1.    #1  
    Hi, new member and this is my first post!

I've had the screen crack on my Pre as I've seen this is a little too common.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea how I can get access to my contacts? If at all? (Mainly the phone numbers).

Is there any way of accessing it through the USB or any button shortcuts for working around not having a working screen?

Thanks in advance
    welcome.

first question is where the contacts came from and how they got on your phone?

second question is whether you are getting another Pre. If so, the contacts will automatically be restored when you connect to your profile, gmail, or wherever they have been syncing.

post back some details and we can help you figure this out.
    It's not clear from your post why/when you need to get at your contacts. As other folks have replied, your contacts should get reloaded when you get a new Pre.

If you're asking about getting access before that, it's quite a bit more difficult, but not impossible. I believe you can put the Pre in USB mode from the keyboard using Option-Sym-U. Then I think you can use WOSQI or Novacom to pull the SQL database off the Pre and use a viewer to access the contacts portion of the database. Details are on the webOS Internals web site ... but this is a fairly tricky/involved process for someone who's new to webOS.

If you're going to continue to use a Pre, I strongly suggest you use Google (or something similar) for your contacts. Then you won't have this problem.
    it would help if the OP would answer the questions I asked because the answer to his question depends on it. If they were ported to his Palm Profile by the sales rep, they will restore automatically when activating the new phone.

If they came from gmail or another internet email service, they will restore when he connects the new phone to that email account.

if the contacts are in the palm profile, he can't see them anywhere but on his phone. if they are in gmail, they can be accessed from a PC.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies.

A few of my contacts came from my sim card (still have these) whilst most have come from adding numbers to the phone. I use my gmail and Facebook accounts for my contacts and add phone numbers to these contacts using my Pre. It's the manually entered numbers that I'm wanting to get access to, I know that Facebook and Gmail contacts will still be there no matter what.

Ironically it was when I went to back up the numbers that the crack happened and as I can't use the touch screen anymore I can't access them to copy them!!

The main problem is not being able to use the touchscreen at all. As soon as Monday gets here I will be in contact with my service provider and/or Palm to see about a repair or replacement (only had the phone for about a month).

I hope that gives you a better idea, any more advice would be great!
    is your gmail account the default??
  7.    #7  
    I don't believe so. New to the Palm world so I just set up all the accounts I knew I could use it with.

Would the manually added numbers be put back onto the device if I got a new one? Or would I have to get all my numbers again?

Apologies if my answers are vague, I'll try my best to give you as much detail as possible

Thanks in advance.
    They should be in the Palm Profile, even if entered manually. However, it isn't always reliable.

The first time I doctored my phone, it only gave me back 3 of them. Thankfully, I did have the rest in Gmail and from then on, I set it as the default account.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    If you're asking about getting access before that, it's quite a bit more difficult, but not impossible. I believe you can put the Pre in USB mode from the keyboard using Option-Sym-U. Then I think you can use WOSQI or Novacom to pull the SQL database off the Pre and use a viewer to access the contacts portion of the database. Details are on the webOS Internals web site ... but this is a fairly tricky/involved process for someone who's new to webOS.
    This won't work because he has to be able to put the phone into developer mode.

Like others have said, when you get your new phone and log into all of your accounts your contacts "should" completely restore.
    Last edited by NachoB; 12/20/2010 at 08:37 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers