1.    #1  
    i have recently bought a 2nd hand palm pre and i was unnaware of palm profiles e.t.c, i only found out about it when i tried to open my app catalog and it failed only replying "the action could not be completed. try again later." which severeal people have had a problem with. i tried to reset my pre to the factory settings using webOS Doctor but i have tried several times and it will not recognise my phone.

please help (with any of it)

thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by palmprehadidimoud View Post
    i have recently bought a 2nd hand palm pre and i was unnaware of palm profiles e.t.c, i only found out about it when i tried to open my app catalog and it failed only replying "the action could not be completed. try again later." which severeal people have had a problem with. i tried to reset my pre to the factory settings using webOS Doctor but i have tried several times and it will not recognise my phone.

please help (with any of it)

thank you
    So, what variety of Pre do you have? GSM, CDMA, Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, O2 etc. Do you have a Palm Profile? How did you sign in when you first bought the Pre? Where are you located? Where was the phone activated originally?
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Dont use webOS Doctor. Give a try with Hard reset. (Device info->Reset option->Full Erase).

After doing hard reset, you will prompted to register / login to palm profile. Create your own and everything should be alright. I did the same for my friend who bought used palm pre plus phone, it worked well.

Please make sure your phone is on data plan accesss while creating palm profile. (Wi-fi connection cannot be used - as I could not). I assume that you are in contract with the same carrier of your phone.
    Last edited by djkesavan; 11/24/2010 at 10:47 AM.
  4.    #4  
    i actually tried webos doctor and for some reason it worked this time but now my problem is that i have no 3g connection and i don't know how to access my wifi so i am stuck on the creating a new palm profile.

also it is on O2

thanks
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    So, what variety of Pre do you have? GSM, CDMA, Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, O2 etc. Do you have a Palm Profile? How did you sign in when you first bought the Pre? Where are you located? Where was the phone activated originally?
    when i first got the pre it seemed as if the person had just turned it off because some of his stuff were still on the pre

i think it was activated in the uk (that's where i got it from) i am still in the uk.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by djkesavan View Post
    Dont use webOS Doctor. Give a try with Hard reset. (Device info->Reset option->Full Erase).

After doing hard reset, you will prompted to register / login to palm profile. Create your own and everything should be alright. I did the same for my friend who bought used palm pre plus phone, it worked well.

Please make sure your phone is on data plan accesss while creating palm profile. (Wi-fi connection cannot be used - as I could not). I assume that you are in contract with the same carrier of your phone.
    the phone is locked on o2 and i don't have a sim with a price plan (i only placed a free one so i could check that it works)

is there no hack or anything that can be done?
    Looks like you're going to need MetaDoctor...
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    You don't have wifi capability, or you don't know how to enable it. On the main screen tap where the clock is, then a drop down menu should appear...you should then see turn wifi on.
    OP is stuck at the Profile login/creation screen. You can't turn wifi on from there.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    You don't have wifi capability, or you don't know how to enable it. On the main screen tap where the clock is, then a drop down menu should appear...you should then see turn wifi on/off.
    i was already aware of that but when you are in the setup process of making a palm profile that feature is disbabled.

thanks anyway
  10.    #10  
    can you please tell me how to use meta doctor so i can decide weather it is suitable or not?
    You could also use Pal's bypass tool: Developing on an Unactivated Device - HP Palm Developer Center

After you run that, you'd need to install Preware and then install the "Show FirstUse App" patch so you can sign into your profile again.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmprehadidimoud View Post
    can you please tell me how to use meta doctor so i can decide weather it is suitable or not?
    Basically, MetaDoctor allows you to initially bypass that Palm profile login screen (FirstUse app). You then can launch the FirstUse app after turning on wifi and sign in to your profile.

The Palm bypass tool may be much easier for you though lol.
  13.    #13  
    [QUOTE=Garrett92C;2773130]Basically, MetaDoctor allows you to initially bypass that Palm profile login screen (FirstUse app). You then can launch the FirstUse app after turning on wifi and sign in to your profile.

The Palm bypass tool may be much easier for you though lol.

the thing is i want to make a new profile...can i make a new one after i have skipped those stages?
    I'm pretty sure you can. That Palm profile login/creation screen your stuck at is called the FirstUse app. If you use the Bypass Tool, you'll be able to get passed that screen and turn on wifi. Then you need to insall Preware and the "Show FirstUse app" patch. Then, the FirstUse app will appear on your Launcher so you can run it again.
    Why dont you borrow some one's SIM which has Data plan. Put that and Create Palm profile. Once you done with, you can remove the SIM and put yours. Everything should be alright and then. This way you no need to bother about lot of other complications.

After this step, you can use wi-fi for accessing net. You no need to have data plan.