Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just switched to sprint and got a free palm pre from wirefly. Day 5 of having the pre I dropped it in the toilet- ugh- I immediately took it out, turned off and dried it but I had to leave to pick up my kid from school. Upon returning, I googled for help. I took out battery (not immediately and not without first trying to turn on-big mistakes) I put in rice and silica gel for about 4 days. Nothing- phone is dead. So I know there is an internal water sensor but I also found two white strips and wonder if they too are sensors. There was a strip on the battery itself (did bleed pink) and there is a white strip with red stripes on the phone right where you place the battery. My question is what does the white strip with red stripes mean? Not sure if the white strip with red stripes means normal or water damage. To me it looks like the white strip with red stripes is normal and that if it was water damaged the red stripes would bleed. but I don't know?
    For anyone with a fairly new pre that has NOT been water damaged will you check your pre and let me know what the strip on the battery and where you place the battery looks like (the strip is located directly under the the tab that helps you pull the battery out). Thanks I appreciate it.
    White with red stripes means that it has been exposed to moisture. The one on the battery turning pink means the battery has been exposed to moisture.

If you crack the device open you would find other indicators on the board that would likely indicate moisture damage.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I think white with red stripes is ok and pink is bad. Not 100 percent sure though.
    If you dont have insurance, can buy one on ebay for less than 80 bucks
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    I think white with red stripes is ok and pink is bad. Not 100 percent sure though.
    Looks like HardBeatZ clarified it 2 minutes before your post...

WyreNut
    Pre2/3/TouchPad, and TouchDroid user.
  6.    #6  
    thanks would anyone mind checking their palm to see about that strip- just want to know what a normal one looks like
  7. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I have a white strip with red stripes, and my phone has never been exposed to water.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Just opened my AT&T Pre Plus, and the strips are both white. No stripes.

WyreNut
    Pre2/3/TouchPad, and TouchDroid user.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonita19 View Post
    For anyone with a fairly new pre that has NOT been water damaged will you check your pre and let me know what the strip on the battery and where you place the battery looks like (the strip is located directly under the the tab that helps you pull the battery out). Thanks I appreciate it.
    pure white!!

and i have this one for 4 months
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    I have a white strip with red stripes, and my phone has never been exposed to water.
    You're phone can be exposed to moisture without you realizing what happened.

Going from a very cold environment to a warm one. Having it sit on a counter while taking a shower..grabbing the phone while your hands are sweaty etc...
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

11.    #11  
    see that is why I am confused.....some say it indicates water damage, others say no...some have only white, some have white with red stripes too.
    I guess the more people who check and respond will help to get a definite answer on this! thanks!
    Or you could just take my word on it...
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

I see an all white strip under the tab that pulls the battery.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  14.    #14  
    hardbeatz, I am new to this forum - are you a real palm tech (as in employed) or just someone who knows a lot about palm.
    So will I have a hard time getting a replacement from sprint?
    I mean if it is that easy to get moisture exposure does that mean that the phone would be classified as water damaged (ok, in my case I can see how it would since it was- but for example in GHT's phone- should his phone go bad one day - will they use that against him even if it was never dropped in water)
    hardbeatz, I am new to this forum - are you a real palm tech (as in employed) or just someone who knows a lot about palm.
    So will I have a hard time getting a replacement from sprint?
    HardBeatz is indeed a Palm employee
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    see that is why I am confused.....some say it indicates water damage, others say no...some have only white, some have white with red stripes too.
    I guess the more people who check and respond will help to get a definite answer on this! thanks!
    its a standard litmus test... anyone who says that they have red stripes means the strip HAS been exposed to moisture at one point or another...

Its not the Tell all indicator , but as i have stated elsewhere any GOOD tech will take this as what it is, an INDICATOR, and proceed to look for further signs of liquid damage..

Do NOT try to use warranty by Palm or Sprint...

YOU KNOW IT FELL IN WATER what is the problem???
    Last edited by sketch42; 11/11/2010 at 11:50 AM.
    My brand new Pre, from Sprint had white with red stripes on it, both on the battery and under the battery pull tab.
    I can not remember if it was asurian or sprint, but they said that white with red stripes was normal. They sent me a new phone for free either way!
    Quote Originally Posted by millworkman View Post
    My brand new Pre, from Sprint had white with red stripes on it, both on the battery and under the battery pull tab.
    Ditto for my Verizon Pre Plus - white with red stripes on it, both on the battery and under the battery pull tab. I guess red stripes are OK as long as they don't bleed to pink.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  20.    #20  
    thanks for all who answered- Sketch why did you say not to used palm or sprint warranties?
    I took it to sprint store/repair and they looked at it but said I had to send it back to Wirefly and they couldn't repair or replace since it is within 30 days (don't understand that part?) I didn't mention the water incident and they didn't ask either. So wirefly is sending out a replacement- but had to put a $250 deposit- which they said I will get back upon return of the broken one. But now I am worried they won't give back the $250 deposit after inspecting it. but I do have the sprint insurance and with that I think I would only have to pay a $100 deductible. Did I make a mistake with wirefly- anyone else have experiences with returns and wirefly?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast