1.    #1  
    The latest issue of Consumer Reports has ranked the Smartphone offerings from the 4 largest US carriers and on the carriers that have the Palm Pre or Plus, it consistently ranked LAST behind iOS, Android and Blackberry Smartphones...

Doesn't bode well for further adoption by the carriers.....
    Ouch. HP has a lot of work to do...
    I expected that as usual. Hopefully, that will change soon.
    Lets just wait till January...This might hopefully change..
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  5.    #5  
    We can only hope.... Also, at the time of this publication, Windows Mobile 7 was not even in the mix... Come January, WebOS will have an additional OS to wrangle with....
    Quote Originally Posted by pre_nc View Post
    We can only hope.... Also, at the time of this publication, Windows Mobile 7 was not even in the mix... Come January, WebOS will have an additional OS to wrangle with....
    I'm expecting WP7 to be rated higher than webOS. It seems that Microsoft really knows how to launch a brand new OS...
    CS wrote a nice blog on webos 2.0
    Pre and PrePlus hardware got dinged because of the small display and "narrow keyboard" and although they think Pre2 (probably not rated) will be "subtly" better, they are waiting for a tablet and alternate cell phone hardware designs.

This makes sense, I don't see a problem with it.

Consumer Reports Electronics Blog: The Palm Pre 2 is subtly better; webOS 2.0 is the real news
    Uh, I never look at Consumer Reports for cell phone info. I don't suppose this is going to affect purchases much. Advertising will affect adoption more than the hoity toity guys at CR.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    CS wrote a nice blog on webos 2.0
    Pre and PrePlus hardware got dinged because of the small display and "narrow keyboard" and although they think Pre2 (probably not rated) will be "subtly" better, they are waiting for a tablet and alternate cell phone hardware designs.

This makes sense, I don't see a problem with it.

Consumer Reports Electronics Blog: The Palm Pre 2 is subtly better; webOS 2.0 is the real news
    The Palm Pre 2 is subtly better; webOS 2.0 is the real news

Palm Pre 2
    Photo: HP
    Six months after HP acquired the ailing Palm, maker of the Pre and Pixi line of phones, comes word of a refresh to the Palm Pre—and more significantly, to its underlying webOS operating system.

The Palm Pre 2, available "in the coming months" for an undisclosed price on the Verizon network, will upgrade its camera from 3.2 megapixels to 5. A sleeker, more rugged construction is also promised, thanks in part to a "completely smooth glass display."

But the biggest improvements come inside, via the phone’s new webOS 2.0 operating system (no word yet on which older models will be eligible for the upgrade). Palm’s webOS launched the age of the synergized, multitasking operating system two years ago but has since lost ground to competing, better-heeled OSes from Apple, Google, and more recently, RIM and Microsoft.

WebOS 2.0 comes with a bevy of mouth-watering improvements. A feature called Stacks will group open apps so that they're more accessible. Another feature, Just Type, allows you to start an e-mail, create a message, and update your social-network status by just typing on the keyboard. It also executes internal and external searches, which can be customized with shortcuts called Quick Actions.

And finally, two years after the initial promise that it would do so, the new Palm Pre supports Adobe Flash Player 10.1 Beta. That will enable users to view Web-based videos on their pages without having to leave their browsers and launching an app such as YouTube. The browser will also support HTML5.

Other improvements:

More phone options. The webOS 2.0 phone app enables reverse-area-code lookup and Skype Mobile integration (for Verizon Wireless only). Skype customers will be able to make free international calls and send text messages from the United States to other Skype subscribers and to landlines and cell phones for lower rates.
    Built-in Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite. For the first time since the era of the Palm Treos, Palm users will be able to use Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint on their phones when they’re out of the box. They’ll also get access to Google Docs and Dropbox.
    Easier messaging. The unified Messaging app in webOS 2.0 adds Yahoo! IM and buddy management. Customers can now connect to their buddies through SMS, MMS, Google Talk, AIM, and Yahoo! IM. Data entry itself will be enhanced via Text Assist, with more sophisticated spell-checking and auto-correct tools.
    Bluetooth keyboards. WebOS 2 will support Bluetooth keyboards and Bluetooth peripherals, enabling applications such as barcode readers and realty lock boxes.
    Bottom line: While the new operating system seems spectacular, the enhancements to the Palm Pre are subtle. On a phone that’s still hobbled by a narrow, slide-out keyboard and relatively tiny 3.1-inch display, they may not be enough to send the phone to the top of our Ratings. But applied to other devices, the new features of the OS will definitely help HP compete in the Wild West world of, say, tablet computing.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Didn't CR find the iPhone 4 not worth buying due to the antenna issues?

Yeah, the country definitely listened to that tidbit of wisdom...

WyreNut
    Pre2/3/TouchPad, and TouchDroid user.
    Quote Originally Posted by WyreNut View Post
    Didn't CR find the iPhone 4 not worth buying due to the antenna issues?

Yeah, the country definitely listened to that tidbit of wisdom...

WyreNut
    LOL. CR is only worth mentioning when the Palm Pre is ranked bad.

ET
    So a phone that's a year and a half old ranks last compared to phones that are six months old or newer? Why is this news? The real story is that the Pre is still awesome and worthy of inclusion in the report at all, given the age.

Anyway, I'm gonna give this a "who cares baby?" and move on. What will be interesting is a CR analysis in late winter or early Spring, when we all are rocking our HP super phones that blow away every Android and IOS device out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'm expecting WP7 to be rated higher than webOS. It seems that Microsoft really knows how to launch a brand new OS...
    are you referring to this?
    So did Windows Phone 7 'bomb in US'? • The Register