Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Is it normal for the touchstone to make a high pitched buzzing sound
    when the Pre is on charging, or is this an issue??

Thanks.
    Issue
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Issue
    Any idea what is causing it?? Phone? or maybe the back cover?
    I tried a different touchstone, so I doubt two could be bad.
    what...
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Rush.. read the OP.. that's not what he's talking about.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    It's a buzzing sound coming from the touchstone charger when the Pre is
    on it. It almost sounds like the buzzing sound that comes from a transformer.
    I did try removing the battery and the repair utility, but it still it happens.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I have Preware on my phone, if Verizon seen that, would that be bad??
    I mean if it had to be replaced?
    Mrwatch921,

Don't listen to anyone who suggests Doctoring your phone. It really sounds like an issue with the transformer in the TS itself. Depending on how long you had the TS, I'd take it back if it is still under the warranty.
    get it replaced. Then get a spare because they are being blown out on amazonm and ever the verizon web site.
    the OP should take it all in to the store and mix/match parts with a phone from the store.start with the store's phone and put the OP's back, battery, wall adapter, usb cable, and touchstone - one at a time. If the store's phone doesn't make the noise with all of the OP's parts on it, then the phone itself is a problem.

if the OP is worried about preware, he can remove uberkernel/govnah and then uninstall preware without doctring the phone.

also be sure to backup everythung on the USB partition because you may be coming home with a different phone.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    All I have is Preware, no overclocking yet. Should I delete Preware before I
    take my phone in??
    just hold down the option key and tap the preware icon and remove it. Problem solved. Note that preware does NOT void your warranty, it's just good to not give them anything to blame or justify not giving you a replacemen.t.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    My Sprint Pre does this when it's fully charged on the Touchstone. I had Sprint replace the Touchstone and it still happens. Maybe it's the Touchstone back? Not sure but get's annoying.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Thank you so much everyone, I am going to Verizon tomorrow. I will
    update this post with what happens.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Try placing a business card in between the Pre and the Touchstone. Does this fix it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwatch921 View Post
    It's a buzzing sound coming from the touchstone charger when the Pre is
    on it. It almost sounds like the buzzing sound that comes from a transformer.
    I did try removing the battery and the repair utility, but it still it happens.
    The touchstone and phone combination are in a sense a small inductive transformer and there are AC magnetic fields involved when the phone is on the touchstone. The sound could be something as simple as a loose screw or other metal component in the touchstone or in the phone. It could also be that the OP is more sensitive to the operational frequency that the touchstone operates at. If the phone is charging and the sound is not bad enough to annoy, I would think that it is perfectly safe to continue to operate it like this.
    OP - If you are worried, see if you can find someone else with a touchstone and see if your phone gets the same results on theirs.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Hmm.. I'll give the business card deal a shot as my Pre is fully charged now. But again, like the OP said, it's an electronic high-pitched sound, not the "bing bong" charge sound.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Looks like the business card trick worked. Going to try again.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    mine does this occasionally too. Just repostiton the phone and it stops. Best of luck to you tho!
    Quote Originally Posted by morepalm.net View Post
    mine does this occasionally too. Just repostiton the phone and it stops. Best of luck to you tho!
    I agree, sometimes a slight re-positioning of the Pre on the TS will fix this. But I found that it never goes away entirely. I only heard it when I had the TS right next to my computer, the fan on the computer was off, and there was no other noise at all. In other words, in a typical office environment, normally I wouldn't be able to hear it. I currently keep a TS on my nightstand about an arm's length from where I sleep and can't hear it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast