Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    When you say you can't get backup on, are you not able to switch the toggle to On or is it just not backing up?

What happens if you choose Palm Profile from the Backup app menu? Re enter your password if you're prompted to and see if you can get Backup running again.

Once logged into your profile and viewing the profile screen (if you make it that far), swipe back and try a manual backup.
    The switch is off. When I turn it to on the circle just spins forever. I tried doing what you said, went into palm profile, put in my password again and swiped back but it doesnt say anything about manual backup. Just shows the toggle switch off. i swipe it on and I just get the spinning circle and in the background of that it says "your data is backed up auotmatically everyday".
    Quote Originally Posted by myblackz28 View Post
    The switch is off. When I turn it to on the circle just spins forever. I tried doing what you said, went into palm profile, put in my password again and swiped back but it doesnt say anything about manual backup. Just shows the toggle switch off. i swipe it on and I just get the spinning circle and in the background of that it says "your data is backed up auotmatically everyday".
    The spinning circle is like the hour glass for Windows. It usually means your device is working. I'm not sure how long you have waited after turning it on, but it may be gathering all of the information it will need to do a backup. If you can connect via wifi it may be faster, but you might try turning it on then just setting the phone down for an hour and see if it eventually finishes whatever it is trying to do. The profile takes a bit to load so I would expect it to take a bit to back up. Probably similar to removing something like a FB account with lots of friends. It can take a long time to finally be un-synced.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Really strange, I don't have any experience with that issue so I'm out of the loop.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Just change the .zip extension to .jar... it really is the jar file. Something with internet explorer or Windows causes that.
    I ranmed the file to .jar and the repair utility still doesnt see it. The utility is asking to download the doctor still. Ohh this is frustrating!
  5.    #25  
    The spinning circle is like the hour glass for Windows. It usually means your device is working. I'm not sure how long you have waited after turning it on, but it may be gathering all of the information it will need to do a backup. If you can connect via wifi it may be faster, but you might try turning it on then just setting the phone down for an hour and see if it eventually finishes whatever it is trying to do. The profile takes a bit to load so I would expect it to take a bit to back up. Probably similar to removing something like a FB account with lots of friends. It can take a long time to finally be un-synced.
    I know when its spinning, the phone is thinking. I let it run for a bout a half hour. Think I should try an hour? Takes that long?
    I ranmed the file to .jar and the repair utility still doesnt see it. The utility is asking to download the doctor still. Ohh this is frustrating!
    are they in the same folder and do you have the correct version of Dr. for your phone?
    I know when its spinning, the phone is thinking. I let it run for a bout a half hour. Think I should try an hour? Takes that long?
    As opposed to Dr'ing your phone right away? Sure, I would let it run an hour. Then if it isn't going to work Dr. away.
  8.    #28  
    are they in the same folder and do you have the correct version of Dr. for your phone?
    Everything is in the same folder. The first time I ran the repair utility, it downloaded the doctor. It gave me an older version- 1411. I found 1.4.5 somewhere else but its still showing up as a zip file.
    Everything is in the same folder. The first time I ran the repair utility, it downloaded the doctor. It gave me an older version- 1411. I found 1.4.5 somewhere else but its still showing up as a zip file.
    You can get the latest version for whatever model/carrier you have HERE.

Then just rename the extension. Make sure you have "view extensions of known file types" enabled for that folder so you can see the .zip extension and change it to .jar.
  10.    #30  
    You can get the latest version for whatever model/carrier you have HERE.

Then just rename the extension. Make sure you have "view extensions of known file types" enabled for that folder so you can see the .zip extension and change it to .jar.
    That fixed the .jar problem. Thanx. I ran the backup for an hour and all I got was the same thing- spinning circle. Running repair utility now. Lets see how that goes.
  11.    #31  
    I ran the repair utility. There were 2 errors. Not sure what they were exactly. I turned the backup app on and will let it run for a bit otherwise im going to have to doctor
  12.    #32  
    A visit to the doctor fixed the backup issue. All seems to be well now excpet now when someone calls me, the callerid contact pic is all distorted.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    having the same issue on both pre and pixi. a dr. erased everything and now my contacts are gone for good. was on phone with palm for hours. lucky i have a vcard, but can't get the contacts to load when i place it on the usb drive. crazy ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkgift View Post
    having the same issue on both pre and pixi. a dr. erased everything and now my contacts are gone for good. was on phone with palm for hours. lucky i have a vcard, but can't get the contacts to load when i place it on the usb drive. crazy ****.
    if you load them in to gmail, and the export them back to a .csv file, that may help. Not sure why, must be some adjustment to field mapping.

ps, NEVER put calendar or contact info into the palm profile. I still sync with outlook. If not, hotmail or gmail is far safer than the palm profile as you unfortunately just proved.
    I'm having the same issue.

I doctored my palm pre plus last week and noticed that the daily backups were not taking place.

I clicked on the manual backup button and I got the spinning circle.

After ten minutes and several attempts I figured I'd shut the backoff option off and then toggle it back on.

Now it won't toggle back on!

It just hangs at the spinning circle even after a battery pull.

I don't want to doctor as I just did a few days ago and when I toggled the backup to off I got a message that it would delete the old profile backup which means if I doctor I'd lose eveything!

I googled this issue to no avail.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by jerseydevil; 01/23/2011 at 12:57 PM.
    I've discovered a way to turn back on the Web OS Backup App withought having to resort to WebOS Doctor if, after turning it off, it can't be turned back on--the status indicator spinning circle continues spinning ad infinitum. Unfortunately I didn't discover it before resorting to WebOS Doctor myself after Palm support couldn't help resolve the issue. Believe it or not I found myself in the same predicament as before when I decided to test if the issue was completely resolved immediately after doctoring... it WASN'T!
    I believe it's a bug in version 1.4.5 and possibly prior.
    Here's my NO Doctoring solution but before, please keep in mind that I've only used this method on my Pre and no other handset. I have a an original Sprint Palm Pre running WebOS 1.4.5.

Ingredients:
    WebOS Quick Install
    SQLite Database Browser - Google it to download

Procedure:
    WARNING! This involves copying the PalmDatabase from and to the Pre, so you should HALT here if you're squeamish.
    Otherwise before proceeding I'd suggest you back up your Pre contacts, ect. with Internalz Save/Restore app or another method of your choice (*I actually used both Save/Restore and the Palm Pre Backup Utility v.1.6.1 by developer DrewPre to backup my Pre since versions 1.6.6 and 1.6.7 were reported as problematic. Although I had no problems with the Pre Backup Utility, from reading the forum it's evident that the app is a controvertial one and shall you choose to use it, it will be at your own risk; as is the rest of this procedure that follows. See forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/228303-pre-backup-utility-please-exercise-caution-utility.html.

0. Before beginning, set the Pre in airplane mode and toss all cards away.
    1. In developer mode connect Pre to computer and fire up WebOS Quick Install.
    2. From the Tools dropdown, select Receive File.
    3. Carefully type "/var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3" (no quotes) in the File field and then choose the Desktop as your Destination Folder.
    4. Start up SQLite Database Browser and open the PalmDatabase.db3 file you saved on the desktop--to be safe, at this point I would also opt to copy the file to have and original backup since we'll be modifying it.
    5. Now, select the Browse Data tab and from the Table dropdown, select "com_palm_backup_util_BackupConfig".
    6. You'll see 4 keys. Look at the "OPTIN" key. If your problem is the same as mine you'll see a value of "no" for that key. Change it to "yes" by double clicking on the cell and changing "no" to "yes" in the Edit Database Cell window and applying the change. DO NOT MODIFY ANY OTHER ENTRY.
    7. Go to the File dropdown and select Save Database to make the change official.
    8. It's now time to import the corrected PalmDatabase back to the Pre.
    9. From WebOS Quick Install Tool menu, select Send File.
    10. Select the PalmDatabase.db3 file on the desktop from the File field and in the Destination Folder field type "/var/luna/data/dbdata/".
    11. click Send To Device.

That should be it! Lauch the Palm Backup app and automatic backups should be enabled. Withought even a restart. As good practice I would do a restart anyway.
    This solution worked for me on my original Sprint Palm Pre so I have no Idea if it'll work on all other versions of the handsets or any other than mine for that matter.
    It's an annoying problem so I hope it does... And let's hope it has been addressed in HP WebOS 2.0.

Good luck to all that try my method and remember that it's risky and not guaranteed to work. So take all cautions to back up your data.
    --V
    Vdogg your procedure worked like a charm!

As soon as I followed your steps and selected the "Backup" option I noticed the backup toggle switch was already set to the "on" position.

I proceeded to click on the "manual backup" button and that completed successfully.

I did not try to turn the backup off and then on again as I figured I'd leave well enough alone!

If I notice that the daily backups do not take place I will just get into the habit of running a manual backup everyday although I did read that the when the phone tries to run its backup if the phone is in use the backup gets cancelled for the day (I'm wondering if that maybe was my original issue?).

If I could add to your instructions I would add a step to open the database once the SQLite Database Browser has been launched as this could cause some questions.

Some other background info: I am on a Pre Plus version 1.4.5 running on the AT&T network.

Thanks again for the help!!!
  18. jhp
    +1

I used the Firefox SQLite Manager addon; no muss, no fuss, backups are working again :^)
    Thats fantastic JerseyDevil, now we know it works for AT&T Pre+ as well as Prints Pre-.
    Whatever you do, do not attempt to turn off the Backup app again, you'll end up where you were beforeódon't ask me how I know . I think the problem is a bug in WebOS 1.4.X.
    You're right about the automatic backups, if the phone is in use at the time of a scheduled backup it will be postponed until the next scheduled day and time. I would suggest you do a manual backup at a time when you don't use the phone (like late at night or dawn) so that the subsequent auto backups occur at that time. Also check with Palm Support because I read of a case where the phone wasn't reporting regular backups but on the Palm server it showed that they were occurring.
    Glad I was able to help.
    Nice! What phone are you working with JHP?
    And btw, any SQLite editor/reader will do; no muss, no fuss indeed.
    Thanks for the props.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast