1.    #1  
    I was wondering if you can have both of these installed, or use both? From what I have read, Preware is so you can access things that are on webos quick install ON your phone, rather than through a USB cable. Am I correct in this? And then, is this what is considered a rooted phone then?

Thanks
    you can use both, but once you have preware installed, you will find it more convenient for most things because you can install from preware without being connected to your PC.
    we don't consider phones "rooted" at all in Palmland - 'rooting' is a long, difficult and sometimes dangerous process on, say, WinMo and Android devices that can be left bricked by the process; it's like Jailbreaking an iPhone. In Palmland, we call 'rooting' simply the Developer Mode.

You just have to enter the Konami Code upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart and tap the Developer Mode icon and voila - a restart and you're in Devmode. THIS is our equivalent to "rooting" your phone. Once you're in Devmode, you can tinker with Quick Install (from your PC) or Preware (on your device).

Hope this helps
    I use both and really like both...they co-exist very well. I also never have my phone not in developer mode because of the long boot times and because I've never read anything that would lead me to believe it makes any difference one way or the other so why go thru constant rebooting if you don't have to?
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

webosQI is on your PC/MAC.
    You can install ipkg's (Apps) from PC/MAC to device through USB. You also get an command line and some other tools with it. Needs DevMode.

preware is on your device.
    Install apps through feeds from web without PC/USB. DOesn't needs Devmode after installation.
    both, quick install is useful for special circumstances.
    I use WebOS QI to install Preware, then Preware to install everything else.

I don't necessarily prefer one over the other, but one time I installed a patch over QI I had problems removing/updating it over Preware because it didn't recognize the patch as installed.

This was a long time ago, mind you, so perhaps it was a bug that's since been worked out. Perhaps someone can enlighten me on whether or not this still happens (or ever did for anyone besides me).
  8.    #8  
    Thanks to all! I now have both and enjoying being able to take advantage of the Homebrew community.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre315 View Post
    Thanks to all! I now have both and enjoying being able to take advantage of the Homebrew community.
    Good choice.
    BTW: This forum is using a "thanks system". So if you want to thank somebody for a post just click that button ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by pre315 View Post
    Another important app you'll want to install, is Internalz, which will also allow you to install patches and make modifications to your phone without a PC. And giving you more control over your device than any other platform. Please visit the web-a-thon to make a donation if you can.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  11.    #11  
    Yep got that app too, along with the forums one, so I can reply on my phone! Wow, what was I thinking not to do this. I thought it was more involved, when I had my previous phone, WinMo HTC Mogul, it was very painstaking to figure out how to customize roms and all

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta