1.    #1  
    Question for the developer types and gurus: How hard would it be for Sling programmers to port their iPhone or Droid slingplayer apps to a webOS version. I thought the pdk made this pretty easy? Would it be as quick as some of the games, like a few days??? Just wondering why they would not do this. I would pay $30 bones for the app.....

weigh in....
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    +1 to paying the money....
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    Question for the developer types and gurus: How hard would it be for Sling programmers to port their iPhone or Droid slingplayer apps to a webOS version. I thought the pdk made this pretty easy? Would it be as quick as some of the games, like a few days??? Just wondering why they would not do this. I would pay $30 bones for the app.....

weigh in....
    As I've said over a hundred times (yet nobody ever listens):

the PDK is useful for porting GAMES and that is about 95% of what can be ported.

The PDK doesn't include a UI component, and until there is the Hybrid SDK/PDK (which they say is coming in 2.0), this is extremely difficult to do.

Even with the Hybrid PDK/SDK, they will need to:

1) Write a UI in Mojo/Enyo
    2) Rip out only a small chunk of their C/C++ code (for the actual playback) and make that the hybrid component. Then add another hundred or so (maybe more) lines in to handle the hybrid parts.
    3) Put the parts together and release

You're looking at a couple week process here and until webOS 2.0 is out, they won't be able to actually release the final product.

And even then, the market share of webOS is (in their opinion) too small for them to care. They see it as:

2.5 million US users
    Unlikely to be a large number of Slingplayer users on webOS
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    2.5 million US users
    Unlikely to be a large number of Slingplayer users on webOS
    I'm a US user and owner of a Slingbox. I'd pay to have Slingplayer for my Pre.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    will it work thru flash in the browser in webos 2.0?
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyHDTV View Post
    I'm a US user and owner of a Slingbox. I'd pay to have Slingplayer for my Pre.
    Me, too. Used it on my Treo all the time. Would love to have it on the Pre or next webOS phone.
    Yep. Ditto. Ready to buy the whole system once WebOS is available from Sling.

Slingbox Answers Forum: Slingplayer Mobile for WebOS
    I already have Slingplayer Mobile on my old PalmOS Treo 700p. I would gladly pay for it again to have it on my webOS Palm Pre!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrDrgn View Post
    I already have Slingplayer Mobile on my old PalmOS Treo 700p. I would gladly pay for it again to have it on my webOS Palm Pre!!
    +1,000,000,000,000,000,000,00
    I miss Sling so much from my old 700p.
    C'mon Sling, the amount of effort and cash to put out a Web OS player can't be that much.
    I'd even buy a new Slingbox to replace my current AV.
    I'd even beg.
    Puhlease, Sling!
    Knew this was gonna happen before WebOS:

Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I would definitely pay up to $100 for slingplayer for WEBOS....
    +infinity for wanting this on webOS too.
    I bought the Pre highly banked on the fact it would be out soon after launch (based on media statements)

Does anyone know if the 'old' Slingplayer for PalmOS works on a Pre via Classic?
    Or is there some other limitation (like Flash) that would prevent this also?
    I don't think it will work with Classic. I don't think Classic supports this type of sounds.
    I own a slingplayer hd. Would pay 30 to have on webos.
    If windows phone 7 gets sling before webos I will be disappointed. For a platform built on web infrastructure, webos sure lacks many web services. I hope they find a way around this soon. Maybe hybrid is the answer... I can't say.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by edd247 View Post
    will it work thru flash in the browser in webos 2.0?
    Sling Media has a website that Slingbox owners and users can use to watch their Slingbox placeshifted TV in a web browser using Flash for the Video.

Will someone with a Slingbox and a Pre 2 please test this and report back here?

If that works, I'm heading out to grab me a Slingbox.

Thanks,
    TTB

P.S. Even though I have Orb working on a Pre 2, it's still the same old quirky Orb. Flash didn't help make Orb's tuner cfg any easier! crossing fingers hoping to hear Slingbox url works decently on the Pre 2 ....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    It doesn't work, just tried it.
    I have a pre 2 + slingbox solo.
    Quote Originally Posted by yaniv79 View Post
    It doesn't work, just tried it.
    I have a pre 2 + slingbox solo.
    Just another reason why I'm leaving for an EVO 3D. Web OS gets no love from Sling.
    Thanks for trying.