1.    #1  
    ok so i bought a second hand pre from sprint
    wanted to use it unactivated just as a pda but i cant get past the profile screen
    ok ive read how to do it etc but the stupid vol up button is broken so i cant get this sucker into recovery mode
    pretty much hopeless at this point

does anyone know how to get it into recovery mode somehow
    or does anyone know how i can repair the vol up button better yet where can i buy the parts if needed
    but is there any software or something so i can boot it into recovery mode
    phone is flawless for the exception of the broken vol button
    please heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/25/2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: inappropriate language
    In the sale forum, there is a parts thread and repair guide, you may find what you need there.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  3. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    doh, I skipped a paragraph.

I used a paperclip to press it when I had my old Pre.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    If you use Meta-Doctor, you won't need Recovery mode, and you'll be able to sign into your profile.
    Using the Palm bypass tool and the Show FirstUse app pach from Preware would be quicker, but you would need Recov Mode for that.
    so which one is it? lol i do need recovery mode or no?
    and paper clip didnt work its completely dead
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Reading skills are required for Meta-Doctor, so good luck!
    no help what so ever
    Inquiring minds want to know how did you "a second hand pre from Sprint". If you got this from a Sprint store - someone is NOT doing business on the up and up!

Now, if it is simply a second hand Sprint pre you got from Joe blo - that's different.

A return to Sprint won't work if its a second hand phone with a bad ESN - they check those things you know.

Looks like you got a device you can learn to tinker with!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Something isn't adding up here. If you actually bought the phone from Sprint - even if it is second hand they will replace it if there is an issue right away like this.

Another more likely possibility is that it was obtained elsewhere and it has a bad ESN - hence the reason for wanting to run the MetaDoctor and bypass the activation.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Quote...ok ive read how to do it etc but the stupid vol up button is broken so i cant get this sucker into recovery mode
    pretty much hopeless at this point Quote ends...
    Rush...I gotta ask...don't you know how to use the quote feature? I'm just curious because I often see you using the strange quoting method like you did above.
    This is just a guess, but I think he just meant it's a Sprint Pre, not that he purchased it from Sprint. He just wrote the sentence funny.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    This is just a guess, but I think he just meant it's a Sprint Pre, not that he purchased it from Sprint. He just wrote the sentence funny.
    yes thank you it was a used sprint pre just trying to state the pre was from sprint not verizon etc

but no it was a used sprint palm pre that i bought online and maaaan
    i actually got ahold of a palm pre locally but in the mist of opening it up and to replace the vol cable i forced the pre open and snapped the ribbon lol best 10 bucks i spent on a pre though atleast i got an extra lcd ,battery, and new touch screen and charger for 10 bucks

now im determined to get this sucker fixed