Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was wondering how high refurbished palm pres run from sprint. I own a pixi as of now, but was looking to get a more powerful phone. I know that the pre was pulled off shelves, and online, but are they still for sale as refurbished options?
    you can get a new one for practically nothing on the hp web site
    Check E-Bay and Craigslist, but they average for between 60-100 depending on quality. For a 2 year contract you can get a new one for free.
    yup listen to zealster. ebay or clist.
    Don't pay much more than 100.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I paid $160 for mine, used on Ebay, with two Touchstone kits and all cables.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I know the Sprint Pre was pulled off the website and most stores but I contacted my local Sprint store and they still had 5 Pre's in stock.

They are holding one for me, I will be doing an upgrade on one of my lines.
    It is $149.99 after instant rebates (upgrade eligible) and a $100 mail-in rebate, so $49.99 after everything is said and done.

If you really want a Pre, call your lcoal stores and see if they have them.
    But why waste your upgrade on such an old phone? You can get a used one and save your upgrade for other phone options in the future.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    HP site upgrade will cost you $0
    Check with www_cowboom_com - Auction site by Bestbuy - looks great to me. Look at the Auctions.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    But why waste your upgrade on such an old phone? You can get a used one and save your upgrade for other phone options in the future.
    I agree with you. As much as it pains me to upgrade to a 1-1/2 year old device like the Pre, it was actually for my friend who loves the Pre and hated all the other the budget Androids (she liked the Evo but didn't want to pay $200 for a phone and $10/mo extra).

However, she didn't end up getting the Pre but went with the LG Optimus S which just came out Nov 7th. It is a sweet phone. I was playing with it and it is great.

Pros:
    3.2MP camera WITH autofocus
    Larger battery (not sure on battery life effect)
    Running Froyo 2.2
    Voice dialing (I missed that from my old phone)
    Google search using "voice recognition"
    App Market offerings ; Skype, etc
    External microSD expansion slot offers more storage than Pre's onboard

Cons (for me):
    Not as homebrew friendly as webOS.
    Not a great multitasker as webOS.

Keeping in mind that the LG Optimus S is a budget Android phone, it has a nice solid feel to it (no physical keyboard). Very responsive, not laggy at all. I hate to say this but I like this phone more than the Pre. After playing with it for a half hour, I've gotten used to Android and am sure I won't have much problems switching over.

I'm still rocking my Pre and am already eligible for an upgrade but I'm going to hold off for a bit to see what new devices come out.

I have a feeling I'll see a budget/mid Android device comes out before a new webOS device that features Flash, forward-facing camera and Netflix streaming. If that happens, I'm going to jump ship
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I have to agree with you this time... Op..even though sprint haven't deny or agree on carrying the pre 2, which would be better to use your upgrade on, I would also recommend you not using your upgrade at this time - and try getting a pre elsewhere.

Ps. The palm pre is not an outdated phone.(In my honest opinion)
    LG Optimus S has the same processor as Pixi running at the same speed. It will not be supporting flash just like Pixi (when webOS 2.0 hits). Infact NONE of the budget androids have a Cortex A8 processor they are all using arm11 processors at 600MHz (optimus) to 800 MHz (Transform).

The prices for these phones vary from $50 to $150 but they are not really worth it as far as the 2 year contract is concerned. Transform has the same innards as samsung moment (RAM, CPU both are the same) a device that was deemed not upgradeable to 2.1 after being introduced just 9 months before in Nov of 2009 and discontinued in July 2010 (I believe).

Optimus S actually has the most RAM (512) out of the budget androids and is the lowest price at $50 with a 2 year contract but I thought you could get a Pre off of HP for free as well.

She still has time to change the phone.
    your friend can get a Plussed Sprint Pre from ebay for under a $100. Keep in mind that the phone will have 512Mb of RAM with 16 GB of disk space Optimus comes with 2GB AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    your friend can get a Plussed Sprint Pre from ebay for under a $100. Keep in mind that the phone will have 512Mb of RAM with 16 GB of disk space Optimus comes with 2GB AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Optimus S has a micro SD slot. So maximum can be 32GB + 2GB, depending on what card you can find.

Also good luck finding that Pre Plus. Bad ESN Verizon Pre Pluses still go for 80 bucks for a fair condition one. Also don't forget you also need a good Sprint Pre modem donor, so the cost makes it impossible to be selling for under $100.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    LG Optimus S has the same processor as Pixi running at the same speed. It will not be supporting flash just like Pixi (when webOS 2.0 hits). Infact NONE of the budget androids have a Cortex A8 processor they are all using arm11 processors at 600MHz (optimus) to 800 MHz (Transform).

The prices for these phones vary from $50 to $150 but they are not really worth it as far as the 2 year contract is concerned. Transform has the same innards as samsung moment (RAM, CPU both are the same) a device that was deemed not upgradeable to 2.1 after being introduced just 9 months before in Nov of 2009 and discontinued in July 2010 (I believe).

Optimus S actually has the most RAM (512) out of the budget androids and is the lowest price at $50 with a 2 year contract but I thought you could get a Pre off of HP for free as well.

She came from a Samsung Exclaim (dumbphone) but with familiarity of an iTouch and she likes the looks and feel of the Optimus S. After playing with it, I can't say I disagree with her. For someone who cares about messaging, calling, some web surfing, navigation, games, the Optimus S is a sweet phone for the entry-level smartphone user.

I agree the specs of the Optimus S is not the best but show me an appealing "new" phone for $49.99 that looks nice and works well. With Sprint's current portfolio, there really isn't anything to compete. The Intercept/Zio launched recently at $99 and is just awful. The HTC Hero still sells for $149, same as the Transform and as hopeful as I was for the Transform, it just sucks! The LG Optimus S is only $49.99 and comes with Froyo and the ability to run without bloatware. It just got an update to support Swype today (I'll need to steal her phone to try it out).

I'm a fan of webOS, don't get me wrong, but HP needs to put out new hardware FAST on Sprint or they'll lose their users. New phones need to come out first and FAST, developers need to be convinced that webOS will grow so they will create apps that compare with the offerings from Android/Apple store.

True, but the typical person won't want to get a phone off Ebay based on the Pre hardware that is less than perfect. I've had to replace my Pre 3 times due to various problems in the first year (headphone jack, power button, slider) while another one of our mutual friends had to replace her VZW Pre Plus because it just quit on her. Another mutual friend had to replace her Sprint Pre because the earpiece quit. 3 out of 4 people she knows with a Pre has had some hardware issues. It doesn't sit well with her if she doesn't have the phone warrantied.

The 2GB (included microSD) is fine, she needs it as a "phone". Her iTouch is her music player.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Optimus S has a micro SD slot. So maximum can be 32GB + 2GB, depending on what card you can find.

Also good luck finding that Pre Plus. Bad ESN Verizon Pre Pluses still go for 80 bucks for a fair condition one. Also don't forget you also need a good Sprint Pre modem donor, so the cost makes it impossible to be selling for under $100.
    I agree with ToniCipriani. I'd love to say "long live the Pre" but I've given up on the Pre hardware as well, it makes no sense for me to get a Pre or to consider Ebay plussed Pre's. My experience with the Pre while on warranty (prior to Sprint's Nov 1st warranty policy changes) makes me not want something with poor hardware.

At this time, I'm hoping some good news will come out at CES that will let me hang on to my Pre just a bit longer but with a phone that's off warranty, there's no way I'll be spending $$$ to fix it if anything happens now. I can always limp away with an Android phone until my next upgrade and give webOS a go then once it's had more time to grow.

Best post I have seen, I am new to Palm, getting on my in-laws account and when I visited the Sprint store, I fell in love with the Pre which everyone/employees thought I was crazy. Store owner is giving me a referb Pre for FREE and I am ordering a Pixi for $29. I will pay full price when the Pre 2 hits Sprint. Anyone have a clue when he might see it??

lol no flash 10.1 you were wrong... what makes u think if smasung moment cant let flash 10.1 play and same with htc hero that , the LG can besides my friends LG optimus S cant play flash even with 2.2 I want a pre from my htc hero but im gonna wait for a new palm device for sprint I asked and they told me they dont think the palm pre 2 is a big improvment but in the future 2011 HP/Palm meeting in jan they might get some goooddd ones
    Try running Angry Birds on the Optimus. And then a Pre. Suckage by LG ensues.
    How did Optimus get into the topic? Sprint has EOLed the device thus Sprint wont sell refurbs and they would be as-is anyways. HP still selling them with 1year warranty but at without contract price but they will honor the warranty for 1year. Either you pay lots for new on HP site or go on ebay/craigslist for used with slight change of warranty left for 80 bucks. Bought lots there and since their soo cheap there, who cares if it dies since you can get another there cheaper than the copay from asurion and don't have to wait 2 weeks to get it. Just my IMO.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by djkesavan View Post
    Check with www_cowboom_com - Auction site by Bestbuy - looks great to me. Look at the Auctions.
    Anyone buy one from here, i was thinking about it but i don't know if their any good?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast