Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Is over clocking one word or two words? I don't know.
    one word One downside is definitely the reduced battery-life...
    overclock your phone and buy an extra car charger with touchstone from verizon for like 14 dollars if you find the bundle deals
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    OCing can potentially shorten the life of your CPU, but since we all replace our phones fairly regularly that's no reason not to do it. I have been OCing since the very early days and can't imagine going back.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Mine's overclocked screenstate(1000/500)(I/O: anticipatory, TCP: veno) with data off most of the time, I get at least 48 hours of battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Wow I'm shocked @ how WRONG 90% of you ppl are and it's a shame cus this is how we lose Palm owners to misfed info.. Overclocking @ 1Ghz doesn't kill ur battery life, it actually improves it being that everything is done faster it's not using up the juice like before. And there other things that you can do (not a patch) that will bring down ur bttery consumption as well.. I have yet to see any downside to overclocking @ 1Ghz.. Never did I a TMC error ever again.. They only thing and I wouldn't call it a downside is that I've noticed that when my battery reaches either 30% or 20% it will jump down straight to 0% with counting down the rest of the #'s.. But that just a visual problem b/c it's not really @ 0% I would continue using the phone as usual and it will last another 30 mins or more @ 0% so that's no biggie
    Palm certified your phone to run for a certain length of time at a certain power spec. The CPU they put in it was certified to run at its set mhz and not higher. If you overclock your phone, and your CPU dies, you won't be able to get a warranty replacement without omitting fraud.

If your phone is out of warranty, however... well, then go for it. But test it first before you start using it regularly.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    most people (including me) find it improves battery life.

theoretically it can shorten the average life expectancy because faster = hotter. But, the cpu and phone will likely last far beyond your contract. Especially here where e eryone seems to "need" a new phone 15 minutes after they are eligible for an upgrade.(hey, squirrel!)

so overclocking is safe and amazing, and easy to do.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 12/05/2010 at 03:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    OCing can potentially shorten the life of your CPU, but since we all replace our phones fairly regularly that's no reason not to do it. I have been OCing since the very early days and can't imagine going back.
    Very very true. Overclocking almost always results in reduced CPU life span. It's nearly impossible to say how much it will reduce the life of the CPU, but it will.

On the other hand, that hasn't even caused me to hesitate about running my Pre at 1ghz. For all of the reasons Blaize gave, there's very little chance that you or I will have the Pre we have now long enough for the CPU to die.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    ps, it would only impact the warranty if the overclocking cause the problem. So a bad keyboard would have nothing to do with overclocking.

and we haven't had anyone here report bricking their phone being overclocked.
    Depends on the kernel... F105 killed my battery.. When idle not on charger.. Full signal bars.. Overnight = dead battery..

ber on the other hand @ 800 mhz is perfect
    I OC'ed mine the second day I had it and can't stand when it runs at stock speed. Taught my son how to do it the third day he had his phone.

It's safe and an incredible improvement.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Overclocking makes th Pre minus tolerable. Is it same to overclock the Pixie yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezer29 View Post
    Wow I'm shocked @ how WRONG 90% of you ppl are and it's a shame cus this is how we lose Palm owners to misfed info.. Overclocking @ 1Ghz doesn't kill ur battery life, it actually improves it being that everything is done faster it's not using up the juice like before. And there other things that you can do (not a patch) that will bring down ur bttery consumption as well.. I have yet to see any downside to overclocking @ 1Ghz.. Never did I a TMC error ever again.. They only thing and I wouldn't call it a downside is that I've noticed that when my battery reaches either 30% or 20% it will jump down straight to 0% with counting down the rest of the #'s.. But that just a visual problem b/c it's not really @ 0% I would continue using the phone as usual and it will last another 30 mins or more @ 0% so that's no biggie
    Thank you for clearing this up! I noticed the battery being greatly improved! Also, about your battery jumping from 20-0%; that is the battery life dying. I bought a new battery after using Dr. Battery on my original battery and noticed that the health of the battery was at 65% meaning that I only get that much battery power. So when it starts at 100% reaches 35%, somewhere around there my battery life would drop to 0%. This no longer happens with the new battery I bought. Internalz also will give you the Battery health (getfull40 or getage, I forget which one).

Get a new battery. I bought mine for $8. I forget where. I believe it was Amazon. Do a search on this site and you will find the best place to buy one.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
    one word One downside is definitely the reduced battery-life...
    I have heard from many that overclocking actually improves battery consumption!!!!
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jalb View Post
    Is over clocking one word or two words? I don't know.
    Just two letters "OC"
    Overclocking the Pre just simply makes a better experience no matter how to look at it. The only time I saw drain was when I started going past the 1ghz barrier. When in doubt, use the screenstate option.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Please back to the topic:
    one or two words?

Edit: Wikipedia sais "one word": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overclocking
    OC = yes.

That is all
    Just do it. This phone is a complete piece of crap without it.