1.    #1  
    Hey guys!

Forgive my over jazzed-ness but I just ordered me my first Palm Pre. Now i've had a Web OS device before (the Pixi) love the OS HATED the screen size. So I ended it up getting a 3G for super cheap and It had the screen size I wanted. Well long story short lost my job and the first thing to go was my Cell phone. So i've been with out one for 3 months (which seems like FOREVER to me) So I was able to get my Pre for FREE brand new from HP wireless. So I just thought I would ask what are a few things I have to look forward to that I couldn't on my PIXI.

Thank so much!
    Overclocking to 1Ghz
    Some of the new 3D games that have been released.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by MathewPre View Post
    Hey guys!

So I just thought I would ask what are a few things I have to look forward to that I couldn't on my PIXI.

Thank so much!
    90% of the app catalog.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMan View Post
    90% of the app catalog.
    Really? I didn't know that App were withheld from the Pixi. Thats great! That was one of my other peeves is that it seemed a bit small.

Quote Originally Posted by ProParkour View Post
    Overclocking to 1Ghz
    Wow, so essentially it will be the same speed as the Pre 2? How does one achieve this?
    A bigger screen for one... and as mention above overclock to 1ghz, plus a phone that feels a lot better in the hands.(IMO)

Welcome to the world of the pres. Note: Dont get me wrong the pixi is a good phone ~ I just prefer a bigger screen.
    Keep in mind that a 1GHz Pre is not even close to a Pre2.

The reason:

The Pre is designed for a 600MHz processor. It runs stock at 500MHz. It can run at 1GHz, but it isn't as efficient as it could be.

The Pre2 processor is designed to run at 1GHz. It runs stock at 1GHz when you are using it and at 300MHz when you aren't. This means it is:

1) battery efficient for its dynamic scaling
    2) battery efficient because it is a newer chip designed for battery efficiency (TI says 50% of the battery usage the Pre processor uses)
    3) runs efficiently because it is designed to run at 1GHz

Also, the Pre2 has faster RAM which makes it run much faster overall.

If you look at the developer day event from today when Ben Combee was up there, look at him launching PDK apps on his Pre2. It is literally a half second from tap to open for some. Less time for others (like Pixi Dust).

-----------------------------------

Regarding your actual question:

The Pre has more apps for two reasons:

1) The Pre has had apps since its inception. Some developers abandoned their work before the Pixi came along and as such, their apps will never support the Pixi (or any future devices)
    2) Some developers haven't tested their PDK apps on an actual Pixi and don't want to release an untested product -- this is a good plan by the developer, though they could enlist the help of homebrew people
    3) Some developers have 3D games that are too intensive for the Pixi
    4) Some developers have 2D games that won't run on the Pixi without a workaround until webOS 2.0 comes out for it
    5) Some developers just haven't tested their apps on the Pixi so they aren't sure if it will look fine -- I haven't, but I tested it in the Pixi emulator and I am getting a free Pixi Plus from Palm so I can test this out better (I'm an indie developer and can't afford the cost of a device used solely for development; you gotta love Palm)
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  8.    #8  
    Wow, thanks so much. Keep it coming.

Just got my shipping info. It won't be here till tuesday
    You can install Govnah and UberKernel, from Preware, for the 1GHz speed.
    Im on a sprint pre (two of them one launch day) and for the last 2 months Ive been running sr7 1.2ghz kernel with no hiccups, freezes, or reboot loops. Keepin the freq at 800min, and 1.2ghz max. Funny though I dont know the differences between 1ghz pre 2 and a 1.2ghz sprint pre, but the 1.2ghz pre is a bit faster then a 1ghz pre. Just a FYI if you wanted to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Im on a sprint pre (two of them one launch day) and for the last 2 months Ive been running sr7 1.2ghz kernel with no hiccups, freezes, or reboot loops. Keepin the freq at 800min, and 1.2ghz max. Funny though I dont know the differences between 1ghz pre 2 and a 1.2ghz sprint pre, but the 1.2ghz pre is a bit faster then a 1ghz pre. Just a FYI if you wanted to try.
    You should also mention that 1.2GHz on the Pre is in alpha testing and most phones cannot handle this speed.

On another note, of course it would be a bit faster, you are running 200MHz faster.
  12.    #12  
    This sound great. WebOS HomeBrew FTW. Does anyone have and video reviews they think hits the nail on the head of the Launch Pre?