Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone here know if I can use an unlocked Pre (or even a locked one) with an AT&T SIM that doesn't have Data on it? Will they know it's a Pre and require data on the line?

Does anyone use a SIM with only voice on the AT&T network?

This is for a friend who has AT&T with a dumbphone and has no interest in data. WiFi is adequate for his needs. I understand there's no point in having this kind of a phone without data, etc...
    I'm pretty sure that a data plan is required. I've read here that if you don't have a data plan, it will be automatically added if you use your SIM in the phone.

I'm not entirely familiar with how AT&T works, so it is possible that I am wrong lol. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
  3.    #3  
    Bah! Yeah that's what I keep hearing. It would suck to get an awesome Pre as a gift only to have your plan increased by a good 30 bucks or so. :/.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Bah! Yeah that's what I keep hearing. It would suck to get an awesome Pre as a gift only to have your plan increased by a good 30 bucks or so. :/.
    Aww man that sucks... I think if you use a pre-paid SIM, it works differently though. Again, I'm not entirely sure lol
    i use mine with a prepaid sim. i use mostly wifi and dont use my phone much for voice or text. if i know that i will need data, i buy 100 meg for 20 bucks. its only good for 30 days. not a very good deal but i only use it/buy it(on rare occassion) if i know know that i will be away from a wifi and only use it to check my email and some very light surfing . well worth it for my use as i cant see paying 60 bucks a month for a voice and data plan.

my yearly cost and use on my prepaid is less than 150 dollars a year
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the info! I was thinking about getting a prepaid SIM for my own Pre.

The problem for my friend is, he's on one of the additional lines on a family plan. He already has service with voice only. He's just looking for a new phone and I was wondering if I could hook him up with a Pre without ATT getting mad...

I guess the general consesus is no. :/.
    then just get the minimum data plan. 15 bucks a month for 200 megs i think
    The phone has issues if it's not connected to a data plan. I disable the 3g from time to time to limit unintentional data use. I have WiFi access at home and work, so the 200mb plan has worked fine for me so far. However, when I have disabled the 3g data, picture (media) messages do not send or receive until I turn the data back on. (I have the unlimited messaging plan, but they apparently depend on the 3g setting in the phone app)

FWIW, I think the phone would be damn-near useless without a data plan and I have no idea how someone would make 200mb a month work if you spend much time at all away from WiFi access. YMMV

Mals
    Last edited by Malstorme; 11/21/2010 at 03:38 PM.
    I have the unlimited (5gb) plan but use less then 150mb. Mostly WiFi and hot spots. So it's possible to be in the cheap plan with no worries.
    Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, AT&T Centro, Palm Pre Plus (AT&T), HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note (Sigh).
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Is it possible to use the $30 dumb phone unlimited text/data prepaid SIM with a Palm Pre 2? I don't think they would have it in there systems, but I am thinking of picking a Pre 2 up and switching from Tmo. Only if I could use the cheaper, unlimited dumb phone plan however.
    Basically, would AT&T know that I'm using a Pre 2 and switch me to the appropriate and more expensive smartphone plan?
  11.    #11  
    I think they know the phones that are in their systems. If they don't understand the phone, they probably won't do anything.

There's only one way to find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'm pretty sure that a data plan is required. I've read here that if you don't have a data plan, it will be automatically added if you use your SIM in the phone.

I'm not entirely familiar with how AT&T works, so it is possible that I am wrong lol. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

You're right, once you place the sim in AT&T will automatically "see it" on the network and bill you for the minimum plan (200mb) or the next higher tier depending how much data you use during the billing cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malstorme View Post
    The phone has issues if it's not connected to a data plan. I disable the 3g from time to time to limit unintentional data use. I have WiFi access at home and work, so the 200mb plan has worked fine for me so far. However, when I have disabled the 3g data, picture (media) messages do not send or receive until I turn the data back on. (I have the unlimited messaging plan, but they apparently depend on the 3g setting in the phone app)

FWIW, I think the phone would be damn-near useless without a data plan and I have no idea how someone would make 200mb a month work if you spend much time at all away from WiFi access. YMMV

Mals

The 200mb plan works good for me, I live in a rural area with no 3g so i mostly depend on my home wifi network. I do a lot of music streaming with pandora when I'm doing outside chores, and surf the net, excess my podcasts in bed. Some would say that I'm not getting the most out of my phone this way but it works well for me, and lets not forget the primary mission for the device is for phone calls.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    oh boy, of course you can use a pre without a dataplan. Even dumbphones nowadays can do email and surfing, so why should att charge you for changing your phone? They can't just change your contract...

tell your friend there's a "turn off data switch" in your phonemenu, if it's switched off, the pre only uses wifi-connectivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbriar511 View Post
    The 200mb plan works good for me...]
    It works well for me too, but I have access at home AND work and still wind up using 100mb or so. I'm simply pointing out that if you DON'T have WiFi access most of the time, 200mb would probably get used pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by hartmund View Post
    tell your friend there's a "turn off data switch" in your phonemenu, if it's switched off, the pre only uses wifi-connectivity.
    If you do that, media messaging doesn't work correctly. Texts still come through or go out, but if it's a media message it will not send/receive it... When you re-enable data, the messages come through, but there's obviously a delay from when they're sent/received.

I turn mine off from time to time to make sure I don't go over my plan, but it IS a limitation. It kinda ****es me off, but it is what it is...

Mals
    Quote Originally Posted by hartmund View Post
    oh boy, of course you can use a pre without a dataplan. Even dumbphones nowadays can do email and surfing, so why should att charge you for changing your phone? They can't just change your contract...
    If the contract requires certain features with certain types of phones, which it does, then yes, they will.

They'll know it's a Smartphone the minute you call up to activate it and refuse to do so without adding a data plan. If you sneak it on and they detect you they can add the data plan or remove you from the network.

You need a data plan if you have a smart phone on AT&T. Period.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    For this phone, a data plan is required. My Pre Plus replaced a Blackberry and they still have me on the Blackberry unlimited plan. Not sure exactly how that works. Those new data capped plans don't work for me because I use a lot of data. I'm ultimately leaving AT&T for another vendor who still has unlimited data because I'm not going to be forced onto a data capped plan when it's time for the next upgrade. That upgrade won't be happening at AT&T.
    "And miles to go before I sleep..."
    Guitarist/Composer/Founder- Metal band-"DARK BLU"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/darkblu
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Blu View Post
    I'm ultimately leaving AT&T for another vendor who still has unlimited data because I'm not going to be forced onto a data capped plan when it's time for the next upgrade. That upgrade won't be happening at AT&T.
    My understanding is that they aren't forcing people off the unlimited data plans if you had it prior to the "change". Not to sway your decision one way or another, just saying...

Mals
    Quote Originally Posted by Malstorme View Post
    My understanding is that they aren't forcing people off the unlimited data plans if you had it prior to the "change". Not to sway your decision one way or another, just saying...

Mals
    If you presently have any unlimited data plan, you can change to any other unlimited data plan. If you don't presently have an unlimited data plan or are signing up as a new account, then you can't add an unlimited data plan. That's how the grandfathering is set up.

An acct with the Unlimited BB data plan should be able to switch to any other unlimited data plan when you change devices and don't have a BB anymore.. You can verify by checking your account on the website. if you have the BB unlimited data plan, you will see the options for the other unlimited data plans on your manage features page. If you don't have them available to change to, then you aren't grandfathered in.

I think the other two unlimited data plans are the Smartphone personal unlimited data plan without messaging for $30 a month, or the Smartphone personal unlimited data with unlimited messaging for $50 a month.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Does anyone here know if I can use an unlocked Pre (or even a locked one) with an AT&T SIM that doesn't have Data on it? Will they know it's a Pre and require data on the line?

Does anyone use a SIM with only voice on the AT&T network?

This is for a friend who has AT&T with a dumbphone and has no interest in data. WiFi is adequate for his needs. I understand there's no point in having this kind of a phone without data, etc...
    Where there's a will, there's a way. I was off-contract last May when the Pre Plus came out on AT&T, and the data plan was mandatory. So I called AT&T up and said I'd be happy to re-up all three lines for 2 more years ... provided I could get the phone without the data plan ... and provided I could unlock the phone 5 months later when I went to the UK. They agreed to both.

So I have the phone and no data plan (I use wifi @ home) ... but unlocked? Not a chance in the world. NEVER believe them if they tell you they'll unlock it. You'll spend hours working your way up their hierarchy, getting lied to every step of the way (they blame it on Palm, they make stuff up, they ignore facts), until the final answer is "no, we won't do it it is our policy not to".
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast