Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    How can you live without preware? I could (and actually did) live without the app catalog. But preware?
    I live without preware every day.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I live without preware every day.
    I feel with you. Sorry to hear that.
    If your pre gets 1/2 year old and your palm shutsdown at 20% just call me, and we will fix it.

EDIT: I can't buy any payed apps even thought I live in germany and have a O2 card since I have have an american express card.
    If your pre gets 1/2 year old and your palm shutsdown at 20% just call me, and we will fix it.

EDIT: I can't buy any payed apps even thought I live in germany and have a O2 card since I have have an american express card.
    Why feel for us. I've had my Pre for over a year without Preware and it works fine.
    Hi Legacy2000,

If you are trying to recover messages, try following the ideas posted in this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-messages.html

All three of my devices are between 1 1/2 years old and a month old and are working as expected on various webOS versions.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Edit the sqllite database.
    That only spoofs one side, your own, and wouldn't stand up against carrier records. Now if you wanted to, you could "spoof" by using a 3rd party SMS gateway, or a carrier website (i.e. i wireless - Text Messaging)

Again, it wouldn't show prove the sender sent the message, since it could be traced back to the website, and the IP of the computer that sent it. However you couldn't be pinned for editing your own SQL database, since your phone received the text. It's called Plausible Deniability.

It would be very very hard for a normal individual to fully fake a SMS message on both sides.

^^^Above material for educational purposes only. Just sayin. I don't want to be
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    All three of my devices are between 1 1/2 years old and a month old and are working as expected on various webOS versions.
    OK I give up. You won. I know you are from palm. You actually helped me once.
    I just wanted to point out, that preware is not evil. Palm is "promoting" preware and this is THE reason I didn't buy an eyefone but a palm again. I had alot of palms beginning with the original palm pilot.
    Regards to silicon valley.
    somline, I don't think anyone is calling Preware evil. Some of us choose not to have it for various reasons and our phones run fine in our opinions.
    **steering the thread back on topic**

This thread is meant to help the OP out with an issue of retrieving text messages. Lets please stay on topic. Thanks!

@cowgirlupkelly - if you ever want help installing Preware, just PM me and we can give you hand
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    **steering the thread back on topic**

This thread is meant to help the OP out with an issue of retrieving text messages. Lets please stay on topic. Thanks!

@cowgirlupkelly - if you ever want help installing Preware, just PM me and we can give you hand
    Thanks and sorry. You're right ( as always ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I sure will. You've offered before too. Glad we have people like you in this community.
    Quote Originally Posted by aramova View Post
    That only spoofs one side, your own, and wouldn't stand up against carrier records. Now if you wanted to, you could "spoof" by using a 3rd party SMS gateway, or a carrier website (i.e. i wireless - Text Messaging)

Again, it wouldn't show prove the sender sent the message, since it could be traced back to the website, and the IP of the computer that sent it. However you couldn't be pinned for editing your own SQL database, since your phone received the text. It's called Plausible Deniability.

It would be very very hard for a normal individual to fully fake a SMS message on both sides.

^^^Above material for educational purposes only. Just sayin. I don't want to be
    Yep, you are correct on the onesidedness of the spoofing and that is kind of what I was getting at. If I receive a text message from you, I could edit the database and change that message's contents, and as long as it is the same length, I could edit that message to say something different. Unless the carriers do keep the content of the messages, all they would be able to say is that you sent me a message of a certain length at a certain date and time. And that would jive with what is on my phone except I've edited the contents to change what you said.
    Updated my original post, will post here again for those subscribed to this thread awaiting a good answer.

You can try the below, they may or may not be there.

Using WebOS Quick Install, go to Tools, then Receive File (you'll need to be in Developer mode to do this).
    enter: /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 and select your save location.

View the db3 file with: SQLite Database Browser

In SQLite Database Browser, select the "Browse Data" tab and look for com_palm_pim_FolderEntry in the drop down menu.

This will be pretty messy because Email and SMS's are stored in the same table within the database.

The best way to view the data, in my opinion, would be to do an export in SQLite, export com_palm_pim_FolderEntry in csv format (be sure to include .csv at the end of the filename, SQLite doesn't include this for some reason), then open it up with Excel or similar app. I deleted all columns except for deviceTimeStamp, fromAddress, timeStamp, summary, and messageText. I then sorted the data by the timeStamp column which allowed me to view my messages (received and sent) in the order they occurred. Sent messages have no fromAddress so if you attempt to sort by both timeStamp and fromAddress your messages won't appear in order with received messages.

Hope all that makes sense.

Last edited by NachoB; 11/29/2010 at 07:54 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12