1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

Is there a way to "stress test" a Palm Pre to see if the OMAP CPU came from a good batch which lets it overclock to 1.0ghz and remain stable (without causing a crash or corruption)?

The background story is that I have access to 5 Palm Pre's and I can pick one of those to be mine... I want to make sure I cherry pick the one with a good CPU!

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by SuperZ; 11/29/2010 at 11:09 AM.
    Well, most Pres handle 1.0 with no issues, but you could play with the voltages, and pick whatever Pre supports the lowest voltage without crashing immediately (I'd do that)

Maybe I'm wrong
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    You could load the 1.2GHz kernal on all of them. Choose the one that lasts the longest lol
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I have found through trial and error that mine works best at 800 fixed. I don't think I have had any crashes at all at that speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Most phones are capable of handling 800mhz kernel, while only the (Chuck Norris) ones are able to handle 1ghz, or more. However, finding the chuck norris pres is kinda tricky... why? Because some phones will install the kermel ok, and then developed problem afterwards. While others will crash right on booting.
    I thought the Van Damme devices were able to run at 1Ghz with no issues while the Chuck Norris ones were the ones that ran at 1.2 Ghz

I once read something about Terminators... hehehe
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Actually the info-cop is incorrect. Virtually all Pre's can handle 1GHz hence the public release of the Uberkernel which goes to 1G. The acid test for a Chuck Norris Pre, as Garrett92C alluded to would be if a Pre can boot with the SR71 Blackbird kernel. I would recommend trying F105 Thunderchief first and then SR71.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    ^ Not all incorrect... I had a pre that would not bootup on 1ghz...
    That's why I said virtually all.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    My Pre doesn't like anything higher than 800, my son's Pre.....well, we're going to find out, soon!!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I just ordered another Pre yesterday off of ebay to serve as a backup for my aging Sprint Pre. My current model runs just fine at Screenstate 500/1000. So I'm hoping that I can get the same performance from the Pre that's soon to arrive!
    My Pre will only handle 1k if I don't let it clock lower then 500 during downtime. If I down clock my Pre to 125 or 250 with 1k at the up clock the cell radio goes screwy after while. I can however down clock to 125 or 250 if the max up clock is only 800 with no issues.
    I have run mine at 1G (screen on) and 250 (screen off) for some time. Lowered all of the default voltages to my optimums. My Pre handles is fine. Haven't noticed any issues. It doesn't even get too warm most of the time.