View Poll Results: Will you contribute this telethon?

Voters
247. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I just made a donation

175 70.85%
  • Yes, I will make a donation soon

52 21.05%
  • No, but I have donated before

9 3.64%
  • No, I wont be donating during this fundraiser

13 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    rod, how has your plan for this fundraiser changed on the devices obtained at the event, what was learned at the event, etc?
    We have 16 developers who need Pre 2 devices (15 WebOS Internals plus Jason).

Sconix, Swisstomcat, codecrumb and myself have purchased UK unlocked devices at a total cost of $2600 (plus some shipping charges). One of those is in transit on a long slow trip from the UK via the US to Australia.

Rick, Oil and myself also have a device each from the NYC Dev Day.

So that leaves 9 US developers & 1 Canadian developer.

Assuming we can get these at $250 each by using developer discount coupons (those are subject to qualification, so it's not guaranteed), that's $2500, for a total of $5100 (plus taxes and shipping costs).

So a target of $6000 is a good figure to aim for, just for Pre 2 devices. Coincidentally, that's the same as the amount raised in the first telethon.

Some of those devices will be used by our CDMA-based developers to further test and debug the Sprint Pre 2 work (I cannot test any CDMA stuff from Australia).

Any surplus funds from this telethon will be put towards future devices (phones or tablets).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    $4,145... How much do you think we will hit by T-Day?
  3.    #243  
    we should definitely shoot for $6k by the end of the week.

Rod, can you ask dieter about a 'supporter' title? I haven't heard from him yet, and I think a $50 or $75 bar with an honorary title would pump up the donation size. It was a major motivator last time, too.
    we should definitely shoot for $6k by the end of the week.

Rod, can you ask dieter about a 'supporter' title? I haven't heard from him yet, and I think a $50 or $75 bar with an honorary title would pump up the donation size. It was a major motivator last time, too.
    That sounds a bit high during these times. What we need the most is quantity in donations at this time. IMHO
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  5.    #245  
    just a suggestion. It's somethinf dieter would determine, and rod to suggest a level.
    just a suggestion. It's somethinf dieter would determine, and rod to suggest a level.
    I agree with the concept, but won't be suggesting a level - we appreciate all donations, and feel it's up to the community to decide how members should be recognised for level of donations.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Just donated - $55

Thanks for all the hard work!
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    Maybe the following recognition scheme..... Only for this Fall webathon and going forward (not going retroactive to the prior web-athon)

Homebrew Supporter for <$25 --
    Top Homebrew Supporter tag for $25-$49
    UBER Homebrew Supporter tag for $50+

This way, all donations get some recognition on the site -- doesn't penalize those who are giving what they can give, but not a lot... also keeps a similar level based on the past THS tag, while also adding some incentive to give 50+ for those who can and who want the UBER tag... Thoughts?

Clearly someone would have to be keeping a spreadsheet of donors and donation-level to make this easier on Dieter...
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I agree with the concept, but won't be suggesting a level - we appreciate all donations, and feel it's up to the community to decide how members should be recognised for level of donations.

-- Rod
    Trekker had a great suggestion for tiered recognition titles (below). They could use all or break them down into just three or four broader categories.

Examples:
    * Homebrew Bronze Supporter - donation of $10
    * Homebrew Silver Supporter - donation of $30
    * Homebrew Gold Supporter - donation of $50
    * Homebrew Platinum Supporter - donation of $75
    * Homebrew Diamond Supporter - donation of $100
    EDIT: and what Greenawayj suggested above is ok too....

I will be giving my third $50 installment (during this telethon) this Friday (my Payday) and have committed to two more. (Dec. 10th and Dec. 24th)

Happy ThanKwanakkahChristgivingmas Days! (that probably offended all kinds of people)
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 11/23/2010 at 08:45 AM. Reason: to account for concurrent post above
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    $4,200 Let see if we can push it to $6,000 by Thanksgiving day.

Edited goal.
    Last edited by vza33; 11/23/2010 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Maybe the following recognition scheme..... Only for this Fall webathon and going forward (not going retroactive to the prior web-athon)

Homebrew Supporter for <$25 --
    Top Homebrew Supporter tag for $25-$49
    UBER Homebrew Supporter tag for $50+

This way, all donations get some recognition on the site -- doesn't penalize those who are giving what they can give, but not a lot... also keeps a similar level based on the past THS tag, while also adding some incentive to give 50+ for those who can and who want the UBER tag... Thoughts?

Clearly someone would have to be keeping a spreadsheet of donors and donation-level to make this easier on Dieter...
    I like that!

12.    #252  
    personally I think getting PC to do this will be easier if it is simple. But, I will pass along your suggestions if Dieter replies to me requests.

remember that PC and WOSI are not affiliated in any way. So anything PC does is generous. Also remember that there are other devs that don't benefit from this fundraiser, but still need your donations. WOSI hosts most of the patches and apps developed by others, so they incur costs that benefit those devs.

that said, having PC titles associated with donating to this effort would be a generous thing for PC to do, and which they did for donations of $30 or more during the last one. All that to say I hope PC will be willing to do it again, and we can't 'expect' or 'demand' anything from PC.

Also, I'm not affiliated with either WebOS Internals or P|C. I'm just a guy that uses about 70 patches, UberKernel, etc.

just FYI
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 11/23/2010 at 04:51 PM.
    Just donated $35. Thanks for all the hard work.
    Palm IIIx > Palm m505 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Centro > Pre- & Touchpad
  14.    #255  
    woo hoo, thanks Dieter. Looks like PC is doing the same 'title' recognition as last time ($30) and just posted a great article on the main page to point readers to this thread!

from the main page article: 'Anybody who donates more than $30 before December 1st will get to have their title in our forums changed to "Top Homebrew Supporter." '

thanks to PC for supporting this effort!
  15.    #256  
    $4,235 and climbing!
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    +$50

WebOS Internals is to Pre as delicious gravy, stuffing, potatoes, cranberries and applie pie is to turkey. Thanks!
  17.    #258  
    $4,285
    I only donated $10 about a 1 1/2 weeks ago but I will donate another $20 this friday.
    add another $15 from me
    There are four lights.