Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Wait until CES*

* The term "wait until CES" is not meant to imply that any particular device will be: 1) announced or 2) to your liking or 3) made available shortly after CES or 4) available on the carrier of your choice. It is simply something that is said around here, before CES, to keep people from jumping ship. Any similarity to expressions like "wait until the PDK is released" or "wait until the merger is completed" or "wait until webOS 2.0" is merely coincidental.
    Actually, it appears that such statements are made more by those wanting to complain about lack of software - as in disgruntled users saying "'wait until CES' is often said around here". I don't see many actual Palm users saying anything is going to be available at CES.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Not sure what you are asking for here.... what type of help are you requesting? If you don't want to wait for a new phone, grab something else and come back (if you want) when some new webOS hardware comes out. It's ok to try other stuff and no one is going to hunt you down if you switch (but I can't guarantee it ) Like anything, it's all up to each person and their personal preferences. Phones are on limited contracts, so if you switch and try something else, you can always switch to another device in the future - be it webOS, or another OS. The choice is yours and should be one that makes you happy. Good luck!
    What he said...Grab something new for now and comeback when Webos is well established.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Quote Originally Posted by Shineon View Post
    I'm basically asking if I should still try to hold out for a new WebOS phone. The thing is, If I get a new phone (through Sprint) it would be a new contract and then (knowing my luck) the new WebOS phone would come out one month into my new contract (Wait a minute, would it be a new contract or would I just be using the upgrade? Hmmmmmm). I'm not saying I couldn't/wouldn't deal with that, but I'd rather have the new WobOS phone. I love WebOS and want to show my loyalty.
    You've asked a question that a lot of Sprint users don't really understand (I know I didn't until I got my Pre).

The answer to the question "Would it be a new contract or would I just be using the upgrade" is that it would be a new contract, and you would be using your upgrade.

When you use the upgrade discounts, you are signing a new two year contract. They will let you upgrade after one year, but when you use that upgrade, you are signing a new two year contract with Sprint.

So, here's your nightmare scenario (theoretically speaking of course, I don't know if any of this will actually play out this way).

You use your upgrade for an Evo with Sprint. 2 months later, the Pre 2 comes to Verizion. 9 months after that, 12 new WebOS devices are released, 4 of which are phones, and none of them are available on Sprint. You are now eligible for an upgrade, but if you want one of those devices, you have to change carriers.

You would have to pay an ETF, or wait another year, if you wanted said device. If you upgraded again, you'd have to wait another two years.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    People have short memories around here. Does anyone remember the 6 month post-CES wait for the Pre?

Perhaps HP can do it better. However, the HP Slate was shown by Steve Balmer at CES in January and, to my knowledge, is still not being shipped to the end user yet. Production delays are practically the norm.

Jumping on to the "wait for CES" bandwagon is volunteering yourself for a lot of smartphone angst over the next 6 months.
    Depends on what announcement they make (if they make any). If they say "the new devices will be out sometime in the next 6 months), then yeah, folks are probably in for a six month (or slightly less) wait.

However, if they say "The new devices will be avialable in the next 2 months", then one could look back and say "Hey, they kept their word last time they made such an announcement".
    If you cannot wait until CES and need something now then jump ship. Otherwise, buy a refurb and hold on. HP webOS is spectacular, and if you think you can hold out a little longer, it should be worth it.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Thanks guys. I have pretty much made up my mind at this point. I'm going to try and wait until January. Lets hop i don't throw this thing through the window or something
    Or if you feel like it, try the Pre Plus swap... I'm sure the radio board in your phone works fine. It's fun taking it apart, and bad ESN Verizon Pre Pluses can be had for cheap.

I'm very happy with my Bell Pre Pluses, in fact one of them made me some money too.

Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Thanks so much guys. I appreciate all of the tips given to me on this thread.
    hparsons is correct about the contract thing, although you can sign up for a one year contract using the $75 upgrade as well (not really sure why someone would want to do that though).
    I learned a lot about wants and needs when I got married (lol). Ultimately, all I REALLY need is a phone for emergencies, but is that what i really want? Hellz no! I want something I can do everything with and then brag to my friends about it.
    I really try to get something that i can have for awhile and not need to upgrade too soon due to the way electronics and what-not are changing so quickly. As far as cellphones go though, I've kind of given up on that for now. Once i got my first touch screen phone with data, it was over (the Instinct). I don't really NEED a new phone, but this one seems to frustrate me every time I go to wake it up or put it to sleep. This is really not a big deal in the whole skeem of things, but seems to be effecting more and more everyday.
    I told myself when the new 4G phones came out on Sprint that i would wait for WebOS because i love it so much and wanted to be loyal. But after 4 replacements and some other little things that added up to one big thing, I'm thinking twice about it now. I dont want to have to get a 5th replacement! I've never had to do that with any other phones I've had. I will definitely come back to WebOS when/if the new devices are released, no doubt about it!
    I'll probably end up changing my mind everyday until the new devices come out anyway!

Signed,
    On the Fence
    I have had my Sprint Pre since 9-09 and have had 4 replacements and on this last replacement, the case has cracked (by the USB port) and I haven't dropped it and now the power button barely works. I have to press it really hard to get it to turn on or off. I am extremely frustrated with it and am about ready to jump ship.
    The thing is, I LOVE WebOS!. That's why i have kept it as long as I have and was trying to patiently wait for a new version to come out (not the Pre2) so I could stay with WebOS. I heard something about a new version coming in Q1 or something and then heard a ton of others rumors related to a release date. At this point, I barely want to wait for Q1 much-less any longer than that.
    I am totally leaning towards jumping ship as of now and will probably go with the Samsung Epic or something. I was even looking at the Iphone for awhile there (lol)! I need something more stable and bigger than the Pre's form factor and OS. The patches and Homebrew are absolutely awesome and made me feel like I had a new phone once I entered into the realm of Homebrew. But I feel like i really shouldn't have to go through all that jazz to have the functioning phone I want. Even if I waited for 2.0, I'd still have crappy hardware to deal with.
    Any help would be much appreciated.....
    Well, this is what convinced me to grab the Pre Plus: webOS. I played with android and iOS, and no matter how spectacular the hardware was (and it WAS), the software was still junk, which made it useless to me. Yes, I know there are shinier and probably more reliable phones out there, but I love my Pre for webOS, and now that I know the 2.0 is coming for all devices, I am very content. However, i know that hardware is more important for some users, so to each his own. Hope this helps.
    The patches ... are absolutely awesome ... But I feel like i really shouldn't have to go through all that .
    Considering Dieter said in the podcast "i miss my patches" i'd bet you'll still have to do that. cause it doesn't seem like most of that stuff are options in 2.0.

i say if you want a Pre 2.0 for full price on an unlocked contract. stay

If you don't. Leave. Cause basically that's the only think guaranteed to come out now. everything else is speculation.

If you want to wait for verizon iphones, or sprint webos devices or CES then just do it. If you don't have the patience. buy whatever floats your boat.
    I have had my Sprint Pre since 9-09 and have had 4 replacements and on this last replacement, the case has cracked (by the USB port) and I haven't dropped it and now the power button barely works. I have to press it really hard to get it to turn on or off. I am extremely frustrated with it and am about ready to jump ship.
    The thing is, I LOVE WebOS!. That's why i have kept it as long as I have and was trying to patiently wait for a new version to come out (not the Pre2) so I could stay with WebOS. I heard something about a new version coming in Q1 or something and then heard a ton of others rumors related to a release date. At this point, I barely want to wait for Q1 much-less any longer than that.
    I am totally leaning towards jumping ship as of now and will probably go with the Samsung Epic or something. I was even looking at the Iphone for awhile there (lol)! I need something more stable and bigger than the Pre's form factor and OS. The patches and Homebrew are absolutely awesome and made me feel like I had a new phone once I entered into the realm of Homebrew. But I feel like i really shouldn't have to go through all that jazz to have the functioning phone I want. Even if I waited for 2.0, I'd still have crappy hardware to deal with.
    Any help would be much appreciated.....
    I say if you are having that many issues with the phones it is time to move on and try something else. I know that if I keep having issues that I won't be hanging around for to long!!
    Well take it from me. I have had a launch day pre on sprint...day 1, first in line at corporate store. I have had 7 replacements, and my wife has had 5. Just last week (Wed. 12-1) I finally jumped ship to the Epic. It truely is an Epic phone, the screen is gorgeous, it really has nice camera features, and its fairly thin for a slider keyboard. I went to work on setting it up and getting it suited to fit me. Nice live snow fall/trees swaying/lights on the trees wallpaper. More apps than I know what to do with, litterally, and did I mention that screen . Here I am today, Dec. 6th 5days later with my Pre in hand. I returned the Epic The hardware is gorgeous! But when it comes to using the phone, calendar, messaging, synergy in general...Webos is the best. Sure its missing some features that are standard, the hardware is not up to today, but webos is elegant and the way everything works together is amazing and will only get better (2.0). I decided to return the Epic and see what happens at CES...if nothing then I will make a decision then. Just thought I would share my expierence.

Ken
    if you wanna jump, jump
    Jump!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Basically, I am waiting for Sprint to come out with something other than the huge EVO and the EPIC which has such a huge screen that typing on the physical keyboard would be uncomfortable. There will be a device that comes out that is a little bit smaller than those two devices, and a little bigger than the Pre's screen. The overall size of the Pre is perfect and I like the physical keyboard. This is most important to me. All of the other important features will most likely come with any new smartphone: Voice command, HDMI out, 1 GHz or faster, 16GB internal with 32 GB Micro SD expandable, 5 MP camera or greater with 1.3 MP front camera for video conferencing and a super Amoled screen (hopefully). I am not expecting HP/Palm to come out with anything. As long as it's a reputable manufacturer like HTC or Samsung, I will switch. I am done with Palm unless they miraculously come out with a device for Sprint out of nowhere. I will modify the Touchstone back cover to work with any device I get as long as the battery is removable on said device.
    I will not upgrade now and then see my dream phone come up a few months later! I can be satisfied with the Pre until then.
    By the way, why is Palm spending all of this time hyping up and improving WebOS to 2.0 and not putting that time/energy towards a new device? There is something seriously wrong with that company. I've never seen such an internal collapse of something that was so anticipated and ground breaking. I really can't understand how the Precentral users aren't at the end of their Palm Pre praising rope. Am I missing something. How do they still have hope? What are they clinging to?
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    I might wait until the end of the month and get the Epic. With the 30 day trial period i can decide if i like it or not and also get any announcements (if any) from CES.
    I might wait until the end of the month and get the Epic. With the 30 day trial period i can decide if i like it or not and also get any announcements (if any) from CES.
    Definitely a good idea.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerman1 View Post
    Well take it from me. .... Here I am today, Dec. 6th 5days later with my Pre in hand. I returned the Epic The hardware is gorgeous! But when it comes to using the phone, calendar, messaging, synergy in general...Webos is the best. Sure its missing some features that are standard, the hardware is not up to today, but webos is elegant and the way everything works together is amazing and will only get better (2.0)....
    Ken
    I had a very similar experience with EVO and Epic. The hardware may be nice (although the keyboard was too big) but the OS is where the experience lies. I spent close to $50 in just a couple of weeks on apps and utilities, rooted the phone and tweaked it as best I could, but it still didn't measure up to WebOS.

Waiting till CES is fine, but the Pre 2 is really nice and super fast, of course it isn't available on Sprint (my primary carrier) but I am using one on T-Mobile. AT&T would be the best to use it on since you can get 3G.

Based on my experience with the Pre 2 so far, I can't wait to see what's next.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12