Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    No info no news about app catalog? is possible that nobody ask to HP about this big problem during or at the end of the event?
    Quote Originally Posted by Torakiki76 View Post
    No info no news about app catalog? is possible that nobody ask to HP about this big problem during or at the end of the event?
    Apparently there was no official Q&A for developers at the event.

And no response to this question when I asked it on Twitter.

HP is not thinking beyond the US as far as I can see.

-- Rod
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Yes Rod i read your tweet and also i saw no response.....what i cant understand is how HP can think to compete with Apple for example with this problem, i think is more big than the 2.0 update for legacy devices...now they will be in MWC but what they will say there? that the devices will be supported with the apps only in US and some other 2-3 country?Its mobile world congress not mobile US congress, really its very strange...
    Last edited by Torakiki76; 02/13/2011 at 04:27 AM.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    This seems to be somehow ingrained in the Palm mentality... Palm was ALWAYS like that, even back in the Palm III days... They never really cared for those other tiny markets like Europe...
    But with HP on board, that HAS to change. HP is definitely a very "locally/internationally aware" brand. I am sure they're very aware of the problem, and if they're avoiding the question, they at least don't have a definite "NO" for us, but rather probably - "We're not sure".
    I also am stuck with a Pre2 activated in Chile , so zero/cero/nada/ninguna /nessuna apps for me. Worse now is that I've moved to Argentina. Country flexibility should be a basic feature.

This is really disappointing, I have a great phone, great OS but with limited (apps) functionality. It's really hard not too look at "alternate" app sources (sorry but its the truth).

Unfortunately my gut feeling is that HP will not change their policy leaving me apps less forever unless they eventually (if...) launch in Chile, which is where I activated my phone. Sad very sad.

And looking beyond, I would love to buy the new tablet but being app-less is a huge turn off. I need apps now!!!
    My thoughts..is why is it possible for those folks in Android via their marketplace and Apple via their mechanism to sell worldwide? It's not rocket science on what the issues are.

1. platform limitation- is it a problem of the Catalog? not developed for Worldwide use?
    2. payment gateway limitation - The Creditcard options are limited to specific countries, so is this a limitation of the Gateway or back to the catalog?
    3. Governmental - Taxes etc etc.
    4. Telco (control) they want a piece of the pie, and in this situation, HP is not in the driver's seat unlike say APPLE.

At the end of it, the ball is in HP's court. IF they want to sell MORE webos devices, they'd need to expand worldwide, and cannot only rely on US market.
    I'm not sure what happened. Just checked updates for apps and app catalog showed-up!!! I have Pre activated in Singapore...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12