Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just got my 5th replacement Pre. I need to clear out my old Pre and remove all traces of Homebrew. I did the Full Erase from Device Options but it didn't remove some patches.
    I want to use WebOs Doctor, BUT my volume up button doesn't work. So I cant't get WebOs Doctor to start.
    How can I get WebOs doctor to start?
    Any help to totally clear out Pre would be great.
    You should be able to get the doctor to control your phone if you put it in dev mode.

But there are other de-patching options: Emergency Patch Removal tool and webOS repair utility.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Webos Doctor Versions

And I believe just charge mode and follow the doctor instructions.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    You should be able to get the doctor to control your phone if you put it in dev mode.

But there are other de-patching options: Emergency Patch Removal tool and webOS repair utility.
    I take it by this you mean DEV mode is required to use webOS QuickInstall to remove all patches with EPR, or to install Preware to do the same. However, if webOS Doctor fails on this device, I don't think either option would work. The problem is seems to be computer side (novacom). Solve this, and webOS Doctor would work, and the aforementioned options would no longer be needed.
    Perhaps I'm misreading your post. It's not very clear.

Post above yours contains incorrect info as well:
    You do not need a volume up button to run the webOS Doctor, especially not after a Full Erase.
  6.    #6  
    Thank you for your help. Putting the phone in Developer Mode and then doing Emergancy Repair from Webos Quickinstall worked. Thanks. Now I can feel better about sending the phone back.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpagano View Post
    Thank you for your help. Putting the phone in Developer Mode and then doing Emergancy Repair from Webos Quickinstall worked. Thanks. Now I can feel better about sending the phone back.
    You're welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Quote.. Post above yours contains incorrect info as well:
    You do not need a volume up button to run the webOS Doctor, especially not after a Full Erase. Quote ends..

How is my post incorrect? How would you get the phone in recovery mode, without holding down the volume button. Could you please explain that procedure - so I'll be aware of that method.

Thanks -
    Rush, you don't need recovery mode, nor a volume up button to run a webos doctor.
    Also, a webos doctor does not erase the usb partition, regardless whether you run it from recovery mode or not.
    Don't forget the a: bastart
    Thanks.. Now, could you explain to me - how to get my phone in recovery mode without holding down the "Up Volume Button" Please.
    Rush, the only person I know of who told another user to get in recovery mode without holding the volume up button, are you. I'm not sure if that post was deleted or not though. No offence.

As I said above, you don't need recovery mode, nor a volume up button to run a webos doctor.
    Quote.. Rush, the only person I know of who told another user to get in recovery mode without holding the volume up button, are you. I'm not sure if that post was deleted or not though. No offence. Quote ends..

You must have misunderstood my post. I would never say something like that. I'm quite aware of the procedure of doctoring my palm pre. If I recall correctly - that statement was made by you in a earlier post.

...Your last statement contradicts your first. You're going around in circles.

It's all good.
    Here's the thread RUSH:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pi...very-mode.html

Your post was deleted by bevcraw.
    You said quote-unquote:
    Ignorance is not a crime...so I'll let this one slide.

Try putting your phone in recovery mode without holding down the volumn.button.(Up)
    You can still see your original quote in Google's cache.
    Help yourself RUSH:
    Recovery mode - PreCentral Forums

Now, you were saying:
    You must have misunderstood my post. I would never say something like that. I'm quite aware of the procedure of doctoring my palm pre. If I recall correctly - that statement was made by you in a earlier post.
    Excuse me RUSH?
    I don't know of any other way of performing a doctor without holding down the up button. Recovery mode is required for the process to work.
    you forgot this one near the top of this thread...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 11/28/2010 at 10:34 AM.
    Well RUSH, most of us can read well. Mods have even better reading eyes.
    "Note: The point is - in order for a phone to use the "webos doctor" it is recommended to be in "recovery mode", and that process requires some steps which includes holding down the "volume up button"."

Incorrect. In 1.4.5 and below, Recovery Mode is not needed to Doctor. Can you please stop confusing people who are new around here?
    Could you post a link with this info please. No, this comments are confusing.
    I have never needed to put my phone in Recovery Mode to Doctor it. I have done this many times.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    I'm not saying that its impossible to do. I'm just following procedures/steps from Palm website on how to perform a webos doctor on your device. So.. if I'm going to instruct someone on how to doctor their phone - it's mandatory for me to tell them to make sure the phone is in "Recovery Mode" that's all.
    As far as I'm aware, that's incorrect as well.
    Palm includes the Recovery Mode step, when the device has encountered an unresolvable error or ROM error, or as part of the webOS Doctor troubleshooting procedure.

Definitely not, to run a normal webOS Doctor.

EDIT: Even if they did, it would be incorrect info; not a first for Palm.
    here is an idea instead of arguing. Rush, take one of your several palm phones and run the doctor without touching the volume button. Then you will see first hand that it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    here is an idea instead of arguing. Rush, take one of your several palm phones and run the doctor without touching the volume button. Then you will see first hand that it works.
    Huh. This is news to me. I thought that if the phone was not in Developer mode or in recovery mode that the Doctor would give the message about not needing to do the Doctor unless your phone is not responsive. I guess Palm made a change somewhere along the way and I missed it. That must be why my post was confusing. Sorry about that.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    actually, the palm site suggests using recovery mode if the 'rare instance' that the doctor hangs, or if other troubleshooting is needed.

it is poorly worded on the palm site so if you read that without the context of the link that gets you to that, it sounds like it is saying recovery mode is needed.

it's been a while since I doctored, but I definitely didn't need to be in recovery mode.
    The Palm website does not mention recovery mode in its initial instructions for running the doctor:

Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Resetting your phone with webOS Doctor

If running the webOS doctor is unsuccessful, then the Palm website recommends using recovery mode as one possible solution:

Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Troubleshooting webOS Doctor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast