Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    Is it possible to swap comm board on AT&T with EU comm board to support 2100 band (like for Sprint)? If yes, any idea where I can get the EU board?
    Quote Originally Posted by cvendra View Post
    Is it possible to swap comm board on AT&T with EU comm board to support 2100 band (like for Sprint)? If yes, any idea where I can get the EU board?
    Yes
    eBay
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    will I need to doctor the phone or is it much simpler in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by cvendra View Post
    will I need to doctor the phone or is it much simpler in this case.
    Technically you don't need to as Barry has done before but you'll need to Meta-Doctor to swap the tokens, to be safe.

The Doctor has authentication tokens to uniquely identify regions of a device after activation, and download the correct OS updates. If you download an update not for your device OTA you may risk flashing the wrong modem firmware and other weird problems.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    thx. Need to find a EU comm board now.
    Just a thought... Is the unlocked US Pre2 having the same comm board as AT&T Pre Plus?
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzilla View Post
    Just a thought... Is the unlocked US Pre2 having the same comm board as AT&T Pre Plus?
    Yes, except it is unlocked of course.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rod,

I'm holding the UK O2 Pre Plus now. Thinking of buying the US Pre2 (cheaper than UK) and swapped the comm board and radio from the Pre Plus to the Pre2. Would that be feasible? I think I may have to doctor it subsequently to ensure that it receiving the right OTA updates.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yes, except it is unlocked of course.

-- Rod
    Rod,

I'm holding the UK O2 Pre Plus now. Thinking of buying the US Pre2 (cheaper than UK) and swapped the comm board and radio from the Pre Plus to the Pre2. Would that be feasible? I think I may have to doctor it subsequently to ensure that it receiving the right OTA updates.
    Just swap the comms board, no strict need for anything else for a gsm comms board swap.

-- Rod
    Hi Rod,

Is webos doctoring ncessary to complete the process?

Just swap the comms board, no strict need for anything else for a gsm comms board swap.

-- Rod
    Hi Rod,

Is webos doctoring ncessary to complete the process?
    Nope, it should just work. GSM auth is on your sim card and your carrier remains ROW so no tokens need to be moved.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod! Now I'm left with figuring how to obtain the Pre2 in the U.S
    Thanks Rod! Now I'm left with figuring how to obtain the Pre2 in the U.S
    Errr - buy it? From Palm?
    Palm USA | Palm Pre 2 Phone | Features, Details
    :-)
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Errr - buy it? From Palm?
    [url= USA | Palm Pre 2 Phone | Features, Details[/url]
    :-)
    I guess you haven't tried with a non-US credit card or non-US address. The OP is not from the US.

-- Rod
    Nope, it should just work. GSM auth is on your sim card and your carrier remains ROW so no tokens need to be moved.

-- Rod
    This is actually interesting... so the firmware used by the EU board and US boards are actually the same?

Always thought they were different.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    This is actually interesting... so the firmware used by the EU board and US boards are actually the same?

Always thought they were different.
    They used to be different (AT&T firmware was different to ROW firmware).

Now, the same webOS Doctor is used for both P102UNA and P102UEU.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Hi Rod,

If I activate the Pre2 in the U.S and then do a comm board swap with a UK Pre Plus, will it affect my U.S app catalog access on the Pre2? Or will I be seeing a UK catalog instead on the Pre2 as the comm board is swapped from a UK Pre Plus?

-- Rod
    Hi Rod,

If I activate the Pre2 in the U.S and then do a comm board swap with a UK Pre Plus, will it affect my U.S app catalog access on the Pre2? Or will I be seeing a UK catalog instead on the Pre2 as the comm board is swapped from a UK Pre Plus?
    App catalog access is based on the MEID/IMEI on the comms board.

-- Rod
    That means UK app catalog. Activated in the U.S, app catalog access in the U.K. Do I still need to activate the palm profile in UK?

App catalog access is based on the MEID/IMEI on the comms board.

-- Rod
    Last edited by mozzilla; 12/08/2010 at 10:45 PM.
    That means UK app catalog. Activated in the U.S, app catalog access in the U.K. Do I still need to activate the palm profile in UK?
    What I mean is that app catalog access is based on the country of first activation of the MEID/IMEI which is burned into the comms board.

Subsequent activations do not change that, no matter what device the comms board may be swapped into.

-- Rod
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast