Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. rs1
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I think this might belong in the off-topic forum but I need 100 posts before I can start a new thread there...

Anyway, I bought a Pre Plus on eBay that was advertised as 'looking brand new', 'barely used', etc. Here's the listing: Palm Pre Plus Mobile 16gb Plus Touchstone and Backplate on eBay (end time 16-Nov-10 18:17:50 GMT)

When it arrived, the Pre had scratches all over the screen and some dings. It kind of looks as if it was rubbed in sand or dropped on asphalt and rubbed around.

I contacted the seller and requested a refund but he insisted that the item was listed as 'used' - which is an outright lie if you look at the eBay category - and refused a refund. So I opened a Payal dispute and he finally offered a partial refund. I bought it for 160 and he's offering 30. Thing is, I don't even want the Pre in that condition and I'd probably resell it on eBay (with an honest description this time), but I doubt it'd fetch more than 80.

So, should I persist in trying to get a reasonable refund, or should I just accept his offer? This is the first time I've done this and I'm a little apprehensive - after all, he knows where I live!
    I would continue to dispute it. I'm not sure if the dispute goes to ebay, or paypal; but either way, if you have the message/email saved from the seller where he claims it was listed as used, & the listing he made as new, that should resolve the issue.

I know ebay has a buyer protection program, I'm not sure if it applied to this purchase, but if it did, then you should be able to get a full refund.

I would only settle for a partial refund, if there was absolutely no way to get a full refund.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    If it's paid using PayPal (which is the case), PayPal takes care of everything. Once you escalate your case, seller is required to react withing 10 days I believe. In the meantime PalPal will investigate. It's always a good idea to contact PayPal in the meantime, and provide more info. It will be added to your case, and make it stronger. Not that in this case you will have any problem. I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago (Pre Plus as well ) and I got the total amount back.
  4. rs1
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Thanks for the advice! I'm still hoping to get the case resolved without having to escalate it but it doesn't look likely.

Sucks, though. The Pre was supposed to be a replacement for my brother's aging Droid. Now, the question is, do I give him my own Pre Plus and get a Pre 2 for myself, or wait for CES?
    escalate it now , dont wait !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Yes, do NOT settle for the sellers 'partial' refund! He straight out lied in his listing, and there is no reason why you should be the victim of that.

Esculate to Paypal, as you can tell already he is not willing to cooperate with you, and they will review the listing, see the description as having been "looking brand new", they may request a picture from you to examine the phone themselves, but otherwise you WILL get the decision in your favor and receive a full refund. Its not a difficult process at all, just takes a couple days to finalize. Oh ya dont forget to leave negative feedback as well to warn other buyers
    Mobile HotSpot At&t
    Also comparing the description of the phone you received and the picture the seller listed on his auction, it looks like he may have used a fake stock photo of some other Palm Pre as the one he pictured looks new. So ya more reason to esculate and get your money back
    Mobile HotSpot At&t
  8. rs1
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Res215dg View Post
    Also comparing the description of the phone you received and the picture the seller listed on his auction, it looks like he may have used a fake stock photo of some other Palm Pre as the one he pictured looks new. So ya more reason to esculate and get your money back
    Geez, I never thought of that! Thanks! I was wondering how it could've looked so different from the eBay picture and I was getting all doubtful, like, could it have been damaged in transit.

Then after I read your comment I did a Google Image search... and look what turned up on the first page: Palm Pre Plus €“ Verizon Wireless (Review) | Skatter Tech
    keep that link lol and show whomever you talk to for sure !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Not legal council here, but what this person did seems like it could be fraud, actionable in a court of law, so at the very lease, escalate with Ebay and make sure this is marked against him on his account. They did it to you, they will do it to someone else given the chance. Someone needs to speak up to Ebay, might as well be you.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Escalate your PayPal case.
    They will let you return your item, and you'll get ALL your money back.
    You shouldn't accept this.

The minute you escalate your case, the total amount will be reserved on the seller's account.
    That is, if all goes well, and there's not some underlying scheme, but let's not assume that for now.
    Agree you will be able to get all of your money back from paypal whether the buyer wants to issue a refund or not since it clearly isnt in the condition stated in the title
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    If it's paid using PayPal (which is the case), PayPal takes care of everything. Once you escalate your case, seller is required to react withing 10 days I believe. In the meantime PalPal will investigate. It's always a good idea to contact PayPal in the meantime, and provide more info. It will be added to your case, and make it stronger. Not that in this case you will have any problem. I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago (Pre Plus as well ) and I got the total amount back.
    Also i would take some pics of the phone and also save the link of the listing so you can send them to paypal and show that they are clearly two different phones to get your money back asap
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    esculate it amd youll get ur $ navk and i suggest u never buy a CDMA phone off of Ebay again to avoid the hassle.. Maybe Criagslist cus you can meet up with the person 1st but never Ebay.. Good luck
  14. rs1
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Hah. Thanks for the replies guys! The seller was incommunicado for days and wouldn't even send me the tracking number. And now that Paypal has gotten involved he's sending replies almost instantly.

Now he's trying to convince me that his Pre Plus is actually worth more than the other Pre Pluses on eBay because it comes with an *optional* touchstone back that costs extra...
    This one seems straight forward to me.

1. Is the description of the item accurate. Try to be objective. Are you just being unreasonable in your inspection, or is it really in worse condition than described?

2. If it's fair and you're just being picky, tell paypal and the seller and move on.

3. If it's not fair, fight tooth and nail. I would never accept a partial refund because of a dishonest listing. Just because the guy listed it as used, doesn't mean that gives him the right to lie in his description. I'm not too worried about the stock photo. Ebay will put those in for you if you check the right box. The description is what matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
  16. rs1
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Well... I did worry that I was being unduly nitpicky. Anyway, here's a picture. It was difficult trying to get it lit properly and from certain angles it doesn't look so bad, but in sunlight or when the screen is on it's much more noticeable, because there're so many fine scratches the screen goes all shimmery.
    Exactly the state I once received a Pre Plus in.
    Got all my money back. You'll have to pay for the shipping fee yourself though. The ebay shipping fee will be refunded as well.
    Had the same thing happen to me last week. I settled for a partial refund of $40. Sold it to me for $110. I've seen other Palm Pres in worse condition selling for around $80. I don't know if he was feeding me BS or not, but he said his son packaged it up and so he supposedly never looked at it. WHY would you list it as near BRAND NEW condition if you HADN'T EVEN SEEN IT?

It's all good now. That Pre was going to replace my aging one, but alas, I got me an Epic 4g this weekend. I will keep my original Pre and sell the other with a more accurate description. All is not lost.

I will definitely be keeping tabs on Pre news, and the forums! Even though it's old, I still love my Pre!
    your not being unreasonable at all !! that phone looks horrible !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    I have to agree with everyone else. If I was mislead like that, I'd be getting a full refund.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast