Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1. Shineon's Avatar
    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have had my Sprint Pre since 9-09 and have had 4 replacements and on this last replacement, the case has cracked (by the USB port) and I haven't dropped it and now the power button barely works. I have to press it really hard to get it to turn on or off. I am extremely frustrated with it and am about ready to jump ship.
    The thing is, I LOVE WebOS!. That's why i have kept it as long as I have and was trying to patiently wait for a new version to come out (not the Pre2) so I could stay with WebOS. I heard something about a new version coming in Q1 or something and then heard a ton of others rumors related to a release date. At this point, I barely want to wait for Q1 much-less any longer than that.
    I am totally leaning towards jumping ship as of now and will probably go with the Samsung Epic or something. I was even looking at the Iphone for awhile there (lol)! I need something more stable and bigger than the Pre's form factor and OS. The patches and Homebrew are absolutely awesome and made me feel like I had a new phone once I entered into the realm of Homebrew. But I feel like i really shouldn't have to go through all that jazz to have the functioning phone I want. Even if I waited for 2.0, I'd still have crappy hardware to deal with.
    Any help would be much appreciated.....
  2. #2  
    Not sure what you are asking for here.... what type of help are you requesting? If you don't want to wait for a new phone, grab something else and come back (if you want) when some new webOS hardware comes out. It's ok to try other stuff and no one is going to hunt you down if you switch (but I can't guarantee it ) Like anything, it's all up to each person and their personal preferences. Phones are on limited contracts, so if you switch and try something else, you can always switch to another device in the future - be it webOS, or another OS. The choice is yours and should be one that makes you happy. Good luck!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/06/2010 at 11:41 AM.
  3. #3  
    I would say go away and come back tomorrow.

    If you are worrying about having outdated hardware and you do not want to wait for the next gen Palm phone, then get the Epic. You will be welcomed back if/when a new device comes to Sprint.

    Heck, we let Newman in here, so what does that tell you?
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  4. #4  
    ROFL... that's different... I have to stay or you said you would take those pictures to the press.

    OP... believe me, if my phone died today I'd have no issue trying out something else just to experiment and get to know what else is out there. If anything, it would give me a deeper appreciation for webOS.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Wait until CES*

    * The term "wait until CES" is not meant to imply that any particular device will be: 1) announced or 2) to your liking or 3) made available shortly after CES or 4) available on the carrier of your choice. It is simply something that is said around here to keep people from jumping ship.
    Jump ship... the water is nice... just watch out for sharks.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  6. Olidie's Avatar
    Posts
    385 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #6  
    I say jump ship. You can always come back.
  7. Shineon's Avatar
    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Not sure what you are asking for here.... what type of help are you requesting? If you don't want to wait for a new phone, grab something else and come back (if you want) when some new webOS hardware comes out. It's ok to try other stuff and no one is going to hunt you down if you switch (but I can't guarantee it ) Like anything, it's all up to each person and their personal preferences. Phones are on limited contracts, so if you switch and try something else, you can always switch to another device in the future - be it webOS, or another OS. The choice is yours and should be one that makes you happy. Good luck!

    I'm basically asking if I should still try to hold out for a new WebOS phone. The thing is, If I get a new phone (through Sprint) it would be a new contract and then (knowing my luck) the new WebOS phone would come out one month into my new contract (Wait a minute, would it be a new contract or would I just be using the upgrade? Hmmmmmm). I'm not saying I couldn't/wouldn't deal with that, but I'd rather have the new WobOS phone. I love WebOS and want to show my loyalty.
  8. #8  
    IDK, the "wait for CES" thing is very sound advice. Even if palm fails to impres, some new devices will be announced from some compnay that should be better then what's out now.
  9. Shineon's Avatar
    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I would say go away and come back tomorrow.

    If you are worrying about having outdated hardware and you do not want to wait for the next gen Palm phone, then get the Epic. You will be welcomed back if/when a new device comes to Sprint.

    Heck, we let Newman in here, so what does that tell you?
    lol.......Thanks pogeypre. That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Especially the part about Newman!
  10. #10  
    Well sounds like you have your issues, but ask yourself if you NEED a new phone, or WANT a new phone. If your phone is that screwed up that it is hard to use....sounds like you should go get a new phone. If you like the OS so much that you can deal with your issues, then wait. If you like the customization abiliity, From what I've read, sounds like Android goes along those lines. Convince yourself you're willing to deal with a phone with a broken power button and a cracked USB, in exchange for the OS, or go get yoursef a new phone. Worst case scenario, you get a new phone for a couple of years,while the rest of us get a new webOS phone, and if they are that good, they'll still be around when it's time for you to get a new one again.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shineon View Post
    I'm basically asking if I should still try to hold out for a new WebOS phone. The thing is, If I get a new phone (through Sprint) it would be a new contract and then (knowing my luck) the new WebOS phone would come out one month into my new contract (Wait a minute, would it be a new contract or would I just be using the upgrade? Hmmmmmm). I'm not saying I couldn't/wouldn't deal with that, but I'd rather have the new WobOS phone. I love WebOS and want to show my loyalty.
    If you can hold out until January 6 (CES), we might get info on new devices. At least we should be able to find out a timeframe for devices (crossing fingers). You could always pick up a Pre in the Marketplace forums here, or eBay, to get you by if you don't want to switch. Like Pogey said, you can always switch back if you do try something else out, and you are always welcome to keep posting here.
  12. Shineon's Avatar
    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
       #12  
    So no one has any new news on a new WebOS device besides the Pre2?
  13. #13  
    Nothing yet. Rumors are some kind of announcements (or hints) coming out at CES. There are just rumors and that's it though. If you want to read up on all the other rumors being spread, just check out the "Future Palm Devices" thread.
  14. Shineon's Avatar
    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
       #14  
    Thanks guys. I have pretty much made up my mind at this point. I'm going to try and wait until January. Lets hop i don't throw this thing through the window or something
  15. #15  
    Take it easy UntidyGuy.... No one is jumping on any bandwagon. Just answering a newbie's questions and giving him an idea of the rumors that are out there right now.
  16. #16  
    I jumped on an evo and I am loving it. When webos is up and running on a device like this I will jump right back. One of my daughters is all ready hawking me for my evo. So it will not go to waste.lol

    Sent using taptalk.
  17. Shineon's Avatar
    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
       #17  
    By the way Newman, loved B Bonzai!
  18. Shineon's Avatar
    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
       #18  
    I'm kind of trying to ignore untidy a little. Sounds a bit bitter or something......
    It's funny you guys think I'm a newbie. I think I kind of lost it when this phone started really ****ing me off .......lol
    I may not have that many posts, but have been coming here everyday since 8-09.......
  19. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #19  
    Also, if you think that 2.0 is going to fix all your software complaints without homebrew, I think you are living in a fantasy world.

    Here is what I do: Does the phone you have meet all of your needs? In what way does it not? What phone would meet those needs? Buy that phone and don't worry about it.

    The Pre meets all my phone needs and though I am desiring a new phone/OS update, it is not essential to my being and worth spending serious money over.
    Dan
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shineon View Post
    ...I am totally leaning towards jumping ship as of now and will probably go with the Samsung Epic or something. I was even looking at the Iphone for awhile there (lol)! I need something more stable and bigger than the Pre's form factor and OS. The patches and Homebrew are absolutely awesome and made me feel like I had a new phone once I entered into the realm of Homebrew. But I feel like i really shouldn't have to go through all that jazz to have the functioning phone I want. Even if I waited for 2.0, I'd still have crappy hardware to deal with.
    Any help would be much appreciated.....
    If you want someone to convince you, it sounds like you're already convinced. Here's something to consider either way though.

    If you update now and a new phone is released early next year, you will have to wait on that.

    On the other hand, if you wait, and an new phone isn't released early next year, you will have waited in vain.

    Personally, I'll just keep swapping out hardware (if I need to) until what I want even more becomes available - whether it's from Palm, or someone else.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions