Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Today started out normal; I got up and my Palm Pre + was charged at 100%; I took it to work and left it charging in the car. When I left work at 4:00 PM; I noticed that my battery was at 74%. Then the nightmare started. No matter what I do, the battery kept getting lower and lower. I took it to a Verizon Store and the guy said something about me overcharging the battery (??)
    He then came back later on and said that the phone was showing offline and had an April 01, 2010 date on it. He tried to reset it; but it was no used. He ordered a certified like new replacement (It won't get here until Tuesday, 11/23/2010). I got home, I booted it up and got the following:
    "Phone Error Your phone is experiencing an error that cannot be resolved. Visit palm.com/support/ for help." Well, I went there and downloaded the latest webosinstall, and tried to do exactly what the instructions said. But it came up with the same phone error. Is there anything else I can do? I'd hate to wait all the way until Tuesday for a replacement to come in.
    I assume what you're talking about using was webos doctor. If that didn't work then you just have to wait it out until tuesday. Sorry.
  3.    #3  
    I do have one question; downloading and running Webosinstall; will that run the WebOS Doctor? I just follow the instructions which included removing the battery, pressing the up volume after connecting the USB cable, then right after inserting the battery, which the USB Drive symbol shows then letting go of the volume up button, and then letting the webos ROM install.
    Quote Originally Posted by artwest50 View Post
    I do have one question; downloading and running Webosinstall; will that run the WebOS Doctor? I just follow the instructions which included removing the battery, pressing the up volume after connecting the USB cable, then right after inserting the battery, which the USB Drive symbol shows then letting go of the volume up button, and then letting the webos ROM install.
    You can donload webos doctor by itself. Webos quickinstall would require you to download webos doctor for it to function properly.
    But, WebOS Doctor is a separate program that doesn't run through QI, it has to be run by itself. Follow the same instructions to get your phone into recovery mode, then run WebOS Doctor and follow the instructions for when to hook your phone to the PC and etc.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    If you downloaded something from the PALM website, it is the webOS Doctor.

Running that will reinstall webOS to factory conditions. To put it in recovery mode, you can do the above steps. Then run the webOS Doctor.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    But, WebOS Doctor is a separate program that doesn't run through QI, it has to be run by itself. Follow the same instructions to get your phone into recovery mode, then run WebOS Doctor and follow the instructions for when to hook your phone to the PC and etc.
    I tried under recovery mode and at first I thought it was okay; however, my Palm Pre Plus screen came back with that Phone error and nothing else.
    Holy crap bro.. I've never heard of such an error. Honestly, if the webOS Doctor isn't fixing the issue then yes, this phone is broken. Sadly, you may have to wait until Tuesday. Sorry about the issue you're having...You're the first one I've ever seen that's bricked a Pre like that. :P
    We may have the winner here of the first to ever "truly" brick their Pre. Ok, actually you didn't brick it. Sounds more like one of the components had a brain-fart and messed itself up. I really doubt that you "overcharged" your device since the device has a limiter that stops charging when the battery is full. If running the Doctor from the Palm site didn't work, at least you have a replacement coming.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/19/2010 at 11:14 PM.
  10.    #10  
    That's true, it least I'll have that to look forward, too. It would be nice if they would send a new one; however, I believe it's going to be a refurb. Of course, I can still dream that the new Pre 2 had just come in and they are using those to replace the broken returns
    Could be worse... they could send you a Hero!
    Yeah, you can't overcharge these batteries.

There have been posts about this error, before, but this is the first time I've heard of the Doctor not working.

Of course, I'm stubborn as hell and would be trying it 50 more times. LOL
    It's how I recovered mine from a boot loop, just doctored and doctored, until it finally worked.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Yeah, you can't overcharge these batteries.

There have been posts about this error, before, but this is the first time I've heard of the Doctor not working.

Of course, I'm stubborn as hell and would be trying it 50 more times. LOL
    Well then, I still got 47 more times to go and I couldn't believe about the overcharging the battery either; especially being in a Verizon store where they have all their phones charging all day long I'm glad I removed UberKernel and Govnah before taking the phone in!
    If they were dense enough to say you overcharged, I can just imagine how they'd have reacted to those being on your phone.

They may have called for a straightjacket to have you put away!

Well then, I still got 47 more times to go and I couldn't believe about the overcharging the battery either; especially being in a Verizon store where they have all their phones charging all day long I'm glad I removed UberKernel and Govnah before taking the phone in!
    As a last resort, you could try this. And no, I can't explain it. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    First put the device into recovery mode, then memboot the device using the installer uImage (extracted from your webOS Doctor jar and copied into the SDK bin folder):

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Palm\SDK\bin
    novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-castle.uImage

After it boots, run novaterm:

novaterm

Once connected to the device, type:

lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure

then type:

mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media

Once that completes, put the device back into recovery mode and run the webOS Doctor.

-- Rod
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    As a last resort, you could try this. And no, I can't explain it. Lol
    You can't explain it; heck, I can't understand it! I don't even know how to do the extracting and stuff that you got from Rod. Still if there's a chance I will see what I can do to get this Pre + up and running before Tuesday.
  18.    #18  
    Hey GuyFromNam, I read what you sent me (but not all of it!); sure wish I had known about possibly turning on then off the airplane setting. Once I got it to the store, and the tech started doing the resetting; well, by then it was too late! But thanks for your advise. I believe that we (Verizon and me) went too quickly into trying to doing the hard reset before giving ourselves the chance to really fix the problem through simpler solutions. Would that of helped; it's possible. I'm really learning about the dark underbelly of the Palm Pre plus right now! I'm still trying to simplify the advise you folks have given right now.
    You can't explain it; heck, I can't understand it! I don't even know how to do the extracting and stuff that you got from Rod. Still if there's a chance I will see what I can do to get this Pre + up and running before Tuesday.
    I couldn't help but to burst out laughing... Your response was (Funny).
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    I couldn't help but to burst out laughing... Your response was (Funny).
    Well, this too will pass. I am the eternal optimist, and I am looking forward to some resolution come Tuesday!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast