1.    #1  
    Assuming that Wi-Fi is on, but not connected to any access point, which draws more power, Wi-Fi or GPS?

I'm tweaking my Mode Switcher setups for better battery life, and I'm curious whether I'd be better off leaving WiFi off and having Home mode triggered by GPS location, or having GPS off with the Wi-Fi constantly looking for my Home access point. Ditto for Work and any other location-based modes I may want to set up.
    Gps
    GPS for sure

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    GPS by a LOOOOOONG shot. Even more when there is something obstructing the sky. Wifi even if on really wont use much juice to mention until it actually has a connection.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    I surprised. GPS is just receiving. Wifi is transmitting too. If you are connected, does that flip things?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    GPS recievers have to REALLY try to pickup the signals form very afar while wifi is short-range.

gps is searching and pinging all the time. Rush is correct in saying that heat = battery drain. Do you have govnah? And battery watch? You can watch the temp rise and fall as you use each radio.
    A power save tip speaking of wifi, using you wifi over carrier data connection will GREATLY help with battery life

9.    #9  
    Thanks for the info, everyone. I haven't noticed the heat from the GPS, as I hardly ever use it. I guess I'll continue to use Wi-Fi connection status to trigger my mode changes.
    Is GPS actively on, or only when invoked by an app?
    it defaults to on. but it saves a ton of battery if you turn it off and let each app ask permission to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it defaults to on. but it saves a ton of battery if you turn it off and let each app ask permission to use it.
    Also, id install one of the patches that adds It to the system menu so u can toggle it from there.

I also have the patch that automatically turns it on when goog maps (and bfg maps as well?) is launched, and turns it off when the app is closed
    Last edited by patricksmangan; 12/04/2010 at 09:35 AM.
    Yeah GPS kills the battery very fast