1.    #1  
    What makes the Pre get so hot when tethering via WiFi?

I always leave Govnah running to keep an eye on the temp. It's 52 degrees right now... got up to 55 degrees earlier today.

Getting ready log off for a while to let things cool down.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    The heat is normal. Do you have your slider open to help dissipate the heat?

You could also set a small desk fan to blow across the phone while tethering, it will make a huge difference.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Thats just what the phone does man lol...i sometimes fine it hard to believe that my phone still gets hot sometimes and im running the baby at 800mhz
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Can't tell you why but it's just the way it is. I used to have mine on the touchstone in front of my A/C when I had to use it in the summertime heat. I hit 115+ degrees easily without it in a cool breeze.
    Can't complain about the price to use this functionality but just needed to be aware of the temp. I also used over 12gigs of data usage one month but, ya know, Sprints all good.. .
    Everybody wants some!..
    Its doing double the work. Its maintaining a wifi connection and a 3G connection and actively transferring between both. that means the cpu is in use more and creating more heat.
    Help keep WebOS homebrew alive! Donate to WebOS Internals!

Sprint Pre Plus - WebOS 2.1.0 - F105 Thunderchief Kernel

Einhorn is Finkel! ... Finkel is Einhorn!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    The heat is normal. Do you have your slider open to help dissipate the heat?

You could also set a small desk fan to blow across the phone while tethering, it will make a huge difference.
    Yes slider open. No fan available @ my mom's house.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by smknutson View Post
    Its doing double the work. Its maintaining a wifi connection and a 3G connection and actively transferring between both. that means the cpu is in use more and creating more heat.
    That makes sense. I know the phone tends to heat up some with heavy data use, but nothing like I see with wifi tethering.
    I thought I installed the new stuff and freetether installed right, and my devices connect, but don't get data. I'm not sure what I did wrong
    Just did a test of Wifi tethering on Sprint for over 40 minutes. GPS off,Data Collection Off, Emails set to Manual and Govnah set to 500/1000;the temperature has been very steady at 34C/93F.

Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Yes slider open. No fan available @ my mom's house.
    $15 or less @ Best Buy for a 9" desk fan.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Don't you mean worstbuy?

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums Beta
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
    why would I want to buy a fan for my phone?...Would I also have to carry the fan everywhere too?
    I would set my touchstone over a floor register in the warm months, since the air coming out was cool. That would help. Also, if you plug in the USB cable instead of using your touchstone, and set the Pre on a good heat sink, like a stone countertop, or maybe glass...something that holds pretty steady to the temperature of the room and will suck the heat from something warm, you will have better results. I found a granite table top that was pretty good about keeping the temp down. Opening the slider in addition is helpful too.

Once last summer, I was working on a back porch, and as the day got warmer, I got the high temp alert. I got a freezer pack out of the freezer, wrapped it with a hand towel and set the pre on top...it worked very well. I checked often to see if there was any indication of condensation building up, but there never was...the Pre still is pretty warm, so condensation is driven away.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!