Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Results 121 to 130 of 130
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    ...I'm selfish and I don't want my webOS to go away.
    LOL... that part I totally agree with! (the rest not so much) Heheh
    I certainly don't want webOS to go away... and I truly do believe that after today's interview, the one thing Ruby did was (unwittingly) confirm some of the rumors floating around about HP getting multiple webOS phones ready for market. I think we as webOS supporters will be fine. My only true worry is my phone's crack spreading and not being able to get another Pre as replacement. Come on HP... bring on new hardware!
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    LOL... that part I totally agree with! (the rest not so much) Heheh
    I certainly don't want webOS to go away... and I truly do believe that after today's interview, the one thing Ruby did was (unwittingly) confirm some of the rumors floating around about HP getting multiple webOS phones ready for market. I think we as webOS supporters will be fine. My only true worry is my phone's crack spreading and not being able to get another Pre as replacement. Come on HP... bring on new hardware!
    If that happens, I've got a mint Pre Plus for ya.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

    Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  3. #123  
    That interview was the biggest waste of time since the last State of the Union...
  4. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post

    I think you misunderstand who THE target demographic is for HP Palm. Their target demographic is business and where business product sales, use and familiarity collide with consumer use is where the growth potential is in the industry. You don’t get market segment growth from existing users, that is just swappin’ spit back and forth. HP isn’t interested in swappin’ spit with Apple or Android in the smartphone business, they want to get their existing customer base on board with their new cloud based productivity package that includes smartphones. Then where that bleeds off into consumer use is just icing on the cake.

    Thank you sir.
    Then why was he just talking about Windows being for Business and WebOS being for consumers? Why would enterprise customers pick a WebOS table when HP has a separate group developing windows Tablets specifically for them?

    What do you mean by "new cloud based productivity package"? What package is that?
  5. #125  
    I think today would have been a great opportunity for a little gamesmanship. Not a device announcement, but similar to what RIM and Google did. Schmidt had a hotly anticipated phone that clearly wasn't finalized but still pulled it out to get some positive PRPRPR, $even$ $though$ $he$ $didn$'$t$ $say$ $much$ $about$ $it$. $RIM$ $afterwards$ $let$ $Engadget$ $see$ $the$ $PlayBook$ $for$ $a$ $couple$ $of$ $seconds$.

    The fact that there was none of this leads me to believe that either Palm has misread their audience (ie everyone is completely satisfied with what we have) or they are not even in the advanced prototype stage where he can show a non powered on unit, as opposed to just talking.
  6. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I envision a hp printer app for ios, android and w7 and hp making a killing off printers... They can't compete with apple or android in the phone business, so the next best thing is to try and make money off their millions of customers. Every grandparent in the country will own a printer so family members can send them pictures of their snotnoses..
    The irony is HP already has iPrint apps for the iPhone and Android.

    Notice what's missing from that list...
  7. #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What do you mean by "new cloud based productivity package"? What package is that?
    WebOS is built on web architecture, a number of the acquisitions HP has made since the Palm acquisition have been cloud based services (music, video, etc), they clearly are interested in incorporating WebOS into their printing technologies, they are clearly interested in a WebOS tablet and WebOS smartphones (even though we haven't seen them yet), they have a significant presence in the enterprise networking segment, plus PC's. All of that adds up to a company being able to have a "cloud based productivity package" that communicates seamlessly for video conferencing, document sharing and printing, presentation, minor on the fly editing capability that all securely communicates through their equipment flawlessly.

    That is just a corporate part of it I suppose as there is the consumer side as well with music subcription services, personal video calling, 3-d gaming, synergy and all the other great things we know WebOS is good at. Not to mention the implementation of the API's that have not been released or enabled yet for voice command and many other features we have lacked.

    Clearly they can't be rid of Windows for production on PC's and tablets. The types of software packages needed to run a major corporation really aren't conducive to touch screen devices.

    They will be marketing WebOS smartphones to consumers, but they made very clear that they didn't buy Palm to get into the Smartphone business. My biggest point is they don't have to get into any hurry to be a player in the smartphone world. If they build quality phones, tablets and other consumer devices and make sure WebOS is all that it should be when they roll it out on those devices, they won't have any problem gaining market share rapidly. They have staying power and can take as long as they need.

    The only people that are predicting doom and gloom are those who already love WebOS and want a new device RIGHT NOW! When we know that is such a small percentage of the market that we could all leave and it wouldn't hurt them ultimately in the Big Picture.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  8. #128  
    hp needs to move fast. once a consumer familiarizes themselves with a particular OS and makes a significant financial commitment (via purchase of apps) to it, they are less likely to switch to another platform, regardless of its touted merits.
  9. #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    If they build quality phones, tablets and other consumer devices and make sure WebOS is all that it should be when they roll it out on those devices, they won't have any problem gaining market share rapidly. They have staying power and can take as long as they need.
    What is your reasoning with this statement? Given that iOS, Android, and Blackberry have a tad bit more marketshare right now than webOS, and the fact that they all have tablets/pads out that have received rave reviews, why would anyone, other than those who are already familiar with the platform, chose webOS over the other incredibly popular, both in the business and the consumer markets?

    [/QUOTE]The only people that are predicting doom and gloom are those who already love WebOS and want a new device RIGHT NOW! When we know that is such a small percentage of the market that we could all leave and it wouldn't hurt them ultimately in the Big Picture.[/QUOTE]

    The reason the majority of the doomsayers are webOS users is that they are the only ones who care, and no one else knows what the hell webOS is! As for all current webOS users leaving and not having an impact on their "Big Picture", that's just foolish. Without an established userbase, in the current market, there will be no reason for devs to some on board. Without devs and apps, an OS today is DOA. Why do you think Microsoft gave its employees phone 7's? Why did they pay devs to come on-board to attract users? If the devs don't see a financial benefit to creating apps for a platform, they're not going to waste their time. Witness today's app catalog selection.
    True, HP will be find, and webOS will most definitely be an integral part of a specific strategy that they have. The problem is, without any success in the smartphone field, that segment will fade away and they will concentrate their energies and resources into integrating the OS to their cloud-based plans. Yippee for them, bad news for webOS smartphone lovers.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

    Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    What is your reasoning with this statement? Given that iOS, Android, and Blackberry have a tad bit more marketshare right now than webOS, and the fact that they all have tablets/pads out that have received rave reviews, why would anyone, other than those who are already familiar with the platform, chose webOS over the other incredibly popular, both in the business and the consumer markets?.
    Ummm... because they don't have to rely on those that are familiar with any platform. The biggest growth potential is not with current smartphone users. HP Palm has just as much of an opportunity to gain them as any other platform.

    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    As for all current webOS users leaving and not having an impact on their "Big Picture", that's just foolish. Without an established userbase, in the current market, there will be no reason for devs to some on board. Without devs and apps, an OS today is DOA. Why do you think Microsoft gave its employees phone 7's? Why did they pay devs to come on-board to attract users? If the devs don't see a financial benefit to creating apps for a platform, they're not going to waste their time.
    And you don't think HP Palm is doing the same thing with their employees and perhaps some devs? Nobody likes any of the previous WM OS varieties so Microsoft will have to give it a roll of the dice for WM7 just like HP is with WebOS.

    If it were foolish wouldn't HP be doing all they could to hold on to the faithful? The fact is HP has invested the millions and has plans to turn a profit on that investment and that plan obviously doesn't involve letting us in on their little secrets to keep us around. Less than 3% of the market share for smartphone users (I think that was the number a month or so ago) isn't a user or developer base to risk millions on. That would truly be foolish.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Posting Permissions