Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    My Palm Pre + on Verizon had randomly restarted once or twice over the past week. Everything seemed to work fine after each restart. The other day, the screen "fizzled" (I had just launched DrPodder and placed it on the touchstone in my car) and it began to restart. But it took a very long time to start again (more than 20 mins). But when complete, every application that did not come pre-installed with the Pre was gone. However, all my email, wifi, & other settings for the core of webOS seemed intact. Additionally, every patch that I had installed through preWare seems to still be available, including all my additional menu pages (created with Adv Config for App Launcher, which are now mostly empty). When I look at the USB drive of my Pre, everything appears to still be there, including the backup files of Backup/Restore.

When I hook up my Pre to my PC, QuickInstall sees my Pre, but doesn't see any apps or patches. So I tried to reinstall Preware, since it doesn't show in my app menus, but QuickInstall gave me an error.

I don't want to start installing programs for fear I will overwrite data needed to restore what I had. Will using the webOS dr, erase what is left? Or will it help me "find" all the old apps and their settings/data? I would like to get my Pre+ back as close to normal as possible, before I have to start reinstalling applications.

What are the right steps I should take to fix this?
    Time to visit the doctor. Just run the webOS doctor and it will install a fresh copy of webOS onto the device (without touching the USB partition).
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    My device has also auto-restarted twice in the last 24 hours, I am heading to the doctor soon also I am afraid. I wish there was a utility that would let you see logs of just before the auto-restart to see maybe what the issue is.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    My device has also auto-restarted twice in the last 24 hours, I am heading to the doctor soon also I am afraid. I wish there was a utility that would let you see logs of just before the auto-restart to see maybe what the issue is.
    In your case it sounds like the battery may be loose, tightened it up with a little piece of paper or tape in the top of the battery compartment.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by JerakisM View Post
    My Palm Pre + on Verizon had randomly restarted once or twice over the past week. Everything seemed to work fine after each restart. The other day, the screen "fizzled" (I had just launched DrPodder and placed it on the touchstone in my car) and it began to restart. But it took a very long time to start again (more than 20 mins). But when complete, every application that did not come pre-installed with the Pre was gone. However, all my email, wifi, & other settings for the core of webOS seemed intact. Additionally, every patch that I had installed through preWare seems to still be available, including all my additional menu pages (created with Adv Config for App Launcher, which are now mostly empty). When I look at the USB drive of my Pre, everything appears to still be there, including the backup files of Backup/Restore.

When I hook up my Pre to my PC, QuickInstall sees my Pre, but doesn't see any apps or patches. So I tried to reinstall Preware, since it doesn't show in my app menus, but QuickInstall gave me an error.

I don't want to start installing programs for fear I will overwrite data needed to restore what I had. Will using the webOS dr, erase what is left? Or will it help me "find" all the old apps and their settings/data? I would like to get my Pre+ back as close to normal as possible, before I have to start reinstalling applications.

What are the right steps I should take to fix this?
    The first step I would take is to go to Reset Options in the Device Info app and do a Partial Reset which is now (Reset Apps & Data). After logging into your profile again, your apps should be back.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    The first step I would take is to go to Reset Options in the Device Info app and do a Partial Reset which is now (Reset Apps & Data). After logging into your profile again, your apps should be back.
    My phone never recovered from this. After doing this and waiting 2 hours... nothing. Figured I had to use the WebOS doctor. Followed the directions on the palm site and start that process. The version looks like it lined up and everything seemed to start ok. When it starts the process, it is showing the big USB graphic, but a couple % points complete later it changes to just the "PALM". But then the whole process just hangs when it hits 8%.

Is my palm now officially bricked? Or is there a way out of this dilemma?