Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So after installing all the apps mentioned, it seems I have about a 40c on battery heat. I did some research and read that 45c (I think) is pushing it.

Is the 45c for CPU temp?

Thanks again!

~Zach
  2.    #2  
    Hello all, I just received my pre plus in the mail yesterday.

After playing around with it quite a bit last night and this morning. I notice the lower back getting a bit hot. Not painful to the touch, but uncomfortable to hold.

It seems to be happening below the battery, almost behind the keyboard.

I turned off the constant location updates, wifi, etc. Didn't seem to change much.

Is this normal?

Any ideas?

Thanks much in advance

~Zach
    Quote Originally Posted by zach_power View Post
    Hello all, I just received my pre plus in the mail yesterday.

After playing around with it quite a bit last night and this morning. I notice the lower back getting a bit hot. Not painful to the touch, but uncomfortable to hold.

It seems to be happening below the battery, almost behind the keyboard.

I turned off the constant location updates, wifi, etc. Didn't seem to change much.

Is this normal?

Any ideas?

Thanks much in advance

~Zach
    Yes, it's normal. It's just the phone/data radio's. The battery will get hot as well while discharging with a heavy load.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  4.    #4  
    Thank you very much for the quick response.

I appreciate the help! Feeling better now!

~Zach
    yep, it gets warm. Get govnah and battery monitor to periodically check the temp. I thing 55c is the temp where you should worry.
  6.    #6  
    Sounds great, I appreciate your help! I will go get those now.
  7.    #7  
    So after installing all the apps mentioned, it seems I have about a 40c on battery heat. I did some research and read that 45c (I think) is pushing it.

Is the 45c for CPU temp?

Thanks again!

~Zach
    If you are using Uberkernel it has built in defaults of 50 and 55c for thresholds. At 50 it scales down to default speeds and resets at 55. I am pretty sure you get a notification as well.
  9.    #9  
    I am currently using Battery Monitor and Govnah. Govnah has been running and has yet to show a temp, while Battery Monitor says "40" next to Batt. Temp.

Edit: No overclocking or anything of the sorts.
  10.    #10  
    Oh, gotcha. Is overheating a problem with normal CPU's?
    Overheating can be a problem for any CPU, regardless of what they are used in. The one in the Pre is perfectly normal.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  12.    #12  
    Sorry, by normal I meant normally clocked CPU's in the Pre...if it happens often even though it is not overclocked.

~Zach
    Quote Originally Posted by zach_power View Post
    Sorry, by normal I meant normally clocked CPU's in the Pre...if it happens often even though it is not overclocked.

~Zach
    It depends on the Pre, some have overheated at regular clocks speeds and some haven't.

In hot weather or when running several apps at once, my temp goes up even if I am running at the standard 500. Overclocking hasn't changed anything for me.
  14.    #14  
    Okie dokie! I suppose I will keep an eye on the temp, and if it gets any higher than 45c I will be calling for a replacement and try that.

I appreciate the help!

~Zach
    Mine's gone as high as 51C, I just let it do it's thing and cool off a little.
    the thing that generates the most heat is the 3g radio and charging.

most new pre owners play with the phone non-stop downloading apps, preware, patches, etc. Without realizing it, you drain and charge the battery continuously, until your wife demands eye contact or she will take away your new phone.

that generates heat and makes the battery life seem poor. Both will improve once the novelty wears off. I recommend the mugen 1400 battery so you always have a spare charged and ready.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    55 Is pushing it, I was on long travel with car charger for 4 hours and 2 hours in my phone hit 62 than shortly after my battery fried. Even 2 hours later the phone n battery were still so very hot. Took to a sprint store, phone was rebooted with a free replacement battery n said the battery was completely fried, couldn't even get a reading out of it. 62 is gonna mess anyone up big.
  18.    #18  
    Ah that makes total sense...as that's all I have been doing. >.>

Well fantastic. I will pick up a second battery around x-mas.

Thanks much for your reassurance.

~Zach
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the thing that generates the most heat is the 3g radio and charging.

most new pre owners play with the phone non-stop downloading apps, preware, patches, etc. Without realizing it, you drain and charge the battery continuously, until your wife demands eye contact or she will take away your new phone.

that generates heat and makes the battery life seem poor. Both will improve once the novelty wears off. I recommend the mugen 1400 battery so you always have a spare charged and ready.
    What a sexist comment, as if it's only men that use the Pre!

And those of us who don't do relationships can freely play with our toys! Yay!!!
    LOL you know I'm not being sexist, just acknowledging that men can only do one thing at a time. Women can play with a toy AND make eye contact at the same time.

whoa, are we doing a progressive insurance commercial? Tell me we are still talking about smartphones!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast