Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. thesmj's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
       #1  
    For the past month I have noticed my keyboard light does not turn on every time the keyboard is opened. I say "every time", because sometimes it seems to work just fine.

    I have the screen brightness set above 10%, the battery's charge status doesn't seem to have any effect on the issue (even when nearly 100% charged), and SOMETIMES rebooting the phone seems to fix the issue for a while (but it could just be my imagination).

    I tried installing a patch to force the keyboard light to 50% which had no effect. I even tried doctoring the Pre, and the light is just as temperamental as ever.

    Is there a micro switch on the back of the screen that detects when the phone is slid open that may need to be cleaned?
  2. #2  
    Mine is doing the same thing lately.
  3. #3  
    There are patches in preware that allow you to keep the backlight on at 100&, 50%, etc, at all times. There is also a patch which sets the backlight brighter as the screen gets dimmer (the way it should be). Those will help you.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

    Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  4. thesmj's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    There are patches in preware that allow you to keep the backlight on at 100&, 50%, etc, at all times. There is also a patch which sets the backlight brighter as the screen gets dimmer (the way it should be). Those will help you.
    As I said in the OP, I already tried one of these patches and they have no effect.

    I'll try completely powering off the Pre again. I don't have any software installed that has any effect on the display or keyboard lights (other than the aforementioned patch I just tried), but if nobody has any other ideas I could always try doctoring again.

    Where is the switch that detects if the slider is open?

    EDIT: Ok, power cycled the phone like Guy recommended and the keyboard is currently working again. We'll see how long that lasts.
    Last edited by TheSmJ; 11/18/2010 at 10:39 AM.
  5. thesmj's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
       #5  
    Alright, the keyboard light stopped working again.
  6. thesmj's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
       #6  
    Interesting development with this issue that I noticed today: I removed my Pre from the touchstone, and about 10 minutes later noticed the keyboard light was working again! It remained working until the battery level went below 90%, and now the keyboard remains off.

    Now the question is: Why is my keyboard light turning off at such a high battery charge threshold?

    I'm charging the phone back up to 100% before checking if the keyboard is working again. If so, that might mean something is going on with the way the phone (or the superkernel) is reading the battery level and trying to limit power draw.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSmJ View Post
    Interesting development with this issue that I noticed today: I removed my Pre from the touchstone, and about 10 minutes later noticed the keyboard light was working again! It remained working until the battery level went below 90%, and now the keyboard remains off.

    Now the question is: Why is my keyboard light turning off at such a high battery charge threshold?

    I'm charging the phone back up to 100% before checking if the keyboard is working again. If so, that might mean something is going on with the way the phone (or the superkernel) is reading the battery level and trying to limit power draw.
    Superkernel? Are you thinking of Uberkernel or Superprekernel?

    Either way the kernel doesn't regulate power use. Whatever service that is governing the kernel does that.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  8. thesmj's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
       #8  
    Uberkernel.

    Anyways, after charging the phone to 100% and checking the keyboard, it's still not lighting up when the phone is open. ****.
  9. #9  
    I had this issue but it seemed related to having the screen brightness too low. When I upped the brightness, the keyboard light started to work as intended.
  10. azumak's Avatar
    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    #10  
    Well, I can't really think of any solutions that haven't been mentioned already, but my GF's Sprint Pixi keyboard lights have been wonky lately. One of the lights (leftmost) is off sometimes, but will flicker on/off or stay on during typing (esp the bottom leftmost keys). It's close to a year old, my older Sprint Pre has nothing like that though.
  11. #11  
    I have noticed this mainly when I open the slider while the pre is on a touchstone [mostly in a car at night]. I'm not sure if it is a bug or feature or if some patch has effected it, but I did discover a simple workaround.

    When you open the slider and the keyboard light does not come on, swipe down on the upper right corner of the screen - where the battery icon is [Is that what we call the system menu? I can never remember which menu is called what.] When the menu comes up the keyboard light comes on. Then swipe the menu away and the light remains.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rixpre2010 View Post
    When you open the slider and the keyboard light does not come on, swipe down on the upper right corner of the screen - where the battery icon is [Is that what we call the system menu? I can never remember which menu is called what.] When the menu comes up the keyboard light comes on. Then swipe the menu away and the light remains.
    My pre have the opposite reaction when sliding open the keyboard, that is, the keyboard backlight is quite bright, and when I swipe down the upper right corner, the keyboard backlight become to normal for the patch Speeds provide on this forum somewhere.

    I don't like it this way, it's too bright for me when the keyboard slide down, cannot find any solution till now. Yes, I had installed keyboard backlight patches, such as inverted k backlight, and fixed to 50 or 25, and after I delete them, it happened like above I described.

Posting Permissions