Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grankin View Post
    So I have the phone and no data plan (I use wifi @ home) ... :
    So can you send/receive media messages (pics and such)? Mine won't if I have the data plan off... Wondering if that's a glitch in mine, instead of a "feature".

Mals
    Quote Originally Posted by grankin View Post
    Where there's a will, there's a way. I was off-contract last May when the Pre Plus came out on AT&T, and the data plan was mandatory. So I called AT&T up and said I'd be happy to re-up all three lines for 2 more years ... provided I could get the phone without the data plan ... and provided I could unlock the phone 5 months later when I went to the UK. They agreed to both.

So I have the phone and no data plan (I use wifi @ home) ... but unlocked? Not a chance in the world. NEVER believe them if they tell you they'll unlock it. You'll spend hours working your way up their hierarchy, getting lied to every step of the way (they blame it on Palm, they make stuff up, they ignore facts), until the final answer is "no, we won't do it it is our policy not to".
    I think they are required by law to unlock it AFTER a certain period of time. I had my phones unlocked at at&t after a year. Iphone contract states it won't be unlocked (i believe) maybe they have started doing it for every phone.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    AT&T will unlock a Pre+ after 6months after purchase...
    I say this because my Pre+ was bought around July~... and i called up AT&T to see if they can unlock it... without any account information given to them.. They checked the IMEI and said that they will unlock it in January of 2011 because it was still within the 6month period free of charge.

I use my pre+ with a prepaid sim without the Data plan and it works fine with MMS and SMS messages... The phone aways connects to a WiFi network either at home.. and if anything i simply walk by one of the schools in the district and it connects with out no filter 24/7.... It helps when the school network shares the same SSD and WEP XP lol

I called them twice the first REP just said no they couldn't unlock it...
    The second said it was bought in July and after 6months that in January to call again and they will unlock it for me

With the Prepaid SIM the phone activated but then when it came to the Profiles Step it failed since it couldn't connect.. Full 3G but not actual data plan
  4.    #24  
    Thanks for all the info everyone. Looks like if you're using pre-paid it's not a problem. However, if you're on a contract they will look into it and force the data on to you. .

Sad times.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Thanks for all the info everyone. Looks like if you're using pre-paid it's not a problem. However, if you're on a contract they will look into it and force the data on to you. .

Sad times.
    They will, unless ... you are off-contract and you tell them you'll sign up ONLY if they waive the data plan. They did it for me. Startled the dau=ylights out of the local AT&T store.
    Quote Originally Posted by lvalen19 View Post
    AT&T will unlock a Pre+ after 6months after purchase...
    I say this because my Pre+ was bought around July~... and i called up AT&T to see if they can unlock it... without any account information given to them.. They checked the IMEI and said that they will unlock it in January of 2011 because it was still within the 6month period free of charge.
    {snip}
    Then you're luckier than I am. I worked my up to the top of AT&T's tech folks, then to the top of Palm corporate. See thread here: <http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre/251036-i-unlocked-att-palm-pre-t-mobile-free-4.html>.

I finally got so ticked-off that I wrote to AT&T and told them I was ready to eat the early termination fee and jump ship with all 3 lines to T-Mobile, and they responded with a falsehood:

>> After reviewing your email I can advise you that the decision to provide unlock codes rests with the manufacturer. Because you have a Palm P101UNA this decision rests with Palm.
    >>
    >> Mr. Rankin, I hope that the information provided has been helpful and has resolved all of your questions. Should you have additional concerns or questions about this issue please reply to this email. If you need to contact us again regarding a new issue please send us another email via the contact link through your online account. Thank you for allowing AT&T to serve as your wireless company for the last several years. Again my name is Peggy Heffley and we will do our best to ensure that your wireless experience is a success.
    >>

So I answered back:

> Sorry, but what you have told me is simply false. The decision - and
    > the power - to unlock a handset lies exclusively with the carrier.
    > On November 1, on my way to O'Hare, I spoke to Tony @ Palm's corporate
    > office after working my way up to Level 3 (Palm ticket #15189478794).
    > They kindly connected me in a conference call with Louis @ AT&T tech
    > support. The result? It is "against AT&T policy to release the
    > unlock code").
    >
    > Bear in mind the settlement AT&T has entered into in California (yes,
    > I know all 5 bullet points on eligibility for unlocking) and that the
    > relevant point is this: if it is not an iPhone, any exclusivity
    > agreement longer than 10 months requires that you provide a code.
    > Where there is NO termination date on an exclusivity agreement (which
    > agreement AT&T constantly refers to), then it is clearly longer than
    > 10 months and you are, consequently, obliged to provide an unlock
    > code.
    >
    > I practice law for a living. I am quite capable of contacting the
    > lawyers who got AT&T to agree to that settlement, and to advise them
    > that AT&T is stonewalling at every step. Thus far I have spent in
    > excess of FIVE hours on the phone with AT&T's techs to no avail.
    >
    > Now: answer my question: As AT&T continues to refuse to unlock my
    > phone (and makes up stories why it won't), perhaps you can give me a
    > reason why I should not simply eat the cancellation fee and switch to
    > T-Mobile?

And they went on to say, days later:

> I am sorry to hear you have not received your unlock code as requested.
    >
    > I have engaged my manager on your behalf and he has approved the unlock code for your Palm Pre device IMEI# 012145000237361. Please verify your IMEI# for the device by entering *#06# from your device and if I have the incorrect IMEI# please reply to this email with your IMEI#.

And several days after that:

>Your Case # CM20101130_14936199 for the subsidy unlock code is still >pending and the resolution date is 12/8/10 at 6PM EST. We have requested >the code from Palm and once we receive the code we will send you an email >and instructions on how to unlock the device.

So they continue to make things up as they go along. A shame they don't bother to tell their customer care staff the truth.
  7.    #27  
    Wow... that's pretty interesting. I've gotten into similar battles with AT&T, though not at this grandiose of a scale. I've had my runaround with AT&T pointing their fingers at Palm and vice versa. I don't have an account with them so I couldn't get much further, or give similar threats, but I kind of left it at that.

I'm currently looking into software that will let me do the unlock myself. I figure there's probably as much of a chance of figuring out how to do it yourself as there is to AT&T handing over the code.
    Well, there IS a silver lining to this particular cloud. I spent the money to get the phone unlocked by a 3d party, and it worked. Then I continued to speak firmly with AT&T. I threatened to simply eat the cancellation fees for all three lines in our contract and jump ship to T-Mobile. Within days they produced the unlock code they claimed they did not have.

Too little, too late, of course. As soon as this contract is completed, I am gone. T-Mobile's coverage is getting better every day where we live, and I have one of their PAYG SIM cards to test it every now & then.

As the kids say, suck it, AT&T!
    Quote Originally Posted by hmarcus View Post
    Is it possible to use the $30 dumb phone unlimited text/data prepaid SIM with a Palm Pre 2? I don't think they would have it in there systems, but I am thinking of picking a Pre 2 up and switching from Tmo. Only if I could use the cheaper, unlimited dumb phone plan however.
    Basically, would AT&T know that I'm using a Pre 2 and switch me to the appropriate and more expensive smartphone plan?
    I have an unlocked Pre2 and put it on AT&T they didn't recognize the phone so they put it on a $10 unlimited non smartphone data plan.
    Simple Tip Calc http://bit.ly/cdcJIu Review http://bit.ly/a9edpu & World Cup Flags http://bit.ly/daOoeJ
    Hahaha niiiice
    Att does imei sweeps.. So any smartphone will be recognized eventually and tack on $25 data plan.

All the info of a phone is in the imei.. Who makes it and what model.. 3G or 2G or 4G .. Your imei ping att everyone you make a call and certainly while you use data..

I've heard stories of unbranded devices bypassing this but most where 2G devices.. And those fall under their smartphone exclusion soc. code..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    The Treo Pro isn't recognized by their system.
    I was told the manufacturer is who supplies the carrier with the imei list.
    Otherwise, it's just an unidentified phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by hmarcus View Post
    Is it possible to use the $30 dumb phone unlimited text/data prepaid SIM with a Palm Pre 2? I don't think they would have it in there systems, but I am thinking of picking a Pre 2 up and switching from Tmo. Only if I could use the cheaper, unlimited dumb phone plan however.
    Basically, would AT&T know that I'm using a Pre 2 and switch me to the appropriate and more expensive smartphone plan?
    There are no smartphone prepaid plans that I know of.

Yes, if you're on a post-paid monthly billed account, they can tell its a Pre 2 from its IMEI . Within a month or two you'll be bumped to a 2 GB tiered data plan billed at $25 per month.

If it's a prepaid SIM (purchased alone or with any prepaid go-phone) with one of the data feature packages added to your prepaid account you'll have no problems. I use a prepaid go-phone SIM with a data feature package add-on in one of my unlocked Pre 2's and another prepaid go phone SIM with the data feature added in a Huawei data/voice card I purchased from the UK with Huawei Mobile Partner software including VOICE calling running on my HP Slate 500 and there's no problems or issues. Expensive as heck to use data. Fine by me, I don't stream video on these devices unless I'm on a Wi-Fi connection so I pay just for the convenience of data for browsing and email. I save all the 3G multimedia streaming and downloading fun for my other Unlocked Pre 2 with a grandfathered unlimited post-paid monthly billed data plan.

The reason for no complaints or issues from them is due to the prices charged for the prepaid data feature add-on. 100 MB is $19.99 then if you run out without adding another data feature (1 MB or 100 MB) Each KB nails your go phone account until you run it dry and when that happens you cannot get an IP address until you add more money to your prepaid acct (and if you're smart you'll reup your data feature using the funds you just added).

Money is the key word here. At these prices they would be crazy to stop you from using your prepaid SIM in whatever device you want to.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 03/17/2011 at 02:34 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and dont necessarily represent AT&Ts positions, strategies or opinions.
    [QUOTE=TopTongueBarry;2911910]There are no smartphone prepaid plans that I know of.

Straight talk. $45.00/month. Unlimited voice, text,data,411 etc.
    AT&T MVNO
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Att does imei sweeps.. So any smartphone will be recognized eventually and tack on $25 data plan.

All the info of a phone is in the imei.. Who makes it and what model.. 3G or 2G or 4G .. Your imei ping att everyone you make a call and certainly while you use data..

I've heard stories of unbranded devices bypassing this but most where 2G devices.. And those fall under their smartphone exclusion soc. code..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Let's just hope that doesn't happen. Like I said I even told the guy the phone.
    Simple Tip Calc http://bit.ly/cdcJIu Review http://bit.ly/a9edpu & World Cup Flags http://bit.ly/daOoeJ
    [QUOTE=Different Drummer;2912103]
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post

AT&T MVNO
    You got me there. That's a great plan!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and dont necessarily represent AT&Ts positions, strategies or opinions.
    [QUOTE=Different Drummer;2912103]
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post

AT&T MVNO
    Where is this plan? I have never seen this.
    [QUOTE=tsaunders;2912148]
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post

Where is this plan? I have never seen this.
    Yes, Yes, Yes!
    Where, Where, Where?!
    I Want It!
    Straight Talk is a Tracfone Co. Straight Talk is sold only at Walmart.
    You must buy their phone. Apparently there is only one phone that will allow you to swap it's SIM card to another smart phone. That is the Nokia E-71. Check the Howard forums for further Info. Also there is at least one thread here that mentions it. A Search for Straight Talk will find it.
    I bought the Nokia E-71 and it really is not a bad phone. I am hoping to get a Palm 3 GSM unlocked. ( If available ) and use it on straight Talk in Place of the E-71. There are some file changes that need to be done and as I am a complete neophyte I am hoping some of the experts here can lead me through it. There are other important details so read up on it if you want to use a Palm device in place of the E-71. For instance you cannot sell the E-71 to recoup some money ). Too much for me to explain here but the information is out there. A lot of people are using I-Phones on Straight Talk and getting the all inclusive $45.00 deal.

EDIT:
    I just did a search. Phone must be an AT&T phone OR an unlocked GSM with the AT&T frequencies. ( How am I doing, TopTongueBArry? ) Then you must reconfigure the APN.
    I don't have a clue what
    that is but seems like it is not too difficult.
    Remember folks, not all of us are Tech wizards of Geeks.
    Why I will need help!

Remember this will only work with a SIM from the E-71 and you must be willing to sacrifice the price of the E-71 in order to use the HPalm phone. If you sell it ( or return it minus the SIM as others have tried ), when it is scanned back into the system your SIM will not work. I point this out because it is a VERY important point to consider if you intend to go this route.
    You must KEEP the NOKIA E-71. You can use it as a WiFi device without the SIM card. I have not activated mine yet and have been getting a lot of use out of it over WiFi. As I said before it is not too bad a phone. But, admittedly it is the first smart phone I have ever owned. So to me it's great! I really want to get a Pre3 though.
    Last edited by Different Drummer; 03/17/2011 at 04:36 PM.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast