1.    #1  
    So I purchased a Pre off of ebay to give to my 8 y/o to use as a music player, camera, games device, but not a phone.

I wouldn't mind allowing her to be able to text from the device (basically to me, her mother and her cousins) when on wifi, but there's no solution like TextFree app for the Itouch which allows texts when in wifi.

I'm trying to think if there would be a way to do this via google voice and Voogle, but not certain how to go about. Though metadoctor allowed me to set up the device/create Palm profile that works to download apps, I see the previous owner's number is still listed under MSID.

I'm thinking if we just tell her to use Voogle app for texting, it should work (though it would be great if the gvoice # could replace the default # in the Messaging app)...but part of the Voogle setup is "select" phone number in GVoice and since there's technically no phone number on the device, there's nothing to forward to...but perhaps that doesn't matter once she's using the Voogle app?

Any ideas on ways to try this?
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    most carriers create an email address for each subscriber.

mine is 555.555.1212@vtext.com

you can email them with that syntax an they can reply to it.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Quote..
    you can email them with that syntax an they can reply to it. Quote ends..

To the official poster(OP) if this idea work out for you - please post back and let us know.
    Do you have a problem with the quotes feature? The site does it automatically, of you can just insert the tags yourself.
    Quote..
    you can email them with that syntax an they can reply to it. Quote ends..

To the official poster(OP) if this idea work out for you - please post back and let us know.
    It works. I've done it for years...

you can do it to yourself by using the sprint syntax that verwon posted above.
    Although I don't use it myself, would an Instant Messenger (Y! Google, etc) service work?

Another approach would be to use a Twitter App with a protected Twitter ID that only you know the password to. You can set them to provide alerts for DMs and @s. Almost every App (such as Tweed) allows for multiple IDs in case you want to keep your communications with her separate from another account.

Although the 'd username' prefix might be hard for an 8yo to use every time, there probably isn't much that would be embarrassing if sent to all of her followers.

Not the perfect solution, but an option.
    Use Google Voice number. It's efficient and safe. If you don't find that to be efficient, use one of these email numbers. There's a lot of them out there.

www.google.com/voice
    How To Send Email To Any Cell Phone (for Free)
    Free Text Messaging - Send Free Text Messages

Try those. I really recommend getting a Google Voice number, then setting it up on Voogle.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    It works. I've done it for years...

you can do it to yourself by using the sprint syntax that verwon posted above.
    I can confirm it works as well. I've done this with other carriers too...
    You mean like this - Its just sometimes I'm back and forth from full page to mobile site.
    It's just easier to read if you do it right, because it makes the quote stand out from the text you type, therefore, it's less confusing for noobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I can confirm it works as well. I've done this with other carriers too...
    Yep, they pretty much all have that feature.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    most carriers create an email address for each subscriber.

mine is 555.555.1212@vtext.com

you can email them with that syntax an they can reply to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Unfortunately, this won't work because the phone has no active Sprint number. The whole point of the Metadoctor is to avoid carrier activation (the last used number is still stored in the MSID, however).

Basically I turned a Pre into an iPod-touch like device (benefits are that daughter already knows how to use webOS vs iOS, have multiple touchstones for easy charging and cost was ~$75 vs $200 for new iPod Touch)

The only texting she'd do is via wifi connection. I guess I'll try the GVoice option first....

Edit: Voogle seems to work pretty well -- wish there was some way to associate it with default messaging app
    Last edited by dslunceford; 11/30/2010 at 05:44 PM.
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    [QUOTE=dslunceford;2779127]Unfortunately, this won't work because the phone has no active Sprint number. The whole point of the Metadoctor is to avoid carrier activation (the last used number is still stored in the MSID, however).

This works just fine- the reply text message from the receiver goes directly back to the originating e-mail address. I did it with my wife when I worked somewhere I was not allowed to carry a cellphone but had computer access.
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Unfortunately, this won't work because the phone has no active Sprint number. The whole point of the Metadoctor is to avoid carrier activation (the last used number is still stored in the MSID, however).

Basically I turned a Pre into an iPod-touch like device (benefits are that daughter already knows how to use webOS vs iOS, have multiple touchstones for easy charging and cost was ~$75 vs $200 for new iPod Touch)

The only texting she'd do is via wifi connection. I guess I'll try the GVoice option first....

Edit: Voogle seems to work pretty well -- wish there was some way to associate it with default messaging app
    Yeah, we were trying to tell you how you can use your email to send someone else a text.

Then, as the other poster said, they can respond and it comes to you as email.
  14.    #14  
    [QUOTE=xylos555;2779346]
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post

This works just fine- the reply text message from the receiver goes directly back to the originating e-mail address. I did it with my wife when I worked somewhere I was not allowed to carry a cellphone but had computer access.
    Sorry, I don't mean that the process you mentioned doesn't work. I should have stated that having her use email app to text outbound/receive inbound wasn't what I was necessarily looking for, as conversation wouldn't be threaded like a text conversation would be.

GVoice and voogle work well for what I was looking to accomplish. Thanks for the replies and ideas!
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory