Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Sure enough, mine showed 'B' as well. I've done this little hack and will report back sometime tomorrow if the backup app reports a different date/time than it does right now. I have no idea when my Pre has it's scheduled time, though.

M.

Well, over 24 hours and the date in my backup app hasn't changed.

M.
    I've seen lots of reports from members saying it isn't running automatically. It doesn't run automatically for me either... So I just do it manually.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I've seen lots of reports from members saying it isn't running automatically. It doesn't run automatically for me either... So I just do it manually.

That's what I've been doing. I've been in contact with 'Beatz about this too (though it's been a couple months since I least heard from him).

I was just hoping that this would've woken it up.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vdogg View Post
    I've discovered a way to turn back on the Web OS Backup App withought having to resort to WebOS Doctor if, after turning it off, it can't be turned back on--the status indicator spinning circle continues spinning ad infinitum. Unfortunately I didn't discover it before resorting to WebOS Doctor myself after Palm support couldn't help resolve the issue. Believe it or not I found myself in the same predicament as before when I decided to test if the issue was completely resolved immediately after doctoring... it WASN'T!
    I believe it's a bug in version 1.4.5 and possibly prior.
    Here's my NO Doctoring solution but before, please keep in mind that I've only used this method on my Pre and no other handset. I have a an original Sprint Palm Pre running WebOS 1.4.5.

Ingredients:
    WebOS Quick Install
    SQLite Database Browser - Google it to download

Procedure:
    WARNING! This involves copying the PalmDatabase from and to the Pre, so you should HALT here if you're squeamish.
    Otherwise before proceeding I'd suggest you back up your Pre contacts, ect. with Internalz Save/Restore app or another method of your choice (*I actually used both Save/Restore and the Palm Pre Backup Utility v.1.6.1 by developer DrewPre to backup my Pre since versions 1.6.6 and 1.6.7 were reported as problematic. Although I had no problems with the Pre Backup Utility, from reading the forum it's evident that the app is a controvertial one and shall you choose to use it, it will be at your own risk; as is the rest of this procedure that follows. See forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/228303-pre-backup-utility-please-exercise-caution-utility.html.

0. Before beginning, set the Pre in airplane mode and toss all cards away.
    1. In developer mode connect Pre to computer and fire up WebOS Quick Install.
    2. From the Tools dropdown, select Receive File.
    3. Carefully type "/var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3" (no quotes) in the File field and then choose the Desktop as your Destination Folder.
    4. Start up SQLite Database Browser and open the PalmDatabase.db3 file you saved on the desktop--to be safe, at this point I would also opt to copy the file to have and original backup since we'll be modifying it.
    5. Now, select the Browse Data tab and from the Table dropdown, select "com_palm_backup_util_BackupConfig".
    6. You'll see 4 keys. Look at the "OPTIN" key. If your problem is the same as mine you'll see a value of "no" for that key. Change it to "yes" by double clicking on the cell and changing "no" to "yes" in the Edit Database Cell window and applying the change. DO NOT MODIFY ANY OTHER ENTRY.
    7. Go to the File dropdown and select Save Database to make the change official.
    8. It's now time to import the corrected PalmDatabase back to the Pre.
    9. From WebOS Quick Install Tool menu, select Send File.
    10. Select the PalmDatabase.db3 file on the desktop from the File field and in the Destination Folder field type "/var/luna/data/dbdata/".
    11. click Send To Device.

That should be it! Launch the Palm Backup app and automatic backups should be enabled. Withought even a restart. As good practice I would do a restart anyway.
    This solution worked for me on my original Sprint Palm Pre so I have no Idea if it'll work on all other versions of the handsets or any other than mine for that matter.
    It's an annoying problem so I hope it does... And let's hope it has been addressed in HP WebOS 2.0.

Good luck to all that try my method and remember that it's risky and not guaranteed to work. So take all cautions to back up your data.
    --V
    I finally got around to trying this on my actual phone... and it worked! If someone created an app that would poke the value "yes" into that table automatically, they'd have a killer app on their hands.

Thanks for figuring this out. Worked like a charm!
    Thanks Vdogg. Your step by step instructions worked like a charm. I was able to perform a manual back up by simply pressing the "Back up now" button. My Verizon Palm Pre Plus Backup utility started in the "automatic back up on" mode after following your directions.
  6. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smattos View Post
    Thanks Vdogg. Your step by step instructions worked like a charm. I was able to perform a manual back up by simply pressing the "Back up now" button. My Verizon Palm Pre Plus Backup utility started in the "automatic back up on" mode after following your directions.
    Am I understanding your post correctly that after following Vdogg's steps, you were not only able to run the Palm Back Up Utility manually, but that it's also running automatically each day on its own now?

