1.    #1  
    Okay, I know battery drain while using the touchstone on the road has been discussed before, but I can't find anything on the specific issue I am having.

When charging the phone directly (car charger to mini usb plug) it charges just fine. But when I switch the cable to the touchstone and charge from there, the battrey drains at the rate of about 1% per minute!

And before you ask, yes, the phone is possitioned correctly on the TS. I get the TS 'bong' with the "phone is charging" notice confirming proper alignment.

I tried on three seperate occasions switching back and forth between direct charging and TS charging while on the road yesterday and got the exact same results each time. At first I thought it may have been a battery issue (Battery Doctor says my batt is at 49% efficiency), but that still doesn't account for why it would charge normally one way and drain the other way. I even turned off my Sprint Nav and sent the phone into Airplane Mode. No change - still drained at the same rate while on TS.

FYI, when charging via desktop Touchstone, all is well. The phone charges just fine. It's only while in the car that it drains. Is this due to a car's electrical system not being able to push as much voltage/wattage to the unit as a wall outlet - and thus the TS (which is less efficient at charging than the direct method anyway) is too under-powered to be effective? Even if this is the case, it doesn't account for my batt draining at a rate of 1% per minute. At the very least it should keep my batt steady.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    I have a custom homemade in-car Touchstone charger and the phone charges just fine on it... which car adapter are you using? I think I remember reading that some don't work with the Touchstone. I have the official Palm charger hooked up to my Touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    Okay, I know battery drain while using the touchstone on the road has been discussed before, but I can't find anything on the specific issue I am having.

When charging the phone directly (car charger to mini usb plug) it charges just fine. But when I switch the cable to the touchstone and charge from there, the battrey drains at the rate of about 1% per minute!

And before you ask, yes, the phone is possitioned correctly on the TS. I get the TS 'bong' with the "phone is charging" notice confirming proper alignment.

I tried on three seperate occasions switching back and forth between direct charging and TS charging while on the road yesterday and got the exact same results each time. At first I thought it may have been a battery issue (Battery Doctor says my batt is at 49% efficiency), but that still doesn't account for why it would charge normally one way and drain the other way. I even turned off my Sprint Nav and sent the phone into Airplane Mode. No change - still drained at the same rate while on TS.

FYI, when charging via desktop Touchstone, all is well. The phone charges just fine. It's only while in the car that it drains. Is this due to a car's electrical system not being able to push as much voltage/wattage to the unit as a wall outlet - and thus the TS (which is less efficient at charging than the direct method anyway) is too under-powered to be effective? Even if this is the case, it doesn't account for my batt draining at a rate of 1% per minute. At the very least it should keep my batt steady.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
    I have set up a touchstone in my car so that I can connect A2DP to my car stereo. With Navit Satnav and Spotify running at the same time, with wifi, gps, and bluetooth enabled, my car touchstone charged my device to about 60% after about a 3 hour car journey from 0%. I am using the standard Palm car charger and standard touchstone with a Pre Plus mounted virtically on the touchstone in a Ford Focus 05.

Can I suggest that you run Govnah if you have it installed? It displays the battery drain (or gain) in real time. My touchstone will usually drain at about 200 - 300 mA when not charging, and will charge at around 200 mA when on the touchstone.

Please note that Govnah uses a custom Kernal (I think. My knowledge on custom Kernals isn't as great as it should be), so if you haven't installed UberKernal then I suggest you read as much as you can about it and then install it to make your device rock!

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
  4.    #4  
    Perhaps, as you suggested JTH182, it is a car charger issue. This is the charger I am using. I didn't know it made a difference (Palm vs. other). It charges the phone just fine, so I figured it should power the Touchstone fine too. Especially since the phone tells me it is "charging" when I set it down on the TS. I'm going to return this one back to Sprint and get a Palm one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Renderhaus; 11/11/2010 at 06:33 AM.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    That car charger sucks

Had one. It intermittently charges - and that doesn't say anything to the capability to provide the Touchstone with 1A.

I replaced mine with a Palm branded car charger and no more problems.

Fortunately I still use the Sprint crap ones for the kids' phones when travelling so not a complete waste when we are on a driving excursion.
    Dan
    I use that charger in my car just fine with the touchstone but I had to return it once because it stopped working . I advise taking it back to sprint for replacement and see what happens . Then let us know .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  7.    #7  
    That settles it then. This piece of crap is going back today. And i'll be placing my order for a Palm one.
    and by the way palm or even the verizon branded chargers work just fine as well. If you look on verizon website look for bundles and then navigate to the pre plus they usually have some great deals . I bought 2 car chargers with touchstone included for 10 bucks each free shipping.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    That settles it then. This piece of crap is going back today. And i'll be placing my order for a Palm one.
    check verizon first . It will be cheaper I'm sure .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    ... I bought 2 car chargers with touchstone included for 10 bucks each free shipping.
    WHAT?!?!? Are you for real? $10 each for Charger + Charger + Touchstone?
    What 12 volt adaptor are you using? The adaptor needs to be able to output 1 Amp of energy to the touchstone. Anything less will result in slow charging or the phone not getting enough energy to actually charge the battery. Some USB charging adaptors are limited to 500mA or less because that is in line with the unit load USB specification. A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0 specification, and was raised to 150 mA in USB 3.0 specification. A maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) can be drawn from a port in USB 2.0, which was raised to 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0.

My suggestion is to get a different 12V USB adaptor.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Spend the money on the Palm charger. Never had a problem with it.
    Dan
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    What 12 volt adaptor are you using?...
    I'm using the Sprint model pictured in my second thread post. It has a mini USB tip. Adapter / Car Charger....I don't know the difference.
    Set Your Location

Here is a deal they have for a case and charger and touchstone for 15 dollars but that is all they have right now.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Spend the money on the Palm charger. Never had a problem with it.
    My intentions exactly. Espicially since it costs only $20 versus $38 for the Sprint charger. I laid down $$ for two of them yesterday (one for my wife too). Though I don't see her ever using her Touchstone in the car, I'll still take hers back too.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Set Your Location

Here is a deal they have for a case and charger and touchstone for 15 dollars but that is all they have right now.
    DISCO!

Thanks, shadavis. I took a look at the deal and still had a hard time believing it. It's almost like those websites where you buy software for 90% off retail.
    My intentions exactly. Espicially since it costs only $20 versus $38 for the Sprint charger. I laid down $$ for two of them yesterday (one for my wife too). Though I don't see her ever using her Touchstone in the car, I'll still take hers back too.
    If you haven't done so already...

Log into your Verizon account, go to "shop" --> "wireless" --> "accessories", then click on "browse bundles" towards the bottom left and enter your phone info.

You'll have the option of buying a Touchstone and car charger and case for $15. 2 day shipping is free. It's not a Palm car charger, but a Verizon one and works perfectly fine with the Touchstone. It's what I use. Plus, it has a USB port on the charger if you wanted to charge something else at the same time (e.g. Bluetooth).
    DISCO!

Thanks, shadavis. I took a look at the deal and still had a hard time believing it. It's almost like those websites where you buy software for 90% off retail.
    oops...nevermind!
  19.    #19  
    [QUOTE=YankBoy;2754430]If you haven't done so already...

Thanks YankBoy. Just finished placing my order for two of them.

FYI though, I'm a Sprint user. Though I was still able to get the deal, via the link that Shadavis08 provided. And all for $8+ less than what I paid for just one Sprint charger. INCREDIBLE!