Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

    I've got a Palm Pre with O2 in the UK. Well I use the present tense, but last week the screen just fizzled and died, although the phone itself still worked fine (rang/buzzed when called). Anyway I took it into the O2 shop where I bought it last year: it's a year and two weeks since I bought it.

    After a week, they rung me up this morning to tell me that the screen is not covered by manufacturer's warranty. Is this right? It seems odd to me that possibly the most important part of the phone isn't covered and they wanted 101.72 to repair it.

    I am insured. And I'm pretty sure that I'm on the premium insurance (I pay 7.50 a month) so that can cover me, but I also thought I was covered for a replacement device. Though if I weren't insured, isn't this around the same amount of money people have been getting pay-as-you-go Pre plusses for? (mine's the original minus).

    Can anyone give me any pointers on what I should do? I told the O2 guy who rang me that I'd get back to him as what he was saying didn't make a whole lot of sense.
  2. #2  
    you can print a copy of the warranty from the pm website for him to read.

    unless there is evidence of physical abuse, the warranty covers the entire phone.
  3. #3  
    first find out what exactly your insurance covers by getting a copy of the agreement . Second , does your phone have any signs of abuse ? Scratches cracks ext.. Then if everything looks good it's a hardware issue and if you have insurance it should be covered but where I'm at it's 100.00 to replace a phone under the insurance policy . Also you might try calling palm directly they have been known to replace phones that way as well.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you can print a copy of the warranty from the pm website for him to read.

    unless there is evidence of physical abuse, the warranty covers the entire phone.
    manufacturers warranty is for 1 year on hardware and lifetime on software I believe . I had my phone replaced after 1 year plus, when the screen started going nuts lol . It is a thin line either way
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  5.    #5  
    Wow! That was quick!

    The unfortunate thing is I did have an accident with the phone a few months ago and a very small part of the outer casing got chipped off, so it's not unblemished. But like I say that was MONTHS ago and the phone has been working perfectly well up until a week ago.

    Though I guess what you're saying is that even though the damage has nothing to do with the fault I'm sending it in for, they will automatically assume the damage has caused the problem?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyBoy View Post
    Hi,

    I've got a Palm Pre with O2 in the UK. Well I use the present tense, but last week the screen just fizzled and died, although the phone itself still worked fine (rang/buzzed when called). Anyway I took it into the O2 shop where I bought it last year: it's a year and two weeks since I bought it.

    After a week, they rung me up this morning to tell me that the screen is not covered by manufacturer's warranty. Is this right? It seems odd to me that possibly the most important part of the phone isn't covered and they wanted 101.72 to repair it.

    I am insured. And I'm pretty sure that I'm on the premium insurance (I pay 7.50 a month) so that can cover me, but I also thought I was covered for a replacement device. Though if I weren't insured, isn't this around the same amount of money people have been getting pay-as-you-go Pre plusses for? (mine's the original minus).

    Can anyone give me any pointers on what I should do? I told the O2 guy who rang me that I'd get back to him as what he was saying didn't make a whole lot of sense.
    Any manafacturing fault is covered by the warranty. Even the screen, unless due to physical damage. However there is still a problem you might face, o2 may try to say that you are only warrantied for a year, but under law your covered for at least 2 years, so don't let them say your out of warranty.
    I think the best course of action is to ring back the repair centre, and insist that the screen is under warranty.
    If they still claim the screen not to covered then ask them to directly point to the exemption in the warranty agreement (It's not in there, download the pdf off o2's website to see for yourself). Hold firm unless they can produce some very compelling evidence that it is in fact exempt.

    If that should not go smoothly then you are covered by the 7.50 insurance. Simply demand that o2 send your pre back, ring up the insurance company and they will organise a courier to deliver a replacement. Keep in mind however that you will need to pay the 25 excess ( but there is a possibility they will swap it out for a pre plus)

    Let us know how it goes.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyBoy View Post
    Wow! That was quick!

    The unfortunate thing is I did have an accident with the phone a few months ago and a very small part of the outer casing got chipped off, so it's not unblemished. But like I say that was MONTHS ago and the phone has been working perfectly well up until a week ago.

    Though I guess what you're saying is that even though the damage has nothing to do with the fault I'm sending it in for, they will automatically assume the damage has caused the problem?
    yes this is the case . They assume it was your fault because of the damage.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  8. #8  
    Its quite obvious that - that sales rep has no idea of what is covered, or what is not. If they(02) reps refuse on changing the device, you could either have them connect you to a supervisor/manager, or contact Palm personally. Note: (Water damage, and/or physical damage.. aren't covered by your insurance).

    Good luck.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    yes this is the case . They assume it was your fault because of the damage.
    That's what I was afraid of when I took it in. Well I think after what's been said here, under the terms of the warranty I'm not covered, even though the damage doesn't have anything to do with the screen problem.

    To be honest, after a week without my Pre I'm getting baaaad withdrawal symptoms and I might just see if I can get a replacement device.

    I do love my Pre, despite its shortcomings.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyBoy View Post
    That's what I was afraid of when I took it in. Well I think after what's been said here, under the terms of the warranty I'm not covered, even though the damage doesn't have anything to do with the screen problem.

    To be honest, after a week without my Pre I'm getting baaaad withdrawal symptoms and I might just see if I can get a replacement device.

    I do love my Pre, despite its shortcomings.
    I'm with ya on that one . But you can still try to get then to replace it first . And under the insurance it should still be cheaper than a new one right ?! Lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I'm with ya on that one . But you can still try to get then to replace it first . And under the insurance it should still be cheaper than a new one right ?! Lol
    Except for the fact that you can't get a new one from O2 any more! lol

    I was toying with the idea of changing my contract with O2 and buying the Pre 2. But I just can't justify 399 on a phone that's essentially an incremental upgrade, even with the extra battery life and processing power. 100 quid less and I might have bitten... *sigh*

    OK, I'll get myself off to the O2 shop and see what can be done.
  12. #12  
    let us know the details of what happaned please
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    let us know the details of what happaned please
    Well I've been to the shop and I must say I'm not remotely happy.

    I was told that if I paid the money i could have the phone back repaired in 2-3 days. I refused though because that would make a nonsense of my paying them insurance for the past year. To which they said they would need to get the phone returned and only then could I place a claim with insurance. And when I asked if I'd get a replacement, the guy said "Oh no, it'll still need to be repaired, it's just the insurance company will pay for it then". To which I said "So if I go with insurance I'm looking at well over a week more without my phone, but if I pay the money I'm looking at a week?" "Yes", was the reply.

    So i said I wasn't happy about the situation one little bit. And he said, well we can talk to O2 services. So I said, let's do that then. At which point he dialled a number and then just handed me the phone! In any case I'd forgotten my phone number and so couldn't complete the call.

    One of the reasons I went with a shop in the first place is that everyone told me you get much better service when things go wrong. But to be brutally frank the only convenience I've had is a basic loan phone (which I *hate* with a passion by the way) other than that I'm extremely displeased with the way this has gone so far. And it's not even over yet.

    So I've got another week (and maybe more) of not knowing who's calling me, or any of my friend's numbers and not being able to check my email when i'm out and about. Seriously displeased.
  14. #14  
    so is the insurance covering it or what ? They gave you a loaner also ? I don't understand?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  15.    #15  
    Well, they gave me a loan phone a week ago when I took it in (which I admit they didn't have to do, even if it is the most basic phone they have).

    But no, they refused to contact the insurance people, even though they're quite happy to take the money for it. They're getting the phone sent back and then I have to pick it up and after that I'm on my own with the insurance people. So I can't even tell you if the insurance people will cover the cost - the guy said that they would, but I'm not about to take his word as gospel.

    So the last week of waiting has been a complete waste of time and when the phone is returned I'm back to square one.
  16. #16  
    sorry to hear that , maybe you should try talking to palm directly . Just call them and explain ur issue and situation . Maybe they will help ?? It's worth a try.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  17.    #17  
    I'm not sure they could as it's internal O2 procedures now. But I guess I'll give it a go.

    I think I'm getting Pre cold turkey symptoms. I keep on wanting to touch every screen I see... ;-)
  18. #18  
    lol ha ha !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->

Posting Permissions