1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I have recently been upgraded to a Pre Plus. I previously had a standard Pre, and after about a year of use with a touchstone, my battery life had decreased significantly and the batterydr app in preware showed my battery health was ~45% (My phone would get to 40% battery and then suddenly decided it was out of juice and turn off).

I don't really want this to happen to my new phone, and I wonder whether this was down to regular touchstone use. I would end up taking the phone off the touchstone, then making a call or playing a game for 20mins and then putting it back on, so the phone would go between 70% and 100% battery regularly.

Is this bad for battery life? I really like using the touchstone - and the exhibition feature of upcoming webos2.0 seems to suggest that using the touchstone is a part of HP/Palms plans for the Pre, but will this kill my battery?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewrchambers View Post
    Hi all,

I have recently been upgraded to a Pre Plus. I previously had a standard Pre, and after about a year of use with a touchstone, my battery life had decreased significantly and the batterydr app in preware showed my battery health was ~45% (My phone would get to 40% battery and then suddenly decided it was out of juice and turn off).

I don't really want this to happen to my new phone, and I wonder whether this was down to regular touchstone use. I would end up taking the phone off the touchstone, then making a call or playing a game for 20mins and then putting it back on, so the phone would go between 70% and 100% battery regularly.

Is this bad for battery life? I really like using the touchstone - and the exhibition feature of upcoming webos2.0 seems to suggest that using the touchstone is a part of HP/Palms plans for the Pre, but will this kill my battery?

Thanks.
    I don't have an answer to your question, but I can vouch for what you are saying. I had a Pre for a year, and my battery life dropped significantly towards the end. The instant drop to zero and the 20 mins of playing games sounds all too familiar. I was/am also a heavy touchstone user with one at work, one at home, and one in my car, so the battery life only concerned me if I wasn't at one of those places. Problem is that I didn't know about Battery Doctor at the time so I never tested it.

I have a Pre Plus now and I am monitoring the situation. I think we should both check our batteries once a month and see how it is being affected. I bought mine late October and it is currently at 97% health.

I will run a check on 1st of November and go from there.
    Well it will wear down the battery a bit more, since most batteries' life is measured by the number of charge cycles.

Easiest solution is to keep some spare batteries... I have 4 myself.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    We don't know if using the TS will shorten the battery life.
    I think the batteries in the palm needs to get replaced after 3/4 to one year (regardless of using the TS).

Main reason is the need of daily recharge. Batterie life is limited to a dedicated charge circle count.
    My Pre spends most time on a TS since 1/2 year now (dual TS operation) and its battery health is still at 92%

I swapped the original battery for a "Mugen 1400" pretty early about one year ago.

So I wouldn't say it wears out the battery too quickly...
    Hi all,

Thanks.
    Have you tried calibrating the battery with the Dr battery homebrew app? This did wonders when I did it on mine and my daughter's phones. Also note that Li Ion batteries are like car batteries, they prefer to stay in a higher charge state rather than be run down and fully recharged like NiMH and NiCd batteries, but they still need a full discharge/recharge cycle now and again (which is essentially what Dr battery does).
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    The batteries these days, after the initial 2 full drain full recharges should be kept fully charged when possible to extend their life. Maybe a full drain once a month but other than that keeping it on the TouchStone should have no negative effects.
    Last edited by NachoB; 12/20/2010 at 09:17 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    I have a launch day Pre Plus that I keep on touchstones all day long (home, car & office). The battery still shows 100% charge and seems to hold its charge as good as it did when it was new.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    rechargeable batteries wear down. The more charging cycles, the faster it will happen. I have a year old extended Seidio battery with a hacked Touchstone back. My battery is just starting to show signs of wear (losing charge quickly). Time for a new battery soon.
    Keeping these types of batteries topped off (sitting on a TS charger) extends the battery life (as stated in the Mugen Battery directions). I have a Mugen 1400 battery that is almost a year old and it is still has around 90% capacity.
    Batteries wear out whether you use a touchstone or not. They have a finite amount of charge/discharge cycles.

Amazon currently has OEM Palm Pre batteries for $3.00 shipped...yes that's only $3.00 with free shipping! Go grab a few of them and you won't have to worry about battery life again.
    After using it since launch of sprint pre, I just now replaced my battery.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    The batteries these days, after the initial 2 full drain full recharges should be kept fully charged when possible to extend their life. Maybe a full drain once a month but other than that keeping it on the TouchStone should have no negative effects.
    That was very informative, thanks for the heads up!

My Themes:CLICK HERE