1.    #1  
    How does it work? A built in GPS sensor does not require a internet connection nor a gsm signal why Palm pre requires a connection?

I sometimes see my location on the map seems far away from my physical location and it seems it is related to gsm signal quality? Is it gsm triangulation way of finding the coordinates?
    maps are loaded over the internet when you start gmaps.

are you on vzw? There are a ton of threads about the issue on vzw. Several patches and workarounds available.

one such workaround is an app/patch combination called GPSfix.
    Quote Originally Posted by secure View Post
    How does it work? A built in GPS sensor does not require a internet connection nor a gsm signal why Palm pre requires a connection?

I sometimes see my location on the map seems far away from my physical location and it seems it is related to gsm signal quality? Is it gsm triangulation way of finding the coordinates?
    The Pre will estimate your location by triangulating signal strength against cell towers until it can obtain an accurate GPS fix. The light-blue circle surrounding the dot marking your location indicates the estimated margin of error. In other words, the Pre thinks you could be anywhere inside that circle. The internet connection is required because it doesn't have any onboard maps and needs to download them on demand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Awesome View Post
    The Pre will estimate your location by triangulating signal strength against cell towers until it can obtain an accurate GPS fix. The light-blue circle surrounding the dot marking your location indicates the estimated margin of error. In other words, the Pre thinks you could be anywhere inside that circle. The internet connection is required because it doesn't have any onboard maps and needs to download them on demand.
    So does this mean that all the Golfing apps are totally pointless as you would would obviously require accuracy of a few yards?
    Quote Originally Posted by jagspur View Post
    So does this mean that all the Golfing apps are totally pointless as you would would obviously require accuracy of a few yards?
    Once the real GPS gets a lock, you'll get good accuracy. A good golfing app will have all the information for a particular course on device and would be able to give you accurate distance information. You can check the specific threads for the individual golfing apps to see how accurate those apps are.

The bigger initial circle shown in Google Maps would be from cell tower triangulation, but assuming it can get a more accurate GPS fix, the circle would get smaller and then stay smaller as long as the GPS fix could be maintained. If you're out on a golf course, that should definitely be the case. If you're driving around and go underground or are in an area with a lot of tall skyscrapers, the GPS fix might vary quite a bit and the cell tower triangulation might kick back in.
    Quote Originally Posted by secure View Post

On smartphones, they will first tap you data connection and cell triangulation to get the almanac faster thus you get a faster GPS lock. You don't need a data plan at all to get the gps lock but it will take a little bit longer and apps that store the maps online are worthless to which most are. Smartphones are just built around this premise that to use the phone and its services you need coverage. If its that paramount to go out in the middle of nowhere to use GPS then that's why TomTom is still around

If you want to, Preware has a stand-alone GPS mapping called Navit in the test feeds that will give you GPS without carrier involvement but comes at prices of downloading huge map files.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jagspur View Post
    You need stand-alone GPS at a golf course? Since when can you not get cell coverage at a gold course? That's a contradiction in terms so don't worry about that. Haven't ran into one yet. Even if it didn't, Palm products still can do stand alone GPS just takes longer to aquire gps than with carrier help.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Read this thread on how to achieve standalone GPS on your Pre:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-cached.html

Turn Airplane mode on and it works! (this fix does not work on all verizon devices, I'm told)
    Do belive that the Verizon aGPS blocker patch is making stand-alone gps possible again.

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    If you want to, Preware has a stand-alone GPS mapping called Navit in the test feeds that will give you GPS without carrier involvement but comes at prices of downloading huge map files.
    Mapping Tool and Mapping Tool Pro can use stored map tiles as well. Using a java program called Mobile Atlas Creator on your computer, you can download map tiles in a format that Mapping Tool can use, and you can choose your source (Google satellite, hybrid, etc.). It doesn't do turn-by-turn nav, though, or any kind of nav.

And yes, the map tiles will use up a lot of the storage on your Pre, especially if you want lots of zoomed-in levels or a large area.
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    You need stand-alone GPS at a golf course? Since when can you not get cell coverage at a gold course? That's a contradiction in terms so don't worry about that. Haven't ran into one yet. Even if it didn't, Palm products still can do stand alone GPS just takes longer to aquire gps than with carrier help.
    So does this mean I don't need to download any app/patch to make my Palm Pre a work perfectly as a stand-alone GPS?