1. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I recently had my FOURTH Palm Pre from O2 in the UK, having had the third one “repaired” three times in as many months. This new one has been resetting all the time when I close the slider. Every so often (about five or ten times a day some times!) when I close the slider the screen would fade out and the device turned on. When I turned it back on, the clock would be about a year of out date and then nothing would work. SSL errors, OAuth errors etc etc. due to the time issues. Resetting the time correctly fixed all this until the next crash!

So sick and tired of this I rang O2 this afternoon to get the handset repaired. To my amazement though they didn’t even try and offer the repair OR replacement. Instead, he said “would you be interested in a different handset?”. After a length conversation and a bit of haggling, they are sending me a brand new Samsung Galaxy S on Tuesday in a doorstep swap over. He was saying that they’ve basically given up on the Palm Pre now with the repairs and replacements and are transitioning people away from them.
    They originally tried to fob me off with some 1998 Nokias and some feature-phone Sony Erriccson’s, but told them I needed a decent spec smartphone. They then tried to get me to pay the difference, but after explaining I paid £90 for the handset, had to buy a touchstone AND pay a tenner for a back cover on launch day, he relented after authorisation with his manager and gave me the handset for free.
    I thought this was very telling and perhaps indicative of why they have no intent of selling the Pre2. Palm has screwed up big time with the device and should have Phased the Pre out silently with the Pre2, absorbing the cost in the process just to limit the damage.
    I’m not giving up on WebOS. My girlfriend has an HTC desire so I’m well aware how much better WebOS is than Android. I have a developer device on order from Palm (six weeks and waiting!) and when my two year deal ends next October I’ll no doubt be back on WebOS. Until them though its the Galaxy S for me depending on if/when this Pre Plus arrives from Palm UK.

Just thought I’d post the info though as it was quite a telling shift in emphasis from O2 who seem to have completely given up on the Palm Pre.
    I don't want a Samsung.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
  3. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Yes, but theres a big difference between carriers not taking a new device and losing interest in supporting an EXISTING device!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    O2 have a "three repairs or replacements means a different device" policy and we are only selling the Pre Plus through certain stores.

"...He was saying that they’ve basically given up on the Palm Pre now with the repairs and replacements and are transitioning people away from them..."

This is not untrue, but reflects our policy of no more than three repairs or replacements of a device.

The policy causes some entertainment when Apple fans blame O2 for their busted up iPhone... And say that there's nothing as good as their not-working Apple product that they could possibly want...