If yes, did you also follow Jeff's steps to try to "jump-start" automatic back-ups? Or somehow automatic back-ups are working for you just on Vdogg's steps alone?

If I'm understanding all this correctly, I believe you're the first one that has automatic back-ups running after following only Vdogg's steps (which is terrific for you of course!), and I'm wondering what made your experience different. Perhaps HardBeatZ might like to see your logs to see what made your situation different (again, assuming I'm understanding all these posts correctly).

If I'm misunderstanding, please feel free to correct me. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Just used this to fix my recently activated replacement Pre- on Sprint. It worked as advertised, despite getting the dreaded big plug icon/low battery icon (was 97% just before!). I guess it's the poorly fitting battery issue?? Anyway, I plugged it in, and it rebooted, and I got my Update now button back. Thanks! I hope it behaves well enough to do a daily backup, too.

Sorry, HardBeatZ, but I was too lazy to collect the log data, etc for you. If it doesn't backup daily, I may hit you up for that.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Sorry I have been away for a bit...kids will do that! Anyhow, I am still seeing regular backups, every day. I will send the requested info to HardBeatZ and see what the deal is on the back-end!

Jeff
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Just used this procedure to reset my backup. Thanks Vdogg
    Dan
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Well, auto daily backups are not happening, so I'm in manual mode for now. I've PM'ed HardBeatZ so he can walk me thru sending him what he needs to fix things on that end.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  11.    #51  
    After updating my Sprint Pre Minus to webOS 2.1 this past Saturday, my phone IS (seemingly) doing daily backups.

I can tell you that with all certainty, that I was NOT up at 2:28 in the morning hitting the "Backup Now" button. I started running a manual backup this morning when I noticed the time/date of the previous one.

I have done nothing to webOS2.1. The only thing that is different is I had made my phone the "A" phone in the DB mentioned a few posts ago, but that was done while still running 1.4.5.

M.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    After updating my Sprint Pre Minus to webOS 2.1 this past Saturday, my phone IS (seemingly) doing daily backups.

I have done nothing to webOS2.1. The only thing that is different is I had made my phone the "A" phone in the DB mentioned a few posts ago, but that was done while still running 1.4.5.

Two days in a row!

M.
    To make this a little more convenient so you don't have to copy the file to/from your desktop to modify the SQLite datebases, you can run the following commands directly from WebOS Quick Install from the Tools -> Linux Command Line.

Displays whether backups are currently enabled. If backups are not enabled, you should see "no" returned.

Code:
    sqlite3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 "select value from com_palm_backup_util_BackupConfig where key = 'OPTIN';"
    Changes the value of backups to be currently enabled. Use the previous command to verify that "yes" is returned.

Code:
    sqlite3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 "update com_palm_backup_util_BackupConfig set value = 'yes' where key = 'OPTIN';"
    Checks the value of state. Seems to return "B" for people whose backups are not working.

Code:
    sqlite3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3 "select state from com_palm_accountservices_data_AccountToken;"
    Changes the value of state to "A". Use the previous command to verify that "A" is returned.

Code:
    sqlite3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3 "update com_palm_accountservices_data_AccountToken set state = 'A';"
    Vdogg likes this.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Well, I just tried this. My WebOSQI (vers 4.0) does not have Linux Command Line under Tools. So, I used the sqlite browser option, and then I see that my database file does not have "com_palm_accountservices_data_AccountToken" anywhere. Are you working in 2.X?? (I'm still in 1.4.5)
    I was running an older version of WebOSQI and am still running 1.4.5. Note, there are two database files. One is PalmDatabase.db3 and the other is PalmAccountDatabase.db3. You may be looking in the wrong database file.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Bingo. We'll see if this gets me back in auto backup mode!

Thanks!!
    thanks for this, i was able to run the sql updates right on the device using "Terminal"
    backups now working
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Well, I changed state to "A", and still no auto daily backup. Any other ideas??
    bump

here's my situation

Got the Pre 2.
    Yesterday for the heck of it I decided to update my original pre to 2.1 just to see how it ran.
    Followed all steps necessary. It went successful.

I ended up moving my profile on my Pre 2 over to the original Pre just to test it out to see if all went well since I was using a dummy profile on the original Pre.

After moving back to my Pre 2, I noticed that apps synced properly... however, no email accounts did, nor did my palm profile contacts. So I was quite a bit shocked for that since I lost some good 40 phone numbers that I need.

Now, my Pre 2 won't perform the backup function. I get I'd say 30% done and then I get "backup failed"

Could anyone help me with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    Well, I changed state to "A", and still no auto daily backup. Any other ideas??
    This did not work for me either. I can perform manual backups, but it does not run automatically. I'm also tried to turn off backups and was unable to turn them back on without doing the database tweaks (just a never-ending spinning circle).
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast