1.    #1  
    I was reading an article about the seeming imminent launch of the iPhone on Verizon. The article listed some of the things that Verizon would need to do to pull away AT&T iPhone users. One of things they said was that AT&T users really like being able to use voice and data at the same time and that this is something Verizon would need to fix on their CDMA network if they hoped to make a dent in AT&T's iPhone user base.

Is it even possible to make voice and data work simultaneously on CDMA?

If so, does that mean we as Pre users would be able to do voice and data at the same time as well? That would be NICE!
    Well, if the iPhone launches on verizon. Android and especially PALM will lose a great % of their users lol. If it ever launches on Sprint, Palm can kiss their users on Sprint goodbye because i know all the people that are being forced to like their Pre now will not be waiting for Jan to come by...Including me..As much as i hate to have an iPhone, it does the job better than a Pre. In the sense that, i wont be needing a new hardware for another 2-3 years.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Yes, CDMA can handle voise and data just fine. The problem is that carriers don't want to spend the time to upgrade their network to allow it. I don't see this happening since they all seem to be rushing to 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Yes, CDMA can handle voise and data just fine. The problem is that carriers don't want to spend the time to upgrade their network to allow it. I don't see this happening since they all seem to be rushing to 4G.
    Isnt the new iPhone 4G?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Isnt the new iPhone 4G?
    Nope. The "4G" in "iPhone 4G" only means it's the fourth hardware generation.
    Oh lol...Whaoo..

The latest iPhone isn't actually the iPhone "4G" rather it's the iPhone 4, to designate the 4th iteration of hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    The latest iPhone iasn't actually the iPhone "4G" rather it's the iPhone 4, to designate the 4th iteration of hardware.
    I remember around the time it was released everyone was referring to it as the "iPhone 4G"... That's what caused the confusion lol
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    I remember around the time it was released everyone was refirrin to it as the "iPhone 4G"... That's what caused the confusion lol
    Makes you wonder if they'll actually call the next iPhone the 4G. Guess it makes sense though: iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4G.

Sounds better than iPhone LTE anyway...
  10.    #11  
    Sooooo....anyway...

Hopefully when VZ launches the iPhone that'll force them to make their network support simultaneous voice/data.

A benefit for Pre Plus/2 users everywhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Sooooo....anyway...

Hopefully when VZ launches the iPhone that'll force them to make their network support simultaneous voice/data.

A benefit for Pre Plus/2 users everywhere!
    Ha... I could easily see Apple request that Verizon only allow the iPhone to do simultaneous voice/data on their network. I'm sure there could be a homebrew workaround, but I'm just going to go ahead and assume that there's no way Apple will simply be gracious and allow other phone manufacturers to take advantage of this...
  12.    #13  
    Ha... I could easily see Apple request that Verizon only allow the iPhone to do simultaneous voice/data. I'm sure there would be a homebrew workaround, but I'm just going to go ahead and assume that there's no way Apple will simply be gracious and allow other phone manufacturers to take advantage of this...
    How can they limit it? If they make their CDMA network capable of this, it seems like all phones on the network would instantly be able to it. Does Apple stipulate that other phones on AT&T be unable to do simultaneous/voice data?
    How can they limit it? If they make their CDMA network capable of this, it seems like all phones on the network would instantly be able to it. Does Apple stipulate that other phones on AT&T be unable to do simultaneous/voice data?
    Ok, you know you could have mostly gotten an answer to your own thread with a quick search? Verizon isn't just flipping a switch that magically makes simultaneous voice/data possible. This is new tech.
    Verizon Preparing to Offer Simultaneous Voice and Data | webOSroundup
    While there’s no guarantee that any new webOS hardware that appears in Verizon’s stable of smartphones will support this new technology, it’s good to see Verizon attempting to resolve what has been a glaring fault of their 3G network since its inception
    And yea, Apple doesn't stipulate how other phones operate on AT&T, but I imagine Apple has got to be on the receiving end of some benefit if they're ending their exclusivity deal with AT&T with 2 years still left on their original deal. Apple is the only company to launch an advertising campaign touting simultaneous voice/data (after Verizon first went on the "network offensive.")

In all honesty, who really cares though? Even if I didn't spend most of my time on Wifi (where simultananeous voice/data isn't a problem), I see it as a pointless venture anyway since Verizon is pushing their LTE deployment hard in 2011. Again, simultaneous voice/data isn't a problem on LTE either... EDIT: To reiterate, I can easily see this being a CDMA "iPhone-only" option and I don't think Verizon cares.
  14.    #15  
    Ok, you know you could have mostly gotten an answer to your own thread with a quick search? Verizon isn't just flipping a switch that magically makes simultaneous voice/data possible. This is new tech.
    Verizon Preparing to Offer Simultaneous Voice and Data | webOSroundup

And yea, Apple doesn't stipulate how other phones operate on AT&T, but I imagine Apple has got to be on the receiving end of some benefit if they're ending their exclusivity deal with AT&T with 2 years still left on their original deal. Apple is the only company to launch an advertising campaign touting simultaneous voice/data (after Verizon first went on the "network offensive.")

In all honesty, who really cares though? Even if I didn't spend most of my time on Wifi (where simultananeous voice/data isn't a problem), I see it as a pointless venture anyway since Verizon is pushing their LTE deployment hard in 2011. Again, simultaneous voice/data isn't a problem on LTE either... EDIT: To reiterate, I can easily see this being a CDMA "iPhone-only" option and I don't think Verizon cares.
    My question did not have to do with the technology involved with Verizon converting their network (Yes, I'm aware it's not as easy as flipping a switch). The point of my original post was simply that there could be a benefit to Pre Plus/2 users of the iPhone coming to VZ if they have to convert their network to handle data and voice simultaneously.
    My question did not have to do with the technology involved with Verizon converting their network (Yes, I'm aware it's not as easy as flipping a switch). The point of my original post was simply that there could be a benefit to Pre Plus/2 users of the iPhone coming to VZ if they have to convert their network to handle data and voice simultaneously.
    Again, you're focusing only on changes being made on the network side and forgetting about the phones themselves. Unfortunately you can't ask about a possible benefit of a network conversion and then ignore the technology involved in making this possible. From what I've read, simultaneous voice/data will never be possible with the current Verizon Pre Plus/2 hardware.

Sure, I'd love to say that maybe this has something to do with the Pre2 delays on Verizon, but I wouldn't wager on it. And hey, I'd love to be wrong, but I can't see any benefit for a number of reasons.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    iPhone = meh

just my opinion.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    And just to wander a little further off topic: Recently released specifications for the "4G" service indicates that no US service provider meets the criteria for 4G. The best they can muster is 3.5G.
    Doug

"Call me anything you want - just not late for dinner."
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    InfoWorld wrote an article "the-4g-lie-gets-worse" that explains the differences between the previous standards (up to 3G) and the new standards. I can't post a link yet due to insufficient number of posts.
    Doug

"Call me anything you want - just not late for dinner."