1.    #1  
    Hey Everyone,

I am considering purchasing an unlocked Pre 2 before my Sprint contract expires. The cheapest prepaid ATT plan is $70/month and I'm not sure if I want to go that route. I know many of you will say 'just wait' but that goes against my impulsive nature! I am almost always in range of WiFi and will keep my original pre for when I'm not, but want to know what apps work over WiFi that will help minimize my dependence on my original Pre.

Thanks!
    I was wondering the same thing. I prbably won't take the dive, but it crossed my mind t only use voogle for calls, with a virgin moble wireless hotspot. I don't think I want to loose access to apps tho, especially the onces I've all ready paid for. Why do you loose those anyway? Seems really stupid of palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chompy View Post
    I believe Voogle requires a phone connection for calls.
    thanks, havnt kept up on it. But shame on voogle for defeating the purpose!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chompy View Post
    I'm sure it will be possible soon though. The Dev said something about not having access to the mic api...
    Correct (have to be a bit careful about the NDA), no real-time mic access yet. Recording to a file is available. Don't know whether that file could be a Linux fifo, which would allow simulateous read/write.

Verizon will have Skype, so there must be a way to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I am considering purchasing an unlocked Pre 2 before my Sprint contract expires. The cheapest prepaid ATT plan is $70/month and I'm not sure if I want to go that route. I know many of you will say 'just wait' but that goes against my impulsive nature! I am almost always in range of WiFi and will keep my original pre for when I'm not, but want to know what apps work over WiFi that will help minimize my dependence on my original Pre.

Thanks!
    Depending on your area you could look at prepaid T-mobile as well. You'd probably only be able to get EDGE level service but it would likely cost less then ATT.

I don't really know why you'd be looking at doing something like this. If you're going to do a two device WiFi-dependent setup I'd think it would be more advantageous to use different devices such as an iTouch or Archos 32/43 as your WiFi dependent device. Unless you're just stop-gapping until your contract ends to move to an ATT service contract?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Depending on your area you could look at prepaid T-mobile as well. You'd probably only be able to get EDGE level service but it would likely cost less then ATT.

I don't really know why you'd be looking at doing something like this. If you're going to do a two device WiFi-dependent setup I'd think it would be more advantageous to use different devices such as an iTouch or Archos 32/43 as your WiFi dependent device. Unless you're just stop-gapping until your contract ends to move to an ATT service contract?
    Thanks for reminding me of the Edge T-Mobile option. You are completely correct that I shouldn't be looking into doing something like this. I guess I want the opportunity to mess around with the Pre 2 and have no desire of switching to Verizon. I'd probably mess around with it until something is announced in the winter and then either sell it (if something for Sprint is announced) or take it to AT&T if it's my only webOS option.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    Correct (have to be a bit careful about the NDA), no real-time mic access yet. Recording to a file is available. Don't know whether that file could be a Linux fifo, which would allow simulateous read/write.

Verizon will have Skype, so there must be a way to do it.

that's good news, thanks
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks!
    You could test out a comm board swap for everyone and if all goes well have a pre2 on sprint
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    You could test out a comm board swap for everyone and if all goes well have a pre2 on sprint
    If anyone in the Bay Area thinks they can successfully do this I'd allow it!