Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just switched from Blackberry and I have enjoyed my Pre Plus for the most part. Most of the pretty standard smartphone features are good/acceptable, except for the Facebook app. I have had the following problems, just wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with them and/or figured out solutions for them:

Photos - can't add captions to photos I've uploaded, can't comment on any photos, can't "like" any photos. This is a big problem for me - the main advantage of having a facebook mobile client is to upload a picture and let people know what the picture is.

Links open in browser - not sure why notification links would open in the browser, opening either in the same card or in a new card would be ideal.

Commenting on my own status - when someone asks a question about a status update, I have to open my browser and go to the iphone site in order to answer. This also seems like a pretty common thing that people would like to have.

I've installed and uninstalled the most recent version and the beta version on preware. Are these problems common? Are there ways around them? Should I just use the mobile site? Take my plus back to verizon and get a BB Bold? Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    you should be able to do everything you said. Opening links in a browser is a known issue I believe. The rest might just be user error.
    Do make sure to have the latest build for it should do that stuff. Well does for me.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    How about you just go on m.facebook.com
  5.    #5  
    Maybe it was a user error - I probably forgot to install a patch and put my phone in developer mode with a ridiculous code while shaking it to refresh the whole time. Thanks for the help, you ***.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I have all of these issues except commenting and liking photos (I canNOT caption photos at the time of upload). You need to upload the picture, then open it, then tap on the screen to bring up the "tag/comment/like" menu.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Ya I don't care for how "basic" it seems.
    All the alternative versions have minimal things the other ones don't and it would be nice if it was just like viewing it on a computer with all the information provided there. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to have it that way but I don't know. The versions I've seen on other smart-phones come through proper, maybe 2.0 will prove better..?
    Everybody wants some!..
  8.    #8  
    When I try to comment on one of my own photos I get a "Cannot load comment object message" and the options to either retry or dismiss. Retrying over and over doesn't work. Weird thing is that it only happens with my own picture - I can comment on others' photos without problem.
    Again, no need for rudeness or name calling!

If someone has a problem with what they perceive as lacking in the Pre, they simply shouldn't purchase one.

There are enough phone options out there to enable everyone to find one that will suit their needs, even without any type of patching or hacking.

Those of us that do so, would do it to any phone we had, regardless of what it is or is not capable of at the time we purchase it.

If one doesn't want to shake to refresh, then it's simply a matter of not installing that patch and just using the refresh icon.

And user error is not the same as someone expecting more from an app, or simply not knowing how to access and use all of its features.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    What version of facebook are you using shake to reload is in the preferences. I am using 1.4.53 is the version I am using.

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    You can't comment or like your photos? That's weird. The links in browser problem was fixed ages ago.

In beta you can only comment on your own status if it has been commented on already though. Once it has a comment you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    What version of facebook are you using shake to reload is in the preferences. I am using 1.4.53 is the version I am using.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url= Beta[/url]
    Then, I have to assume it can also be turned off. I've the latest version and have never looked at the new prefs, so it's not on for me.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I'm using 1.4.53 (the one with support for Places) and I haven't experienced any of the issues you've mentioned. Are you sure you've been using the latest versions?
    I do not like the facebook app. i use the beta facebook app and it works so much better, that might be something you try, hope that helps
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhoward View Post
    Just switched from Blackberry and I have enjoyed my Pre Plus for the most part. Most of the pretty standard smartphone features are good/acceptable, except for the Facebook app. I have had the following problems, just wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with them and/or figured out solutions for them:

Photos - can't add captions to photos I've uploaded,
    Are you uploading them by clicking "upload to facebook" in the PHOTO app? If so, you won't be able to add a caption. In the facebook app there's a picture of a camera just to the left of where you update your status. Click it, select the picture you want, click "upload picture" and it should immediately give the option to add a caption. This is at least true of the beta. In fact, the rest of my post refers just to the beta.

can't comment on any photos, can't "like" any photos. This is a big problem for me - the main advantage of having a facebook mobile client is to upload a picture and let people know what the picture is.

When viewing a photo there should be three buttons at the bottom and a title at the top. If there are not, tap the screen and they should appear. The left one LIKEs the picture, the middle lets you view/add comments and the right one lets you tag people in the picture.

Links open in browser - not sure why notification links would open in the browser, opening either in the same card or in a new card would be ideal.
    Yeah. Happens... :/

Commenting on my own status - when someone asks a question about a status update, I have to open my browser and go to the iphone site in order to answer. This also seems like a pretty common thing that people would like to have.
    If, when viewing your feed/the comment in question, you tap the comment in question it opens to a to a more detailed scene with a text field at the bottom to enter a comment. You can also LIKE your status from this scene.

I've installed and uninstalled the most recent version and the beta version on preware. Are these problems common? Are there ways around them? Should I just use the mobile site? Take my plus back to verizon and get a BB Bold? Thanks in advance.
    Pre FTW! Some things take awhile to figure out, but at this point I couldn't imagine giving it up!
    I guess I should have stated the version I mentioned is the beta app. You can download appscoop it gives you access to the beta feeds and then download the beta app. If you are into the places thing you can also do the places thing.

Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I think this was an option even before the last update but not sure..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everybody wants some!..
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    I think this was an option even before the last update but not sure..
    Places just got active with 1.4.53.

I didn't know you could upload to facebook from photos app. Thanks I learned something new about the Pre tonight and I have had it since launch day. Ltm

I didn't know you could upload to facebook from photos app. Thanks I learned something new about the Pre tonight and I have had it since launch day. Ltm

I think it got added along the way somewhere. Wasn't always there.

And videos too...
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast