Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hey!

• Sprint Pre (newer, silver button model)
    • webOS: 1.4.5

I got a replacement Pre Minus yesterday. Everything works totally fine on it except the Palm Backup Utility (and my 'U' key is a bit funky...).

I was able to sign into my Palm Profile just fine (and it pulled in my profile fine), and can also login fine from the App Menu in the Backup Utility, but when I try and turn it on, it just spins and spins. I've left it go about 15 minutes with nothing happening. (as another try of leaving it sit, I left it spinning the whole time I've typed/edited this post and nothing)

In the system logs there's this:

Code:
    2010-11-10T16:54:38.736419Z  [238] palm-webos-device user.emerg java:  {com.palm.backup.BackupService}: Error in parsing connecting manager  callback
    That comes up about 5 seconds after hitting the "on switch" in the Backup App.

At the same time, following `dbus-util --capture` I get this (cleaned slightly for readability):

Code:
    260.011  PRV     call    220             com.palm.luna   com.palm.backup  //scheduleBackupService ¬ęstring=‚{}‚, string=‚com.palm.app.backup  1016‚¬Ľ
    260.016 PRV     call    38              com.palm.backup com.palm.accountservices        //getAccountToken       ¬ęstring=‚{}‚¬Ľ
    260.018  PRV     call    39              com.palm.backup org.freedesktop.DBus     /org/freedesktop/DBus/AddMatch   ¬ęstring=‚interface=org.freedesktop.DBus,member=NameOwnerChanged,arg0=com.palm.accountservices‚¬Ľ
    260.028  PRV     return  38      0.012   com.palm.accountservices         com.palm.backup          ¬ęstring=‚{"accountAlias":"my.email@gmail.com","accountState":"B","token":"K5126F072B9BAE7F4AF10DAD115B0BDF2","uniqueId":"Q8E59F3C81C39501902BE2047049C8635","jabberId":"{\"service\":\"j003.palmws.com\",\"user\":\"694653\",\"url\":\"j003.palmws.com\",\"port\":5222}"}‚¬Ľ
    260.050  PRV     call    40              com.palm.backup  com.palm.accountservices        /com/palm/luna/private/cancel    ¬ęstring=‚{"token":38}‚¬Ľ
    260.050 PRV     call     41              com.palm.backup org.freedesktop.DBus     /org/freedesktop/DBus/RemoveMatch        ¬ęstring=‚interface=org.freedesktop.DBus,member=NameOwnerChanged,arg0=com.palm.accountservices‚¬Ľ
    260.050  PRV     call    42              com.palm.backup  com.palm.connectionmanager      //getstatus      ¬ęstring=‚{"subscribe":true}‚¬Ľ
    260.063 PRV     call     76              com.palm.connectionmanager      org.freedesktop.DBus     /org/freedesktop/DBus/NameHasOwner      ¬ęstring=‚:1.110‚¬Ľ
    260.063  PRV     call    77              com.palm.connectionmanager       org.freedesktop.DBus    /org/freedesktop/DBus/AddMatch   ¬ęstring=‚interface=org.freedesktop.DBus,member=NameOwnerChanged,arg0=:1.110‚¬Ľ
    260.063  PRV     return  42      0.013   com.palm.connectionmanager       com.palm.backup         ¬ęstring=‚{ "returnValue": true,  "isInternetConnectionAvailable": true, "wifi": { "state": "disconnected"  }, "wan": { "state": "connected", "ipAddress": "72.60.137.112",  "network": "evdo" }, "btpan": { "state": "disconnected" } }‚¬Ľ
    260.063  PRV     return  40      0.014   com.palm.accountservices         com.palm.backup         ¬ęstring=‚{"returnValue":true}‚¬Ľ
    260.651  PRV     call    193             com.palm.phoneN :1.49    /com/palm/phoneN/tel_dataconnectionnotification ¬ęuint32=4294967293,  string=‚active‚, uint32=255¬Ľ
    260.651 PRV     call     194             com.palm.phoneN com.palm.oasisjava       /com/palm/phoneN/tel_dataconnectionnotification ¬ęuint32=4294967293,  string=‚active‚, uint32=255¬Ľ
    260.651 PRV     call     195             com.palm.phoneN :1.49    /com/palm/phoneN/tel_datastatusnotification     ¬ęstring=‚1xevdo‚,  string=‚active‚¬Ľ
    260.651 PRV     call    196              com.palm.phoneN com.palm.oasisjava       /com/palm/phoneN/tel_datastatusnotification     ¬ęstring=‚1xevdo‚,  string=‚active‚¬Ľ
    260.651 PRV     call    197             com.palm.phoneN :1.49   /com/palm/phoneN/tel_dataregistrationnotification       ¬ęstring=‚available‚, string=‚1xevdo‚¬Ľ
    260.651  PRV     call    198             com.palm.phoneN com.palm.oasisjava       /com/palm/phoneN/tel_dataregistrationnotification       ¬ęstring=‚available‚, string=‚1xevdo‚¬Ľ
    260.666  PRV     return  25              com.palm.wan     com.palm.connectionmanager               ¬ęstring=‚{"state":"enable","roamGuard":"disable","networktype":"evdo","dataaccess":"usable","networkstatus":"attached","disablewan":"off","connectedservices":[{"service":["internet","mms"],"cid":1,"connectstatus":"active","ipaddress":"XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX","requeststatus":"event","errorCode":0,"causeCode":0,"mipFailureCode":0}]}‚¬Ľ
    260.666  PRV     return  132             com.palm.wan    com.palm.luna            ¬ęstring=‚{"state":"enable","roamGuard":"disable","networktype":"evdo","dataaccess":"usable","networkstatus":"attached","disablewan":"off","connectedservices":[{"service":["internet","mms"],"cid":1,"connectstatus":"active","ipaddress":"XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX","requeststatus":"event","errorCode":0,"causeCode":0,"mipFailureCode":0}]}‚¬Ľ
    I hope someone can help. The profile on Palm's Server(s) has already been deleted, so, doctoring is NOT an option. I've bought a few apps and refuse to lose them.

I have already:

1. Verified my login.
    2. Re-told the phone my login
    3. rebooted, shutdown, pulled battery, etc.
    4. Tried with WiFi instead of though Sprint
    5. My Palm Profile on the website lists two phones, my current one, but it lists my old one as well still.
    6. Rubbed my belly while patting my head and spinning around chanting the lyrics to Paranoid.

Thank you,
    M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 11/19/2016 at 09:09 AM. Reason: removing my email address
    How would doctoring the phone loose your paid apps? Are you not using a dataplan with the phone??
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    How would doctoring the phone loose your paid apps? Are you not using a dataplan with the phone??

Because I had turned it off in order to see why it wasn't backing up on its own (and the Backup Now didn't seem to be doing anything either) which deletes the Palm Stored profile. There's no history of my apps at this point. Or am I wrong?

M.
    You're correct, according to the Palm info, turning it off deletes all prior backups.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Hey!

• Sprint Pre (newer, silver button model)
    • webOS: 1.4.5

I got a replacement Pre Minus yesterday. Everything works totally fine on it except the Palm Backup Utility (and my 'U' key is a bit funky...).

I was able to sign into my Palm Profile just fine (and it pulled in my profile fine), and can also login fine from the App Menu in the Backup Utility, but when I try and turn it on, it just spins and spins. I've left it go about 15 minutes with nothing happening. (as another try of leaving it sit, I left it spinning the whole time I've typed/edited this post and nothing)
    I face the exact same problem and I have yet to be able to find a solution inspite of having doctored my phone twice, deleted all my apps and everything else I could think of. Do read my posts for the details of my experience. Maybe you might see something that I missed. --> Palm Backup won't recreate after having been turned off.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I face the exact same problem and I have yet to be able to find a solution inspite of having doctored my phone twice, deleted all my apps and everything else I could think of. Do read my posts for the details of my experience. Maybe you might see something that I missed. --> Palm Backup won't recreate after having been turned off.

I found your thread though Google earlier actually, that's why I was trying the airplane mode/wifi/etc.!

Sadly, as you've found, nothing worked. I bit the bullet and am coming back from The Doctor right now. LUCKILY, all my apps are coming in. Nothing else was saved. I had to setup my gmail account and all that again. I do not yet know if the Back Up app is working or not. I was going to let it finish all this syncing before playing with it.

The up side is, I got all my apps back (App Catalog apps - not homebrew, of course).

M.
  7.    #7  
    UPDATE

I don't know *exactly* where I'm at, but, after The Doctor visit, all my (app catalog) apps came back in, and the Backup Utility is ON and it will do a manual backup (so it says).

I guess I have to wait and see what the next 24 hours brings me to see if it does it on its own or not...

M.
    Due note that deleting apps off the phone will not result in the loss the get them back later. Each time you install an app from the App Catalog, Palm keeps a tag on that app to your Palm Profile to reinstall later for free.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  9.    #9  
    UPDATE 2:

(sorry for not getting back here sooner...)

SO FAR (that's my disclaimer! ), my phone is running backups daily. The time of day really stinks (~8:30pm) - it would be better if it was early AM when it's plugged in. I'm not about to turn off the Backups to hope for a better time when I re-enable it because I don't know if it WILL re-enable...

M.
  10.    #10  
    UPDATE 3:

(I needed to let some time go by to see what happened)

My Pre is NOT automatically backing up but it seems to be happy with manual backups (hitting the "Backup Now" button). I suspect it has something to do with there being two Pres in my Palm Profile still, but I don't know.

Thoughts?

M.
    I have only one Pre in my Palm profile, but still the phone does nto backup automatically. I have doctored the phoen three times but still the backup will not work automatically. I too am afraid to try turning the 'backup' off/on, because based on past experience, then I won't be able to turn the backup on again. Although, Id on't see how that makes any difference since I have to do the backups manually anyhow.

If anyone wants to provide me with their palm profile email addresses I can check our servers to see if the device is automatically backing up.

It could be just a graphical glitch that it shows it's not backing up on your device, but it is backing up on our end.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    If anyone wants to provide me with their palm profile email addresses I can check our servers to see if the device is automatically backing up.

It could be just a graphical glitch that it shows it's not backing up on your device, but it is backing up on our end.

(Thank you, 'Beatz. I'll PM you my info after I type this out)

Does having more than one Pre in a Palm Profile mess things up? My first Pre was replaced a couple weeks ago and is 100% inactive (it's with Sprint, who knows what they do after I walk out of the store). The one I have now is one of the newer, silver button, ones (noticeably better slider and tighter battery!).

Just wondering. There's folks that say they have several (like >~5) and don't have issues, then there's Sanjay with only one Pre and has this problem too.

M.
    (Thank you, 'Beatz. I'll PM you my info after I type this out)

Does having more than one Pre in a Palm Profile mess things up? My first Pre was replaced a couple weeks ago and is 100% inactive (it's with Sprint, who knows what they do after I walk out of the store). The one I have now is one of the newer, silver button, ones (noticeably better slider and tighter battery!).

Just wondering. There's folks that say they have several (like >~5) and don't have issues, then there's Sanjay with only one Pre and has this problem too.

M.
    The Palm Profile system does not allow more than one device to actively tap it. When you setup your replacement pre, it gave you notification that a device is already associated with this profile and gave you option to kick that device off and hit continue. Once that older device sees internet if would then do a full erase to complete that kick off also in case that device is no longer in you hands. If that older device never see that, then its still not touching that profile acct anyways since the acct is now only accepting input from your replacement device.

Some time ago, think pre 1.3.5 OS, I too had this problem with one profile acct never doing the autobackup but all stopped after 1.4.1 update. I was resolve that glitch by turning off the backup, turn it back on and then do a manual backup.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Has anyone heard back from 'HardBeatZ' on this issue? He seems to be MIA from the forum.

16.    #16  
    Has anyone heard back from 'HardBeatZ' on this issue? He seems to be MIA from the forum.

Not a thing. I'd like to hear SOMETHING.

M.
    I've discovered a way to turn back on the Web OS Backup App withought having to resort to WebOS Doctor if, after turning it off, it can't be turned back on--the status indicator spinning circle continues spinning ad infinitum. Unfortunately I didn't discover it before resorting to WebOS Doctor myself after Palm support couldn't help resolve the issue. Believe it or not I found myself in the same predicament as before when I decided to test if the issue was completely resolved immediately after doctoring... it WASN'T!
    I believe it's a bug in version 1.4.5 and possibly prior.
    Here's my NO Doctoring solution but before, please keep in mind that I've only used this method on my Pre and no other handset. I have a an original Sprint Palm Pre running WebOS 1.4.5.

Ingredients:
    WebOS Quick Install
    SQLite Database Browser - Google it to download

Procedure:
    WARNING! This involves copying the PalmDatabase from and to the Pre, so you should HALT here if you're squeamish.
    Otherwise before proceeding I'd suggest you back up your Pre contacts, ect. with Internalz Save/Restore app or another method of your choice (*I actually used both Save/Restore and the Palm Pre Backup Utility v.1.6.1 by developer DrewPre to backup my Pre since versions 1.6.6 and 1.6.7 were reported as problematic. Although I had no problems with the Pre Backup Utility, from reading the forum it's evident that the app is a controvertial one and shall you choose to use it, it will be at your own risk; as is the rest of this procedure that follows. See forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/228303-pre-backup-utility-please-exercise-caution-utility.html.

0. Before beginning, set the Pre in airplane mode and toss all cards away.
    1. In developer mode connect Pre to computer and fire up WebOS Quick Install.
    2. From the Tools dropdown, select Receive File.
    3. Carefully type "/var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3" (no quotes) in the File field and then choose the Desktop as your Destination Folder.
    4. Start up SQLite Database Browser and open the PalmDatabase.db3 file you saved on the desktop--to be safe, at this point I would also opt to copy the file to have and original backup since we'll be modifying it.
    5. Now, select the Browse Data tab and from the Table dropdown, select "com_palm_backup_util_BackupConfig".
    6. You'll see 4 keys. Look at the "OPTIN" key. If your problem is the same as mine you'll see a value of "no" for that key. Change it to "yes" by double clicking on the cell and changing "no" to "yes" in the Edit Database Cell window and applying the change. DO NOT MODIFY ANY OTHER ENTRY.
    7. Go to the File dropdown and select Save Database to make the change official.
    8. It's now time to import the corrected PalmDatabase back to the Pre.
    9. From WebOS Quick Install Tool menu, select Send File.
    10. Select the PalmDatabase.db3 file on the desktop from the File field and in the Destination Folder field type "/var/luna/data/dbdata/".
    11. click Send To Device.

That should be it! Launch the Palm Backup app and automatic backups should be enabled. Withought even a restart. As good practice I would do a restart anyway.
    This solution worked for me on my original Sprint Palm Pre so I have no Idea if it'll work on all other versions of the handsets or any other than mine for that matter.
    It's an annoying problem so I hope it does... And let's hope it has been addressed in HP WebOS 2.0.

Good luck to all that try my method and remember that it's risky and not guaranteed to work. So take all cautions to back up your data.
    --V
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vdogg View Post
    5. Now, select the Browse Data tab and from the Table dropdown, select "com_palm_backup_util_BackupConfig".
    6. You'll see 4 keys. Look at the "OPTIN" key. If your problem is the same as mine you'll see a value of "no" for that key. Change it to "yes" by double clicking on the cell and changing "no" to "yes" in the Edit Database Cell window and applying the change. DO NOT MODIFY ANY OTHER ENTRY.

I don't have an OPTIN key. I have:

• FAILURE_NOTIFICATION_DURATION
    • DAY
    • DEVICEID
    • LASTBACKUPTIME
    • LAST_SYNCMODNUMBER

You want to know the best part? The value for last backup time is 1294878753257. In UNIX time that is Friday Jan 28, 2011. In other words 5 days from now! My last back up time is 5 days from now. Nice. Maybe that has something to do with the date in my back up app never changing!

Thank you! I'm sending this info off to HardBeatz.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 01/23/2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: typos
    I don't have an OPTIN key. I have:

• FAILURE_NOTIFICATION_DURATION
    • DAY
    • DEVICEID
    • LASTBACKUPTIME
    • LAST_SYNCMODNUMBER

You want to know the best part? The value for last backup time is 1294878753257. In UNIX time that is Friday Jan 28, 2011. In other words 5 days from now! My last back up time is 5 days from now. Nice. Maybe that has something to do with the date in my back up app never changing!

Thank you! I'm sending this info off to HardBeatz.

M.
    Really, no OPTIN key!? And I don't have LASTBACKUPTIME or LAST_SYNCMODNUMBER in mine. Is your Pre an original or Plus?

EDIT:
    I was gonna suggest the following
    --

You could try adding the Key to the entry--If you're willing to experiment a little...
    Using the SQLite Database Browser, under the Browse Data tab and in the same "com_palm_backup_util_BackupConfig" table as before, you'd create a New Record line.
    The entries in the new Record line would be:
    Key - OPTIN.
    Value - yes.
    id - It seems to get assigned automatically when the record is created.
    Class id - Its the same across my original records so safe to assume it should be the same for yours.

Mod num - I got stuck at this entry. I don't know what it is or how it works—don't know if it's a unique number to a device or the same for all the devices (like a class number or something). On my device the entry value is 126467.

If it doesn't fix it you can just re-import the backup copy of the original database.

As far as the bizarre UNIX date... that's just weird. Do you have your Pre set to network time in the Date & Time app?

Hmm! I just plugged your time is a Unix time converter and it gave me this date instead:
    Wed Jan 12 2011 19:32:33 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)—Thu, 13 Jan 2011 00:32:33 GMT.

I don't know Unix so I don't know what's up with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vdogg View Post
    I've discovered a way to turn back on the Web OS Backup App withought having to resort to WebOS Doctor if, after turning it off, it can't be turned back on--the status indicator spinning circle continues spinning ad infinitum. Unfortunately I didn't discover it before resorting to WebOS Doctor myself after Palm support couldn't help resolve the issue. Believe it or not I found myself in the same predicament as before when I decided to test if the issue was completely resolved immediately after doctoring... it WASN'T!
    I believe it's a bug in version 1.4.5 and possibly prior.
    Here's my NO Doctoring solution but before, please keep in mind that I've only used this method on my Pre and no other handset. I have a an original Sprint Palm Pre running WebOS 1.4.5.

Ingredients:
    WebOS Quick Install
    SQLite Database Browser - Google it to download

Procedure:
    WARNING! This involves copying the PalmDatabase from and to the Pre, so you should HALT here if you're squeamish.
    Otherwise before proceeding I'd suggest you back up your Pre contacts, ect. with Internalz Save/Restore app or another method of your choice (*I actually used both Save/Restore and the Palm Pre Backup Utility v.1.6.1 by developer DrewPre to backup my Pre since versions 1.6.6 and 1.6.7 were reported as problematic. Although I had no problems with the Pre Backup Utility, from reading the forum it's evident that the app is a controvertial one and shall you choose to use it, it will be at your own risk; as is the rest of this procedure that follows. See forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/228303-pre-backup-utility-please-exercise-caution-utility.html.

0. Before beginning, set the Pre in airplane mode and toss all cards away.
    1. In developer mode connect Pre to computer and fire up WebOS Quick Install.
    2. From the Tools dropdown, select Receive File.
    3. Carefully type "/var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3" (no quotes) in the File field and then choose the Desktop as your Destination Folder.
    4. Start up SQLite Database Browser and open the PalmDatabase.db3 file you saved on the desktop--to be safe, at this point I would also opt to copy the file to have and original backup since we'll be modifying it.
    7. Go to the File dropdown and select Save Database to make the change official.
    8. It's now time to import the corrected PalmDatabase back to the Pre.
    9. From WebOS Quick Install Tool menu, select Send File.
    10. Select the PalmDatabase.db3 file on the desktop from the File field and in the Destination Folder field type "/var/luna/data/dbdata/".
    11. click Send To Device.

That should be it! Launch the Palm Backup app and automatic backups should be enabled. Withought even a restart. As good practice I would do a restart anyway.
    This solution worked for me on my original Sprint Palm Pre so I have no Idea if it'll work on all other versions of the handsets or any other than mine for that matter.
    It's an annoying problem so I hope it does... And let's hope it has been addressed in HP WebOS 2.0.

Good luck to all that try my method and remember that it's risky and not guaranteed to work. So take all cautions to back up your data.
    --V

I Did almost exactly what you said (though I used internalz) and modified the Db. The Backup now "pill" showed up at the bottom and it worked like a charm. thanks
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast