Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi fellow UK WebOS users (all three of you),

Hopefully this hasn't been posted before, but I wanted to start a thread for UK WebOS users, specifically in regards to the UK app catalogue. Hopefully this will help new and existing users alike.

Below is a list of applications that work especially well for the UK Palm Pre; those apps that are either available to UK users (but not available elsewhere), or that replace apps that are not available for UK users.

Spotify - The most recent addition for UK (and some european users). Wirelessly sync your music from your computer to your phone, and download music that you don't own and store it on your device.

Navit - The best SatNav application that we've got. This is improving all the time and currently works really well. I use it for long distance journeys along with Spotify and it works great. The music dips when the SatNav speaks, and returns once it is finished.

MoBank - Despite a few technical issues, and a few minor freezes, this app allows me to check my bank balance and mini statements by only entering a 4 digit pin number (not my banking pin number). Mobile banking made easy with some cool features that will (maybe) be implemented in the future.

Lost.fm - Recommended by Cyril
    A good alternative or Companion to Spotify

UK Radio - Recommended by 5 sisters
    For your Chris Moyles fix

DrPodder - Recommended by hagster
    Works well for all the Radio 4 podcasts (especially Friday night comedy)

O2 Priority - Recommended by hagster
    Good for Gigs

FreeTether - Recommended by 5 Sisters (sort of)
    For sharing your phone's internet connection

TVCatchup Mobile (http://m.tvcatchup.com:1500/) - Recommended by PreGP
    Not an app, but a must-have TV streaming service

AuctionMate Pro - Recommended by nuts
    A must-have for Ebayers

M.E.N. Media - Recommended by KarlD89
    Good for keeping up to date with your football news

Beeb News - Recommended by KarlD89
    Read news from the BBC website

If anyone has any others that they are using, please feel free to add below.

Best Regards,

Casion
    Last edited by Casion; 02/03/2011 at 07:57 AM.
    Lost.fm is a good alternative or companion to spotify.

I also use one of several Tube status apps.
    Last edited by stung; 12/05/2010 at 03:38 AM. Reason: for fun
    UK radio,for my chris moyles fix.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Cheeky little bugger, lol
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 sisters View Post
    UK radio,for my chris moyles fix.
    I always wished my Pre had an actual radio, rather than internet radio, but I think that I might have to download this app. Since getting Spotify in my car I have deserted Chris Moyles. I hope he doesn't mind.
    Surely there's more than 3 of us?!
    I don't really use any UK only apps, I'll have to check some of these other ones out! I looked at Spotify, but I don't think I'd use it enough to justify the monthly spend!
    I'll second that "UK radio" is pretty good.

Also DrPodder works really well for all the Radio 4 podcasts especially the Friday Night Comedy. Just copy the RSS feed into DrPodder and your away.

Has anyone got a really good London Underground app. I've tried "London Tube Service Free", but it's limited to showing line disruption. What I really would like is something with a map and that also planned routes between stations.

There is also a good "O2 Priority" app that list gigs etc.
    It's not a UK only app,but! Freether is my new must have app.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Not a UK app as such but a great website to bookmark if you are in the UK with a Pre:

TVCatchup Mobile

Allows you to watch live TV on your Pre/Pre2 on 3G or WiFi
    AuctionMate Pro - a must have for ebayers!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    I'll second that "UK radio" is pretty good.

Also DrPodder works really well for all the Radio 4 podcasts especially the Friday Night Comedy. Just copy the RSS feed into DrPodder and your away.

Has anyone got a really good London Underground app. I've tried "London Tube Service Free", but it's limited to showing line disruption. What I really would like is something with a map and that also planned routes between stations.

There is also a good "O2 Priority" app that list gigs etc.
    I'm in Milton Keynes, so I don't really have much use for an underground map. However, I did download one for a day trip once, and it was so bad that I didn't use it.

I'll have to check out the O2 Priority app. Sounds interesting.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    I don't really use any UK only apps, I'll have to check some of these other ones out! I looked at Spotify, but I don't think I'd use it enough to justify the monthly spend!
    I think we should have a Palm house party! There will even be enough room for everyone to crash over, lol.
    Seriously though, I'm amazed at how badly the Pre did in the UK. I had to travel to the US to find another user, and then I found two in one bar, one of which was part of the Palm promotions team... or was.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGP View Post
    Not a UK app as such but a great website to bookmark if you are in the UK with a Pre:

TVCatchup Mobile

Allows you to watch live TV on your Pre/Pre2 on 3G or WiFi
    Now this is interesting. I didn't think there was a service like this for the Pre due to lack of Flash support. I'm still annoyed that I can't watch BBC IPlayer from my Pre, even though IPhone users can without Flash.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 sisters View Post
    It's not a UK only app,but! Freether is my new must have app.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I can't find Freether. Did you mean FreeTether. I meant to check this out at some point, but haven't found a use for it. Can you please briefly explain what it does and also whether you have had any problems with O2?
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    I can't find Freether. Did you mean FreeTether. I meant to check this out at some point, but haven't found a use for it. Can you please briefly explain what it does and also whether you have had any problems with O2?
    I use FreeTether quite regularly, and have never had a problem with O2.

Another couple of apps I love M.E.N. Media, which i use to keep up to date with plenty of Manchester united news while i'm on the move. and also, Beeb News, which allows you to read the news from many different sections of the BBC website
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlD89 View Post
    I use FreeTether quite regularly, and have never had a problem with O2.

Another couple of apps I love M.E.N. Media, which i use to keep up to date with plenty of Manchester united news while i'm on the move. and also, Beeb News, which allows you to read the news from many different sections of the BBC website
    I don't think that O2 has the technology to monitor bandwidth tbh. Unless you got your contract recently, you should be on the unlimited data plan the same as me. However, tethering is technically banned. Still, I've never had a use for it.

I use NewsRoom to keep up with news on the BBC website, so I don't think I have a use for the Beeb app, but it's still nice to know it's there. I'm not really a football fan, so the other App isn't of much value to me. Again, it's still nice to know about.
    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    Make that 4. I have an overclocked Pixi+.
    Yeh, the Pixi seemed to do better than the Pre in the UK. I've seen several people with the Pixi... I don't know anyone that has a Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    I don't think that O2 has the technology to monitor bandwidth tbh. Unless you got your contract recently, you should be on the unlimited data plan the same as me. However, tethering is technically banned. Still, I've never had a use for it.
    Depends on what you mean by monitor your bandwidth. They can certainly (and do) monitor how much bandwidth you use and while the old data plan was unlimited don't forget the 'fair usage' clause, which I believe is ~500mb after which they may slow down your connection. As for monitoring to determine if you're tethering I don't know if they can do that by port usage or some other method, I'd guess if they can then they probably don't bother until they think somebody is abusing the network by doing so.

I've yet to see anybody else with a Pre or Pixi, really disappointing but hopefully new hardware will change all that.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast