Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    That's cool lacan019, am glad it worked for you too. 1st independent corroboration that the fundamental idea does work. Is your device a Pre "minus" or plus? I like the elegance of your approach using, Internalz; I've never used it before but I've installed it now and am gonna play with it a bit. Very powerful app so far.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vdogg View Post
    Really, no OPTIN key!? And I don't have LASTBACKUPTIME or LAST_SYNCMODNUMBER in mine. Is your Pre an original or Plus?
    It a newer Sprint Pre Minus (silver button). I have had two others and I didn't have ANY backup issues before having replacements made... (since there's two others that still show in my Palm Profile but HardBeatz has said that engineering said that is shouldn't be an issue).

I painted out my serial number (DEVICEID value), but:

EDIT:
    I was gonna suggest the following
    --

You could try adding the Key to the entry--If you're willing to experiment a little...
    Using the SQLite Database Browser, under the Browse Data tab and in the same "com_palm_backup_util_BackupConfig" table as before, you'd create a New Record line.
    The entries in the new Record line would be:
    Key - OPTIN.
    Value - yes.
    id - It seems to get assigned automatically when the record is created.
    Class id - Its the same across my original records so safe to assume it should be the same for yours.

Mod num - I got stuck at this entry. I don't know what it is or how it worksódon't know if it's a unique number to a device or the same for all the devices (like a class number or something). On my device the entry value is 126467.

If it doesn't fix it you can just re-import the backup copy of the original database.
    I don't know. Yes, you're right I could just copy it back in, but the Webos-Internalz folks have said bad things can happen if the Pre/Palm Profile don't like that DB for ANY reason. That's why Save/Restore app doesn't restore Text Messages and things like that. They've hosed some Palm Profiles testing it.

As far as the bizarre UNIX date... that's just weird. Do you have your Pre set to network time in the Date & Time app?
    Yes, I have it set for Network time/date.

Hmm! I just plugged your time is a Unix time converter and it gave me this date instead:
    Wed Jan 12 2011 19:32:33 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)óThu, 13 Jan 2011 00:32:33 GMT.

I don't know Unix so I don't know what's up with that.
    I don't know either. I just tried 5 different time converters found via Google and got 3 different conversions. Two for the date you found, two for the date I found and one for December 13, 2001... So....

M.
    So weird that you don't have the OPIN key xanadu73—My Pre is also one of the silver buttoned variety. I wonder if the key is somewhere else in your db... It might be worth checking all the tables.
    Btw, remember that save/restore saves a backup of your memos, although it doesn't restore them. You can recreate them on your Pre from the html backup if you should need to Doctor it. Before I figured the db editing procedure, I Doctored my Pre twice and restored it; it didn't matter as long as I had my contacts and memos backed up and copied on my desktop ready and able to restore (USB partition should be backup too to save photos and media, ect)... Just things to keep in mind should you decide to try adding the key.
    That's cool lacan019, am glad it worked for you too. 1st independent corroboration that the fundamental idea does work. Is your device a Pre "minus" or plus? I like the elegance of your approach using, Internalz; I've never used it before but I've installed it now and am gonna play with it a bit. Very powerful app so far.
    @Vdogg

Newer pre "minus" Born on 3/19/2010
    I used internals because I was in the car and wanted to do all the "prep work" before getting home. Impatient I know :P. But yes I highly recommended Internalz; all I did different was was:

steps 1-3:
    Launch Internalz and browse to the folder you stated (/var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3) copy it (via tapping it once) and paste it in (/media/internal/)
    Exit internalz completely and hook the Pre up to the computer in USB mode
    Browse to the Pre drive on the computer and copy then paste it on your desktop and resume your instructions at Step 4.

To copy the file back after modifications you literally do it in reverse order

Again many thanks I've been dealing with that Infinite Circle for literally 2months on the backup app.
    Just did this on 1/24 for my AT&T Pre Plus 1.4.5 that has had the "Infinite Circle" for about a month.

After several days monitoring, I can add my +1 to being able to manually backup, however it is still not performing automatic backups.

Anybody else monitor after applying this fix to see if they are getting automatic backups?

FP
    I would like to work with some people on collecting some detailed log files from users who have used to vdogg workaround and the device is able to perform a manual backup again.

This log collecting process will be pretty in depth so obviously only let me know if you have the time to invest in it

Basically what we are going to do is
    1. Turn off automatic backup
    2. Set some additional log levels on the device
    3. Reboot the device
    4. Attempt to turn on backup
    5. Collect logs if it fails
    6. Check log levels to ensure additional settings were set
    7. Toggle airplane mode
    8. Attempt to turn on backup
    9. Collect logs if it fails
    10. Use workaround that re-enables the backup application
    11. Perform manual backup
    12. Collect logs

So if you want to help out. Send me your palm profile email address so I can collect preliminary data on my end such as carrier, device, backup schedule etc.

I will then send you instructions back (similar to the ones above but slightly more detailed) and we will work with that and try to find out what's causing the issue and work to a for a lack of better words a proper solution.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  7. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    I've discovered a way to turn back on the Web OS Backup App withought having to resort to WebOS Doctor if, after turning it off, it can't be turned back on--the status indicator spinning circle continues spinning ad infinitum...Good luck to all that try my method and remember that it's risky and not guaranteed to work. So take all cautions to back up your data.
    --V
    It's worked for me as well (on a Sprint Pre)! I've been in contact with HardBeatZ, and have sent him all the logs to see if he can figure out what's been causing this issue. Thanks Vdogg and HardBeatZ!!

One thing I did want to note, for whatever it's worth... I did have to restart in order to get the Backup Utility to show it was on after replacing the database file. When I launched the Backup Utility immediately after replacing the database file (before a restart), it as still showing as Off. A reboot took care of that though!!
    Last edited by ay; 01/28/2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: To provide additional info
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I would like to work with some people on collecting some detailed log files from users who have used to vdogg workaround and the device is able to perform a manual backup again.

This log collecting process will be pretty in depth so obviously only let me know if you have the time to invest in it

Basically what we are going to do is
    1. Turn off automatic backup
    2. Set some additional log levels on the device
    3. Reboot the device
    4. Attempt to turn on backup
    5. Collect logs if it fails
    6. Check log levels to ensure additional settings were set
    7. Toggle airplane mode
    8. Attempt to turn on backup
    9. Collect logs if it fails
    10. Use workaround that re-enables the backup application
    11. Perform manual backup
    12. Collect logs

So if you want to help out. Send me your palm profile email address so I can collect preliminary data on my end such as carrier, device, backup schedule etc.

I will then send you instructions back (similar to the ones above but slightly more detailed) and we will work with that and try to find out what's causing the issue and work to a for a lack of better words a proper solution.
    I would like to participate!
    I have applied this fix and it does not do automatic backups
    How do you set the additional log levels?
    This doesn't work if you are in the on position and your phone isn't doing the automatic backups. When you look for the OPTIN Key you wont find it. You have to first turn backup to off and erase last backup. Then when you go into Sq-lite you will see the OPTIN value and it will be set to NO. So you must first turn the backups to OFF in order to get the OPTIN to be recognized as NO. I'm assuming this is because obviously there is a problem with the command or value in the first place. That is why it's not working, so it's not recognizing the OPTIN key as being there or being set to YES, in the first place.
    Hey this looks like we "might" be able to alter LASTBACKUPTIME, thus hopefully changing the time the thing does it's backup? Hmmm.
    I've discovered a way to turn back on the Web OS Backup App withought having to resort to WebOS Doctor if, after turning it off, it can't be turned back on--the status indicator spinning circle continues spinning ad infinitum. Unfortunately I didn't discover it before resorting to WebOS Doctor myself after Palm support couldn't help resolve the issue. Believe it or not I found myself in the same predicament as before when I decided to test if the issue was completely resolved immediately after doctoring... it WASN'T!
    I believe it's a bug in version 1.4.5 and possibly prior.
    Here's my NO Doctoring solution but before, please keep in mind that I've only used this method on my Pre and no other handset. I have a an original Sprint Palm Pre running WebOS 1.4.5.

Ingredients:
    WebOS Quick Install
    SQLite Database Browser - Google it to download

Procedure:
    WARNING! This involves copying the PalmDatabase from and to the Pre, so you should HALT here if you're squeamish.
    Otherwise before proceeding I'd suggest you back up your Pre contacts, ect. with Internalz Save/Restore app or another method of your choice (*I actually used both Save/Restore and the Palm Pre Backup Utility v.1.6.1 by developer DrewPre to backup my Pre since versions 1.6.6 and 1.6.7 were reported as problematic. Although I had no problems with the Pre Backup Utility, from reading the forum it's evident that the app is a controvertial one and shall you choose to use it, it will be at your own risk; as is the rest of this procedure that follows. See forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/228303-pre-backup-utility-please-exercise-caution-utility.html.

0. Before beginning, set the Pre in airplane mode and toss all cards away.
    1. In developer mode connect Pre to computer and fire up WebOS Quick Install.
    2. From the Tools dropdown, select Receive File.
    3. Carefully type "/var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3" (no quotes) in the File field and then choose the Desktop as your Destination Folder.
    4. Start up SQLite Database Browser and open the PalmDatabase.db3 file you saved on the desktop--to be safe, at this point I would also opt to copy the file to have and original backup since we'll be modifying it.
    5. Now, select the Browse Data tab and from the Table dropdown, select "com_palm_backup_util_BackupConfig".
    6. You'll see 4 keys. Look at the "OPTIN" key. If your problem is the same as mine you'll see a value of "no" for that key. Change it to "yes" by double clicking on the cell and changing "no" to "yes" in the Edit Database Cell window and applying the change. DO NOT MODIFY ANY OTHER ENTRY.
    7. Go to the File dropdown and select Save Database to make the change official.
    8. It's now time to import the corrected PalmDatabase back to the Pre.
    9. From WebOS Quick Install Tool menu, select Send File.
    10. Select the PalmDatabase.db3 file on the desktop from the File field and in the Destination Folder field type "/var/luna/data/dbdata/".
    11. click Send To Device.

That should be it! Launch the Palm Backup app and automatic backups should be enabled. Withought even a restart. As good practice I would do a restart anyway.
    This solution worked for me on my original Sprint Palm Pre so I have no Idea if it'll work on all other versions of the handsets or any other than mine for that matter.
    It's an annoying problem so I hope it does... And let's hope it has been addressed in HP WebOS 2.0.

Good luck to all that try my method and remember that it's risky and not guaranteed to work. So take all cautions to back up your data.
    --V
    Vdogg,

You put me on the right track with your above post and I have tried another db mod that seems to be working! After reviewing some of the log files for com.palm.backup out of Lumberjack, I was able to see that my device was showing up as the 'B' unit on the account. I presumed that to mean that the pre I had prior to my warranty replacement must have been the 'A' unit. I pulled the other .db3 file out of /var/luna/data/dbdata/ named PalmAccountDatabase.db3 and loaded it into SQLite Database Browser like I had done with the one you mentioned above. Under the 'Browse Data' tab there is a table named 'com_palm_accountservices_data_AccountToken' and in there is an index named 'state' and it had a value of 'B'. I changed it to 'A', saved PalmAccountDatabase.db3, and sent it back to the phone. I was then able to open the Backup application and flip the switch to on and it right away performed a backup! I will see tomorrow if it begins to auto backup and let you all know. Of course there is no immediate way of telling if I just broke something else up in the process, but we aren't getting webOS 2.0 anyhow, so what the heck? If anyone tries this, be sure to follow all of Vdogg's instructions and warnings while modifying the index of table in the db3 file I mentioned instead. I will post tomorrow if this worked or not....

Jeff
    So far, so good! My device backed itself up yesterday at about the same time I ran the initial manual one on Friday. I don't see anything out of the ordinary with my Palm Profile device list on the web and the App Catalog recognizes my purchased apps. I did notice that the Save/Restore app from Preware would not initialize, but that may be unrelated. I reinstalled it though, and it is working fine now. I will post again if any issues surface.

I am so glad to finally be free of the problem!

Jeff
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by eljefe33 View Post
    So far, so good! My device backed itself up yesterday at about the same time I ran the initial manual one on Friday.

So you're saying that the backup app is actually displaying the *proper* last back up time/date?

M.
  14. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    So far, so good! My device backed itself up yesterday at about the same time I ran the initial manual one on Friday. I don't see anything out of the ordinary with my Palm Profile device list on the web and the App Catalog recognizes my purchased apps. I did notice that the Save/Restore app from Preware would not initialize, but that may be unrelated. I reinstalled it though, and it is working fine now. I will post again if any issues surface.

Jeff
    Great news! Thanks for sharing.

HardBeatZ, any thoughts on the solution Jeff used and any potential side effects before I try this myself? My backup runs fine now manually under Vdogg's posted solution, and I'd love to be able to get automatic backups back as well, but I'm leery to try this without knowing any potential negative side effects given that my backup is running OK manually now, and I don't know how long I'll have to hang onto this phone (original Pre) before I get a sense of direction on what Sprint will be doing regarding a next (hopefully!), if any, WebOS phone. Thanks for chiming in when you get a chance!

Jeff
    Will you send me a private message with your palm profile email address to confirm that the server is showing regular backups as well.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Will you send me a private message with your palm profile email address to confirm that the server is showing regular backups as well.
    Maybe one day this will lead to a "WebOS Backup Reset tool"...but I didn't feel comfortable doing this. When my replacement arrived, I just started it like normal. The backup worked fine, but alas, was empty. Too bad palm/hp doesn't have to option to save and turn off. (Instead it's only turn off and erase).
    I'm having the same problem as other posters. Replacement Sprint Pre, no backups since January 30. I have tried the airplane toggle to no avail I have PM'd you with Palm e-mail addreess.
    Bill
    @vdogg

I followed your fix and it worked for me. Thanks so much for posting.
    Here's my saga. I was still too squeamish to try this, so I got a replacement. Sure enough, the backup ran, but so did the update when I started. As I expected, the palm Profile was EMPTY. Nothing, zilch, nada. Apps only, but no notes, calendar, data, nothin'. Then the first night, it DID run a successful backup. Eep! (I posted this up there ^^ somewhere). But today, a call to VZW forwarded me to Palm Tech support, where they found my older backup data from the last time it successfully ran, recovered it, had me to an "Erase apps and data," (which was what I had done on my own). Wonder of wonders, it worked! all my stuff is back. YaY for PTS. That's customer service!
  20.    #40  
    I was able to see that my device was showing up as the 'B' unit on the account. I presumed that to mean that the pre I had prior to my warranty replacement must have been the 'A' unit.

• I pulled the other .db3 file out of /var/luna/data/dbdata/ named PalmAccountDatabase.db3 Loaded it into SQLite Database Browser like I had done with the one you mentioned above.
    • Under the 'Browse Data' tab there is a table named 'com_palm_accountservices_data_AccountToken' and in there is an index named 'state' and it had a value of 'B'. I changed it to 'A', saved PalmAccountDatabase.db3
    • Sent it back to the phone.
    Sure enough, mine showed 'B' as well. I've done this little hack and will report back sometime tomorrow if the backup app reports a different date/time than it does right now. I have no idea when my Pre has it's scheduled time, though.

M.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast