gestures and practice. The phone's tutorial will help and there are tips posted on here. It isn't hard and won't take long, but until swiping becomes natural to you it can be a little frustrating.
    Actually, the exact same thing happened to me with my husband's Samsung Moment. He was driving and wanted me to play some music, I couldn't figure out how, and we got into a HUGE fight. Hopefully I can figure out my new Pre better than that!
    A new phone is definitely not worth marital strife, but I don't think you'll have a problem with the pre - unless your husband becomes jealous.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rixpre2010 View Post
    ...unless your husband becomes jealous.
    He totally already is!
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Actually, the exact same thing happened to me with my husband's Samsung Moment. He was driving and wanted me to play some music, I couldn't figure out how, and we got into a HUGE fight. Hopefully I can figure out my new Pre better than that!
    the thing that will really upset him is that you will play with your phone constantly and won't make eye contact with him for days, because you are zoned in on your phone.

PS, be sure us don't put your contacts and calendar into the palm profile. Use yahoo/gmail/hotmail etc...
    When I first got my Pre, I spent many hours on here learn the do and don't, this place doesn't let you down
    Also, use the Help application on the Pre. Lots of good information there.
    Get "webos quickinstall" on your pc, then download "preware" to phone and let the goodtimes roll!!!!
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You could use...

Don't turn your head too hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I am getting my Palm Pre in the mail tomorrow, and I will have no idea what to do with it when I get it! I have never owned a smart phone before, and I am very exciting about getting my Pre. Is there some sort of "Pre for Dummies" thread? I am new, so any advice you can give me that will head me in the right direction would be wonderful. Thanks!
    Be prepared, your life is about to change. In a good way of course. Just stay tuned to PreCentral and you will be fine. Enjoy your new phone.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation